iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: one very incredible engine

Started by slowzuki, November 14, 2003, 04:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowzuki

I didn't read the pages but there is not a physics based limit to the size of a diesel engine so I assume it is diesel.

Gasoline engines will eventually have detonation as you go to larger and larger piston diameters (if you try to keep the same compression ratio).
Ken

SasquatchMan

Can a guy run an Alaskan MkIII with that?
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Den Socling

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

I keep looking at these pictures and wondering if it's real. I did some searches and it appears to be real but unbelievable.

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Den Socling

How do you think they start it? A motor (maybe 50 horse?) is at the end of the crankshaft. Could it?

Jeff

I have stood next to some huge engines on that order, but not that big. The neighbor is a foreman for ANR pipline and I have been in with him to one of the Natural Gas Pumping stations when it had an engine down. Monstrous. They are just like other internal combustion engines only HUGE
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

That would lend a new meaning to the term "Pony" engine.  It would take at least a "Belgian" or maybe even "Percheron" engine to start that rascal.   Perhaps they would even be used in teams, eh? :D

Sawyerfortyish

I'm glad I don't have to change the oil in that  ;). Can you imagine filling it a quart at a time :o

Jeff

It was funny to see those huge natural gas pumping engines had normal everyday spark plugs.

Den Socling

I keep thinking about things like wrenches. How would you torque those head bolts? How would you even get the nuts on and finger tight?

And what about the muffler? Can you imagine the kaboom over a three foot diameter piston with a 111,143 cubic inch displacement? 7780 HP per cylinder?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Jeff

Maybe I can get over to ANR and Tom will let me take pictures.

The muffler looks like a large smoke stack. The radiator is a large wall out side

EZ

Ed_K

It's certainly BIGGER than the 16 cylinder I saw at Cat  :o :o :o.
Ed K

Tom

A D500, Ed :D    It would move mountains....maybe mountain ranges. :D :D

Stump Jumper

They started some large engines with air pressure right into the cylenders 1 at a time in sequence to get the engine rolling over and up to speed and then they could fire it up.

As far as the ANR pipeline gas pumping stations the engines there are rolled over with natural gas pressure until they are up to speed to fire them up.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

DanG

Wow!  Reckon how big of a headsaw you could twirl with that baby. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Frank_Pender

I would like a mini versions for my head rig, please.   :D

Frank Pender

Mark M

I had a motor just like that in my weed eater but kept breaking the starter rope so had to replace it with something smaller.

Frickman

Can you imagine all the head scratching that took place when they were designing that monster? Besides for the sideways force exhibited by the connecting rod, what other accomodations did they have to make? Even just figuring out how much the various pieces would expand and contract with varying temperatures is enough to make my head spin.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Den Socling

Probably, archaeologist will someday look at one of these engines the same way we look at the pyramids and wonder how we did it.  :D

rebocardo

Imagine the engine mounts needed for a 2300 ton engine :-D

I bet the 102 rpms keep it down to a low rumble sort of vibration.

Typhoon

That is the same exact engine that I have in my chainsaw. Im always sore at the end of a long day sawing.
 :o :o :o :o :o
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

dail_h

How bout the lathe to turn the crank?   Aw dang Fred,we gotta shim it up anudder thou.to true ;D ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

etat

That sure would make a nice little trolling motor.  Probably would get me one but the pond is just a little too small.  Would like to hear it crank up though.  Wonder how big the prop is for that thing?  Sure would hate to be the one that has to pull the cord.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Thank You Sponsors!