iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st Time in 8 Years!

Started by Norm, November 26, 2010, 09:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

That I haven't had to work the Friday after Thanksgiving!

We have an early doe season that starts today also so I'm drinking coffee and waiting for the sun to come up a little higher to keep from freezing out there. Patty headed down to her Mom's place to shop with her sister's, I called the CC company to report her card as stolen. :D

What are the rest of you out there doing today?

sawguy21

Boy, just you wait till she gets home. :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

After the rain stops, I'm going over to our cabin and hunt this evening and tomorrow.  This NW wind will be dropping the temps all day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Well, sent off a parcel and went for a walk in the woods. Must be a dead moose on the back of the farm, ravens going crazy and an eagle hanging around. Adds up to dead carcass to me.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

Working as usual. There's been so much precipitation up in the north woods that I am far behind on the two jobs I have to complete by spring. Some weeks ago when I just moved into one job they got 5 inches of rain over one weekend and that stopped everything. Then three weeks ago deer season started and a week later they got 10 inches of heavy wet snow and that brought everything to a stop again.

The only good thing is the mills are running short of wood and are raising prices a little bit. Plus you don't seem to need quota anymore and I've got about 1300 cords to move by spring, if I get to it. Just hope we do not get snowed under.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

pineywoods

Quote from: Norm on November 26, 2010, 09:44:40 AM
That I haven't had to work the Friday after Thanksgiving!

What are the rest of you out there doing today?

Sitting by the fire, groaning with a belly ache and hitting the alka seltzer  :)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

paul case

notn working today and my boss is a real pain about that.
i would rather be sawing than visiting inlaws(who dont seem to care if we are here or not). i will be fixing a screen door for my wife's aunt who is a widow.
NORM!!!!!
you are gonna be in a heap of trouble when patty comes home!   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Mark K

Norm, wish I'd thought of that but I'd end up in the dog house! Wife left at 3:30 this morning with her sister and mom. I decided to try and go to work this morning. Made the 47 mile trek down to the woodlot to find they got a ton of ran last night. Landing is right full of equipment, gas well company is moving in. Seems to be a lot of drilling going on down there.  So I went deer hunting instead  ;D. Hopefully it'll be dryer Monday.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

fishpharmer

Norm, good for you getting the day off.

Its supposed to get down to 26 here tonight.

I might just go deer hunting.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bill Gaiche

8 yrs is a long time. 23 degrees this morning. Myself, planed some ERC for two Cedar chest for Christmas presents. bg

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Worked on a walnut bedside table as a present to my daughter for Christmas.  My son-in-law harvested a very large buck off my property yesterday, but it is raining today, so no hunting.  However, the hogs need a thinning, so maybe he can resume tomorrow.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Banjo picker

I have been building a logging winch to go behind the tractor...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

tyb525

This is the first day in a year that I've worked all day at the tire/mechanics shop. (It's usually 2 hours a day).

It also was the first day this week that it didn't rain, and I would've rather been sawing. >:(
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Coon

Well for starters I cleaned my rifle today for another day of hunting tomorrow.  I also got my ice fishing stuff ready for tomorrow.  We will hunt in the morning on our way out to the lake then do a bit of ice fishing and then hunt on our way back home. 

I also spent part of the day today getting my chainsaws ready for the winters logging season.  I found a job finally and will need my saws.  We have 100,000 bdft of spruce, 40,000 bdft of aspen, 20,000+ bdft of white birch, and about 40,000 bdft of tammarack rails to take out plus countless cords of firewood.  I will find out on Monday when we are allowed to go into the forestry and start.  Hopefully it is froze up enough and they will give the go ahead.  ;D  I am really looking forward to spending another winter in the bush.  Will most likely be staying in camp through the week and weekends off unless the weather dictates otherwise. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Magicman

I've been putting off replacing a squealing bearing in my Debarker.  Since it was raining today, I took the Debarker off of the mill now it's in a warm dry shop.  Tomorrow is another day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bill m

Rained overnight so I worked on saws this morning. Went to the job site and just chopped the rest of the day.
Quote from: Banjo picker on November 26, 2010, 05:38:04 PM
I have been building a logging winch to go behind the tractor...Tim
Any pictures yet?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

isawlogs

Feezing rain here overnight , put the tire chains on the tractor this morning, I hate freezing rain.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

We've been saving up to try and replace our decrepit 20 year old washer and dryer.  We knew about what we had to spend. Well, a sears black Friday add came out that had a sale for a set that was twice as nice as what we were going to be able to buy at 51% off.  Needless to say, we got up at 2:30 A.M. and drove to Mount Pleasant and got in line. We stood in line for over an hour and were able to get the units that were on sale.  I've never ever been talked into going to a black Friday sale and odds are I will never be talked into it again. we had -7 windchill here this morning. 

While in line in the store, I did get my Christmas shopping done for my brother-in-law as one of the specials they had was a whole set of ratchet wrenches normally $90 for $29. Other then my immediate family, I don't buy presents for anyone else other then Pete, and he buys for me. A tradition we have had for 33 years.  The first Christmas present he ever got me I still have. A commemorative box of Winchester Wells Faro 30-30 shells. Nickle cartridged silver tipped bullets.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Jeff
Ms Christine told Burlkraft and I (and Jill) this noon that they too picked up the Sears washer/dryer combo for half price. But she claims she didn't get Mr. Christine out of bed to go stand in line.  ::) ::)

Had fried smelt for lunch.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

I despise the Friday after Thanksgiving.  I always have to go into the hospital (2 surgeries this AM), which is fine.  I like what I do.  But the offices are closed that day, just like today, and every patient that needs a call back or a new perscription seems to think that the offices should be open.  As obviously the officies are closed on Thanksgiving, this gives the patients two full days of questions or problems to be laid upon a closed office.  So, as the ususal office staff to handle those calls is off shopping, the calls get routed to us, one way or the other.  Don't mean to complain about patients...they generally are appropriate and fun.  But the load of communication required today is much larger than most days.  It's like swatting flies all day....Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Texas Ranger

Doc, you can complain here, most of us have or will, and most of us understand the need every now and then to vent.

Why, just the other day when my mother in law.......................................

8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Gary_C

doctorb, I sure do enjoy having you on the FF and hope you do not get pestered with medical questions to the point you forget about us. And we don't mind you relating your problems with patients as those of us that have tried to sell wood in a retail setting sure know how much of a pain that customers can be.

A few years ago I cut a pine thinning job on a property owned by a doctor from the Mayo Clinic. I believe he was a pediatric transplant surgeon and it was obvious he loved spending time on his retreat and sure could talk about the Scotch Pines and other trees he had nurtured on that property.

You said that you had two surgeries Friday. Are you primarily a surgeon if i might ask?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

I like fried smelt to, but like brook trout equally as well, maybe better.  8)

Jeff, at least you were standing in line for something needed and not just wanted. ;)

Norm

Well after freezing my lower posterior off all day I'm not sure working in a warm office fielding calls from those pesky Dr's wasn't a better idea.  ;D

As par for the course I got in started a fire and sat down in my office to watch about a dozen deer grazing in the alfalfa field just north of the house. I grabbed the gun and slowly slide open the east patio door to see if I could sneak a shot off. Sure enough it squeaked at about half open and they took off like a bullet. When Patty came home at dark she said 4 of them were grazing next to the gate.  :D

The season lasts through Sunday and the weather is going to warm up into the low 40's so I'm going to head out after breakfast. Patty is heading out to Ames for some more shopping. I was kidding about the CC as she really never spends any money and only goes because her sisters go.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!