iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

landing management

Started by madmari, November 26, 2010, 07:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

Anyone ever use a small excavator with a thumb for stacking wood?
Our landing seems to always be a mess, pulling tree length wood for high production. The skidder blade doesn't do the best job of cleanup, especially on a soft deck.
  Thought about a yard truck, but it seems like a alot of resources spent for cleanup and anthing affordable isn't roadworthy.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :P
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

Holmes

I have tried to use my 12,000 lb excavator with a mechanical thump to move logs it did not work well. That is more a mechanical thumb problem , I have rented small excavators with hydraulic thumb and they work great. It is really nice to have the 360 degree turning radius compared to the 180 degree radius of a backhoe.  Holmes
Think like a farmer.

TravisMVL

My old buisness partner had a 1999 John Deere 120C which I would use all the time for stacking and bucking wood on jobsites. Very handy for making roads out in the woods too.
It had a thumb with three fixed positions- it takes a little skill to use it correctly, a hydraulic thumb would be better. IT also had a blade on one end wich was very handy. Be carefull grabbing small wood, if you tighten it in the bucket too hard it can implode and cave into the bucket causing the log ends to fly towards the machine on either side like enourmous base ball bats! I never had a problem with it, but I saw my old partner blow out several windsheilds, he's lucky he didn't kill himself.
It's really not designed for doing logging work like a decent yard truck with a log grapple, but it will get the job done quickly.

tlandrum

i have no problems keeping my landing up but i have a knuckle boom. if your logging its a must for high production.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Maine372

a skidsteer or tractor with forks works excellent.

i kept a very clean landing when i was tractor logging. ive also seen alot of guys with imaculate yards running just a skidder.

i think the trick is to only pile wood on one side of the yard so you have space to back your skidder up and push on the wood square. pull your wood up past the pile, unhook, back over the hitch with the blade down to butt the ends even together, pull up past the wood, back along it and turn the back end away from the wood, now the skidder is set to push the wood evenly up onto the pile. sure you gotta do a little detail work but this gets the wood close.

this trick will save you one trip on and off the machine. leave that wood full length on the pile, when you come out with the next hitch, and get off the machine to unhook, cut up the previous hitch then. if your trucker comes while youre in the woods he can just toss that wood to the back of the pile. i counted one day and that save me getting off and on the machine 15 times. that makes a difference at the end of the day.

Thank You Sponsors!