iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short YouTube video of milling Eastern Red Cedar with homemade mill.

Started by fishpharmer, November 24, 2010, 08:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Nothing real special unless you have never milled Eastern Red Cedar (ERC).
The old homemade band mill still cuts good although I had to rebuild the carb before the job thanks to ethanol gas.

Enjoy if you can watch videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_7wIs1mXc
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

metalspinner

I can't get enough of ERC. :)

Do you have  a clip of the entire mill ?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Wintergreen Mountain

1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

fishpharmer

MS and wintergreen thanks.

Here is an agonizingly long video of my homemade mill.  The best part is the dogs behind the mill ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8NqF0qbljE

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I got a call last night about sawing ERC.  They've built a new hunting camp and want the interior paneled with ERC.  Probably ¾" stuff.   I have sawed it ½".   That's not an unusual request here for cabins and camphouses.

That will be an hourly rate job.  Fish, where are you when I need you  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

These were sixty inch long logs.  The guy wanted some 2x stuff to make a mantle.  I didn't get a pic but hit my first log dog.  Not the kind running around behind the mill.

MM you got my number, what does it pay? :D

Magicman

Yup, that's lumber.   You needed those planks to walk on.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Fish looks like it is cutting good but.... I think you could invest in some belt guards to help retain all your digits, you never know when you might slip, trip or just not pay attention where you place your hand when looking at something else. The next thing you know you will only be able to order two beer at a time.

Short story for you.

I got a friend who moved out to a small community in the country side, for a little while he thought that half his neighbours really didn't like him because of the had gestures he would get back when he waved to them when he met them on the road but it turns out that for some reason a unproportionally large number of them had lost a few fingers due to accidents.

fishpharmer

Thanks Hilltop, losing body parts wouldn't be good.  Thanks for the advice.

A belt guard is on my to do list,   but you really don't want to see how long my "to do" list really is.

And thanks MM too, I think.

Cedarman

I agree with Hilltop.  Guards are a must.  I look for safety problems all the time in our mill.  It was the first thing I noticed on the video. 
Nice cedar.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

customsawyer

I don't know if you can now but if you could get the other blade guide moved in closer to the wood it might speed things up.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Thanks Cedarman and Customsawyer.  I still have a lot to learn. :P

beenthere

I enjoyed the vid.
But thought that stepping over the cross supports looked to be a tripping hazard and placing some boards down to make a walkway would be a solution.
Also, bothered me when the young lady walked around the end of the mill head. Blade break and shooting out that direction is what came to mind.
Just things I think about after reading many pointers on the FF over a few years.
The open belt (even tho everything had open belts when I was a kid) on the drive was the first thing that popped into my small brain.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

paul case

hey nice video fish,
was your blade dull? when i cut erc, if the blade isnt real dull it cuts right on thru. probably make a cut on a 8' log in 12 to  20 seconds. the board moved a little when the saw came out makes me think it was a little dull. but it is a nice video and neat looking erc lumber. keep up the good work. btw i am a little jealous, i dont have the equipment to make videos and post them.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishpharmer

Beenthere I appreciate the concern.  I am seriously thinking about suing the manufacturer of my mill.  Except I tend to oppose lawsuits in general and don't think I  would get much. ;) :D.  I really appreciate the concern.

Paul, thanks. The blade may have been dull.  Its easier for me to post videos than pics.  I can just cut and paste.  This phone thats so smart has a built in video camera.  Its as easy as taking a pic.  Or else I couldn't do it.
The ERC was a last minute decision as I was admiring the red wood.  The mill will cut faster, its BIG and not easy to push.  Especially one handed.

SwampDonkey

Well, I can't watch the videos on my connection.  ;) But, I'm glad to read that your producing lumber at least.  ;D  :) Be careful and mindful out there.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

customdave

Neat videos, man would I like to get my mitts on some ERC! Thanks Fishpharmer, & play safe....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Cedarman

Dave, if you drive your truck down to the states, there should be plenty of us that would be willing to fill it up  with ERC.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

laffs

timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

fishpharmer

Thanks Dave and laffs.  I've been having some problems with my hydraulics :D

The man for ERC has spoken, Cedarman has forgot more about cedar than I know.

Thank You Sponsors!