iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanksgiving Turkey.

Started by Magicman, November 24, 2010, 09:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I delivered a load of White Oak slabs to Jerry yesterday evening.  Yup, the doorbell just rang and in walked Jerry with a smoked turkey. MMMmmm.

Jerry's Smoked Turkey.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

You are going to eat very well. MMMMmmm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jasperfield

It looks like we've been underestimating the value of slabs.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chris Burchfield

As a kid I didn't like a baked turkey.  It was always dry.  Later in life as a young teenager, I ate some of my grandmother's turkey at Thanksgiving.  Man, I found out what had been kept a family secret.  The turkey was seasoned with shaved salt pork (4" X 4" X 1 1/2" block) , 3 - 4 large sweet onions, two to three tablespoons of crushed red pepper, some black pepper in a roasting pan about 1 1/2" of water.  The seasoning above is placed inside the cavity, around the bird and worked under the skin.  A twenty pound bird should bake covered at 300°F. for six hours.  Prep time not included place the bird in the oven at 11:a.m. and it's ready by 5:p.m.  The bird is moist and falling apart.  The drippings in the pan is best over fresh cathead buttermilk biscuits and white rice.  Some in the family will put it over dressing, I have in a pinch.  You still have the rest of sides for regular Thanksgiving Turkey meals.  Cranberry, spiced peaches, bacon wrapped stringbeans with brown sugar (baked), corn puddin, butterbeans, marshmellow-jello-fruit-walnut salad, ambrosia, pumpkin pie, chess pie, coconut cake, pound cake.  I think that about cover's it.  My prayer is wishing everyone in the world could eat everyday as good as we do, protect the innocent and bring all of our troops home safely.  The family recipe above I'm told, is over 150 years old.  I think the reason I didn't like the dry turkey is cause they wouldn't let the kids have the good stuff cause it had the crushed red pepper in it.  I've been trying to make up for the lost years.  :D :D :D

I have found two other ways I do like turkey.  One is to smoke a fresh, unfrozen bird described in this thread.  The other is deep fried with cajun seasoning injected.  Yum, Yum!

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

WDH

If you brine it first, then slow smoke it, it will be so juicy that you can't stand it  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raider Bill

Quote from: WDH on December 07, 2010, 11:16:55 AM
If you brine it first, then slow smoke it, it will be so juicy that you can't stand it  ;D.

It's amazing what brine does to tenderize and moisten a bird.I've brined,  smoked and also deep fried after brineing.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Brine is fine wine in my experience.

Thank You Sponsors!