iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flag Case

Started by Norm, November 22, 2010, 11:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Just need to get a piece of plexiglass and some finish on it.

I haven't decided what to use for the back of it. I thought about cutting a piece of walnut on the mizer real thin and sanding it down but I'm not sure it will hold up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Raider Bill let me know when you'll be back in Florida so I can ship it out.

metalspinner

That looks good.  I like the little ears on each bottom corner. :)

A groove like the one for your plexi glass along the back edge will house a back just fine.  An 1/8" back should be plenty strong enough for that little box.  If you use a piece of 1/8" plywood, you can glue it in the groove for added structural integrity.  But if you use solid wood, you should only glue along the grain of one side.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

Norm
Cut three thin pieces of walnut, and cross laminate them like plywood. Then maybe make a light pass or two through the planer (on a skid) to thickness if desired.
Sand and finish.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pigman

I just use 1/4 in plywood for the back and fasten it in a rabbit with small screws.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

I like the little ears too.  Looks much better than a miter.  On the one that I made, I used 1/8" plywood for the back.  The inside of the back piece was covered in black felt to provide a dark background.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

I know the government furnishes a very poor quality flag that is thin, but after it is folded several times I don't think the back of the case can be seen through the flag. Maybe if the Honor Guard folded the flag small the back could be seen around the flag. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Norm

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated.  :)

The first one I made had a simple miter on the bottom piece. I thought for this one I'd try something different and hoped it wouldn't be to busy. It came from a piece of crotchwood with the inclusions left as is.

Thanks to Pineywoods for the great tutorial he pointed me to on how to make one.

Raider Bill

Norm,

Thanks!!!!!!

I will be back in Florida the end of this week. Time to face realitity again.

Bill
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

Jeez Bill I try to avoid reality at all costs!

Been working good so far.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!