iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Re: Where were you 40 yrs ago when you heard the n

Started by etat, November 14, 2003, 04:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etat

in school.  1st grade.  Lots of folks running up and down the halls crying and screaming.  Sent us all home. Imprinted on my brain forever.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

I was leaving my Botany class at the U. of Ga. and saw three girls jovially skipping along talking about someone being shot. I thought they were just being jerks.  I didn't know about Kennedy until my wife picked me up a couple of minutes later and then I knew they were jerks.

Stan

In my car, which I immediately turned around and headed for the guys house, who'd never heard of the zero factor. He offered me million to one odds, and I bet a penny. He welched on the bet.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Gus

I was in school that day and when new arrived they said nothing to us younger pups; they just sent us home. It was my mother that told me and it really meant nothing to me as a six year old. It had a profound impact on my mother, who is an active democrat, for that reason it is still one of my hallmark memories as a child.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

bull

wasn't even a gleam in my fathers eye
 by the way what news

oldsaw

I was 1 1/2.  I do have a memory of my mother watching TV and crying and not being able to make her feel better.   I just remember being scared.  One of only three things I remember before the age of 3.  Both of the others have to do with fishing.  Getting tied to the wall of the icehouse so I wouldn't fall in, and playing in a minnow bucket.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

sherwood

I was in the hospital after shooting my right eye out with a BB gun. :'(
Pain in life is mandatory. Suffering is optional.

EZ

At that time I was in a Catholic school, next thing I know everybody started crying. The main Preist order all of us to the main chapel, and everybody was to pray. I still did'nt know what was going on, but I was praying. ::) They say he was a great man, I dont really know, I magine he was probally better then some of these knuckly heads we have had in there. Hope I dont get in trouble for saying that.
EZ

dail_h

I was in Mr James R. Tate's sixth grade history class when they announced on the intercom that he was shot. A few minuets later the principal came back on and said he was dead,and let school out.I didn't like him much,but even as a kid I knew that it was a bad time.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

woodmills1

fifth grade, they sent us home, the teachers were cryin, we didn't know why till we got home.  Ranks with 9/11 and the shutlle disaster day, non worse.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bro. Noble

I was on my way home from Iowa State Univ.for Thanksgiving break.  Was riding with a guy from a neighboring  town along with three other people.  One was a girl I had gone to highschool with.  We stopped to eat at Amana Iowa (right close to Al and Linda's present location) and I got better acquainted with that girl.  She asked me this evening if I knew where we were 40 years ago ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

I was a senior in high school, and in a program where I took academic courses in the morning and trade school in the afternoon. I was studying radio and tv repair. We had just gotten an old tv working and were adjusting the color on it, when the news broke, so I got the news before most folks.
I was also in the Civil Air Patrol, and we provided the Color Guard for the HS football games. It was decided to go on with the game that night, because "it was what he would have wanted."  I was the guy that lowered the flag to half-mast after it was whisked to the top by my partner.
I was never a Kennedy fan, but that moment sure gave me some king-sized goose bumps.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Sawyerfortyish

I was only about a year and a half old but have heard the story from mom and dad of where they were and what they were doing when they heard the news. Must have been a well liked president a lot differant than when Reagan got shot.
 I would say it will be rememberd in that generation just like 911 will be in this generation. Never forget where I was on 911 when I heard what was going on.

jwood

L. Wakefield

I was in science class, in 7th grade. I had felt very positively toward JFK because of the space program. I'd been in about 2nd grade or maybe 3rd when Yuri Gagarin did his trip in space, and I was caught up in the idea of us doing so well at getting out there (and getting back).

It's true, there were many things going on there that were just as sleazy as what has gone on more recently, but we all seemed to be more innocent and trusting then.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Texas Ranger

On the bank of the Rhein River at a place called Camp Bobby Thomas, doing a field alert with the 7th Army.  We received a flash message that shook up the command, and set the gears in motion to release the basic TO&E ammunitions to the troops.  Then WE were shook up.  Stayed on armed alert for about a week before things selttled down.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Den Socling

I was in 9th grade and sitting in POD (Problems of Democracy). I always thought that was ironic. My mind was just beginning to become confused and perplexed by the world and people's actions. This was followed by 20 or 30 years of rebellion.  >:( I guess in the past 10 years I have begun to mellow out but I'll never be a Tom or Bibby.  :D

Norm

I was in 2nd grade when we heard the news at school. One of the few times we were allowed to watch TV at school. Too young to really know much about politcs.  

Don't think much of him as a president but the space program was one of his best moments no matter what the reason they had for doing it.

Stan

Sawyer 40,
He was by about half the people in the country, the other half didn't much care for him. Which is why he went to Texas in the first place. Mort Saul, after the election said, "It must be tough, seeing two people together and knowing, one of them voted for Nixon".
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Bro. Noble

Dad's folks were strong Republicans and Mom's equally strong Democrats.  I remember one Thanksgiving dinnier at Mom's folks.( this was when that Independant George W.------not the father of our country :D) was in the race.  On the way to the dinner Mom made Dad promise not to get into it with her Dad or brothers,  no matter what was said.  The Demo.  candidate was a real left-wing radical.  The aunts and Grandma must have given similar ultimatums cause it was a real quiet dinner.  Eventually the topic just had to turn to current events.  Seems like all present claimed to be backing the Independant :D

Sawyer,  you need to get your historical information from additional sources ;)

RavioliKid

I was in third grade at the time. They didn't tell the kids in my class, although my brother - in kindergarten - heard the news at school.

I got the news when I was walking home. Some older girls got off the school bus a block from my K-3 school and they were talking about it. I can still point the the spot I was standing when I heard the news.

Those were tense time in the world. I have vivid memories of calling my mother to the TV whenever a "special bulletin" would be broadcast. She would come running.

RavioliKid

Sawyerfortyish

Bro. Noble
History was never really a good subject for me in school ::)

Bro. Noble

Sawyer 40,

I was in a barber shop once where the loafers got to bickering about who was a good president and who was a bad one.  One old fellow who had been quietly taking it all in finally settled it by declaring " you could put all them guys in a big barrel and roll it over the hill and you'd have an A** Hole on top all the time"   :o   :D    He was probably right.  Seems like the ones that I can remember that were the most decent people weren't necessarily the best presidents. :-/

cut2size

I was in the fifth grade.  We must have been in an economic slump because our music teacher was on the radio instead of the classroom.  She taught all of the county elementary students at the same time.  Anyway our music lesson was cut short by the announcement of the shooting.  We listened to the news the rest of the school day.  We were not released early, but there were no more classes that day.
David
cut2size

OneWithWood

I was in the 4th grade, St. Barnabas school in Alameda, Ca.  The principal stuck her head in the door and said the presindent had been shot.  Sister Gemma asked us all to stand and pray for the president.  A few moments later Sister Evelyn again stuck her head in and said the president had died.  We then said a prayer for the country and were dismissed.  Most of our parents were in the military. When I got home dad was in uniform watching the TV.  The phone rang, he answered it and then told my mom he had to go to the ship.  He was on board for a week.  
The world changed that day.  It took another turn for the worse on 9/11.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!