iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member with a Dolmar and some questions.

Started by M.Darnell, December 30, 2010, 12:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.Darnell

Hello all. New member with a few questions. I just traded my new (used it one day for 3 tanks) MS290 for a used Dolmar PS9010.  Is there any issues with this saw I need to know about? I am about 20 miles from a dealer so that is no issue.  Also I plan to run a 28" bar but would like to have a bigger spare just in case, Any ideas where I can get a bigger bar CHEAP it would not be used but a few times a year so durability would not be a major issue. Thanks for any info. 

John R

Was there a problem with your MS 290?
Most of the time when people get a good saw, they keep it.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

M.Darnell

I will try not to make this too long.  I had a 290 with the adjustable oiler and a muffler mod. A friend I was helping dropped a tree on it, So he takes it to try and have it fixed. When they say it can't be fixed he replaced it with a brand new 290 before talking to me. If he had I would have gotten a bigger saw and payed the diffrence. Well the new saw did not have the adjustable oiler and after a day cutting saw logs with it, I was just plain mad at the saw.  It was a good saw just not enough for what I needed. The 9010 belonged to a local logger who picked up a MS440 back in the spring and had pretty much retired the 9010. Then sold it to a mutual friend who needed a saw, Friend said it was too heavy for him and wanted to trade it for my 290. I did a quick internet search on my phone, Realised what it was worth and I didn't mind the weight.  Sence we have a good Dolmar dealer local I made the trade.              Sorry so long.  I hope this explains things some.  I think it was a good trade?

Ianab

At least your friend tried to do the right thing with the new saw.

You probably did OK on the deal, as long as the Dolmar is in good condition.

I think the only complaint about them is their weight, if that doesn't worry you , keep cutting   ;D

A 55cc consumer grade saw, vs a 90cc Professional saw.. You should notice the difference.  :D

I have a ms310, and Dolmar 7900, guess which one I use the most  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

weimedog

No replacement for displacement.

Two places to look for long bars...one is Baileys , you can view their catalog online. A while ago they have Stihl mount and Jonsered mount long bars on sale for a very low price. I would also submit that if that big Dolmar is your only saw, consider a reduced weight bar. Bailey's sells the Oregon reduced weight bar. For less money there is the Sugihara brand reduced weight bar. They sell direct from the distributor on ebay. Actually reasonably priced. (I have two) One on a 87cc Jonsered 920 working saw for me..the difference MAKES a difference to this old back!

Bailey's..and its easy to adapt a large mount stihl with spacers to just about anything.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CPX%2032%20SS50&catID=59

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ladylake

Since when did the heavy and underpowered MS290 turn into a good saw, that was a good trade .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

M.Darnell

I was wondering if the adapter they sell is for the big or little mount husky.  I will also start checking ebay.  As for the 290, The first one was ok after the muffler mod. The new one seemed alot weaker, Add in the oiler issue and it was stupid hard to restart after running out of fuel. Also never liked the all in one switch on a stihl. It all added up to a saw that I just hated.      Now more questions. I am going to replace the air filter, Do I need to replace the prefilter also?  And how do I adjust the oiler?  I was under the impression it was easy to do but have not found it yet.

weimedog

What I typically do for adapters is to take "nuts" with the dist across the hex flats a bit larger than the Stihl mounting slot...drill out the threads to a slip fit over the bar studs and then flat file the "flats" on two side to slip fit into the bar slot...cost me very little but time and they are strong...you can make the fit as snug as you see appropriate where as most of the bar adapters I have seen are a bit loose for my liking.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Cut4fun

9010 is a easy one to find longer bars for new and used. It's a large husky mount.  Link below to help you out.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/BMP/17?OpenDocument

Al_Smith

Bar adapters are relitively easy to make .All they are is basically a thick washer easy to turn out on a lathe .I suppose though you could cut off metric round stock to length and drill out the center and get the same thing .

I got on to it because long bars are getting hard to find for large Mac and Homelites but Stihl mount bars are plentifull .

nmurph

al, so will s 3003 mount bars work on a mac 125? i have a 60" that is just too large for anything around here. i have a 36" that i coud make some adapters for, it the oilers will line up. i have an 064BB to pull the bar, but the 125 is fun for stumping!

Al_Smith

I don't know what all those numbers mean but yes a large Stihl mount can be adapted to a 125 Mac . In addition to the spacer washers you have to do some alignment on the bar tightener and oil hole .That's not a big deal though .

As yet I'm still fumbling with posting pictures but if you go to Mike Acres site and look up the Mac 125 ,that yellow one of mine has a Windsor 36" 084 Stihl mount bar on it . Using the standard driver count  that Stihl uses though the 125 needs to run a 7 tooth .404 rim instead of an 8 tooth which is pretty much standard . I can't remember if it's 105 drivers or 109 .

Al_Smith

After thought .Now on those smaller Stihl mount like from 026 to 066 sizes there isn't enough width on the tail stock I don't think to adapt to a large Mac .The old Macs and Homies had pretty wide bars .

If I recall correctly also the 084 size Stihl needs a little more width on the tail . I toyed with the idea of using the smaller mount on an 084 but it wouldn't have worked I soon found out .You never know until you try .

M.Darnell

Hope everyone had a safe and happy new years.    Now will the oil holes line up on the stihl bar or would I need to modify it?  Also I recall watching one of the logger shows where they kept the spare/long bar in what looked like a metal case (something like a small gun case), Anyone know where I might find something like that. It seems alot better than having the bar and chain bouncing around the toolbox.   

Cut4fun

Well that metal box is a idea. But why not just use a plastic gun case, if the bar length is not to long. Bet the plastic is a lot lighter and will have a handle on it.

Thank You Sponsors!