iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thanks Wood-Mizer

Started by pnyberg, November 16, 2010, 05:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

I just got an email from a potential customer who says he got my contact information from Wood-Mizer.  He says that when he's done felling trees, he'll have 1500-2000 bdft of logs to be milled averaging about 13' by 18".  For me, this would be an above average sized job.

I'd been thinking of calling Wood-Mizer and asking for names of sawyers in my area to see if my name came up, but now I don't have to.  The system is clearly working.

I just hope that the customer isn't in a hurry, because I'm still only part time and booked out about a month.

--Peter
No longer milling

Magicman

Be careful and don't stack your appointments so tightly that you don't allow quality time for you and your bride.  It's easy to do.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Hi pete . ya wm is good with that. they give my name out all the time. I think as long as the customers stay happy. they will . If wm gets alot of complaints of wome one. well ..  Im guessing I do not speak for wm  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

MartyParsons

The WM data base which we have access to works well. Just because you are a WM owner does not get you on the list. You need to let WM know. Some WM owners do not want to do custom sawing.
I can use a zip code and see who is available in that area. Sometimes it is way off because no one has registered in that area. I even call the WM owners and see if they are available or are interested in the job. It depends what the job is. Most owners do not cut the tree down, but I do know a few who do.
If you are not sure if you are on the cutting list send me an email and I will check. Yes you need to be a WM owner.  ;)

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

redbeard

Marty, dose buying wood miser blades count?
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bibbyman

Quote from: Magicman on November 16, 2010, 05:54:30 PM
Be careful and don't stack your appointments so tightly that you don't allow quality time for you and your bride.  It's easy to do.

Mary and I are not on the Wood-Mizer call list.  We didn't start out that way because we bought the mill for our own use and among the family and neighbors.  We had no expectation it'd turn into a business. Then we got so busy running it part time just by word of mouth, we didn't want any more business.  Thus we're still not on the call list.

Mary's been running the mill full time for about 10 years now.  And I joined her about 5 years ago.  We've developed a number of local accounts that can take up all our time – at least in good times.  Thus we've put custom sawing business in second place.   We kind of put it down as community service. 

It's a real problem getting over committed.  Or even committed to the point where any small problem gets you behind where it's difficult to catch up.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

Appointments made me decide to quit sawing in 2005, and I put my mill up for sale.  I was chasing my own tail   sawdust.  Customers would add additional logs, weather, mill service/repair, I needed to go hunting/fishing.  I was missing or would have to reschedule appointments.  The fun was gone.

Hurricane Katrina came.  I surely couldn't make appointments then.  "I'll call you when I get to you.  If you still have the logs and want them sawed, we'll do it."

The only appointment that I now make is the next one.  I'm already telling customers "maybe next month", or "how about after the first of next year".  If I decide to or can do it sooner, I just call them and we decide on a date.

This way, I'm running my business instead of my business running me.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!