iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple dieback

Started by sharp-shod, November 16, 2010, 05:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharp-shod

Hey,

What are you guys in New England and Canada seeing in the line of Hard Maple crown dieback ? I guess it is the Pear Thrip ? We have had it for a number of years here in Central NY. I worked in the Bristol Hills of NY this summer and fall and some areas seemed to be hit hard. Heard it was prevalent in your areas for quite some time. Has it decimated your Rock Maple population ?

Thanks

bill m

I haven't noticed any pear thrip damage in my sugar bush in quite a few years. We did have a little damage from tent caterpillars a few years ago but the trees look good now.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

furltech

I just finished a block with a lot of die back but i blamed it on the sugar maple borer all signs pointed to it .

SwampDonkey

Nothing here. We do get some borer, but not an epidemic. I usually only see that on suppressed trees after the bark falls off.

Brush cutting right now in hardwood and sugar maple is the number one crop tree for the forest company. This and yellow birch are on top of the list. Softwoods get cut unless they are bigger and healthy. Red oak is also on top of the list, but none where we are.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

grassfed

My sugar bush looks great in terms of vigor. I have noticed that over the last three years they have been looking better and better. The leaves look big and healthy and the trees that I have released respond very quickly with a lot of that pink tint in the valleys of the bark that comes when they put on wood fast. My best maple site is on a SW facing hillside that runs between 1400-1100 feet. The soils in this site are well drained and would be considered prime prime ag if not for rocks and steepness. I have owned this site for 11 years and have noticed a change for the better in terms of vigor lately. The site does best in the wet years.
Mike

SwampDonkey

Most of the maple forest that would make farmland has been cleared in these parts. I live in a potato belt. Fields all around the house were once all sugar maple dominated forest. Not real bad for rocks, but still they always had to be picked. And they keep growing. :D It's only about 200 m ASL here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

1270d

Im in the upper Penninsula of Mich, and recently was shown the signs of dieback.  Now seeing it everywhere in our area.  Is there any way to reverse it?  I have also heard that thinning a block showing some dieback will only accelerate the process in the other trees.   

Thank You Sponsors!