iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have you heard this about new Can. gun law

Started by Bill Johnson, January 04, 2001, 04:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Johnson

The new canadian gun requiring all gun owners to be registered by Dec. 31/00 is now in place.
As of that date canadians needed to have either a possession only licence or a possession and aquisition licence, without one of these types of licence you can not be in possession of a gun or by ammo for a gun.
The latest news paper articles I've read indicate that hunters coming into Canada will also have to register at the border crossing. There will more than likely be a "charge" for this service and the permits may only be good for a year, which means hunters returning year after year will have to renew their permit.
The tourist industry up here is up in arms. This coupled with the cancellation of the spring bear hunt in Ontario will definitely mean a loss of business.
My advice to anyone planning on coming up to Canada next year to hunt is to make sure you call the border well in advance of your trip to see what impact the new laws will have on you.
Right now its only been a couple of news articles spreading doom and gloom but as they say where there's smoke there's fire.
I suspect this should have gone on the hunting board, but I figure here more folks will see it
Bill

Ron Wenrich

What has the compliance rate been for this law?  I know of a lot of guys in the States that would simply ignore the law.  If enough people ignore the law, then there is no teeth in it.  They can't put everyone in jail!
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Ya know what these laws are doing? I was never a member of the NRA before last year. I am now, and will always be. I do not like to sound radical on this board, but...I really believe it will be civil war if they try to ever get our guns.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

The news group can.talk.guns is going through a long discussion on this now.  Appears the Canadians will have a bunch of scofflaws on their hands.  Could be no body left in Canada, except the criminals, when they get through arresting the "bad guys" that figure their guns are more important than their loss of freedom.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Forester Frank

I wonder if that guy from north Boston that shot seven people had his guns registered?
Forester Frank

Jeff

I was under the impression that Massachusetts had some of the strictest gun laws on the books.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

That guy had worked in a nuclear power plant. We had another one go berserk and waste a bunch of people up here a few years ago- funny thing, he had worked in the same plant. LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bill Johnson

As far as compliance with this new law, the indications that I've seen is the most owners are applying for one kind of permit or the other. This will at least allow them to carry a gun while hunting, and to buy ammo.
As for the registration of individual firearms, we have until 2003 and comply, this is the part which I'm not sure about as far as compliance goes.
The general consensus is that most law abiding citizens have no problem registering as gun owners, but have real heartburn when it comes to telling the gov't how many guns and what types of guns they own.
Some people have just given up, there have been so many restrictions placed on the sport that they're just turning rifles and shotguns into the local police departments for disposal.
There are probably lots of sites with better information than I have, the original post was just a heads up to hunters planning on going north next season to check before you go.  
Bill

J Beyer

The first step to confiscation is registration.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Haytrader

I am not sure how many I have or where they are.  >:(
Haytrader

Tom

I sold all of mine to a bunch of guys that came by here last week.  I think they were Chinese Nationalists  I wonder what they wanted with them?.

Bro. Noble

I don't own any to speak of.

but I've got a whole whack of ammo!!!

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

RobK

A whole whack of ammo! I knew I was in the right place!

Bumpersticker I've seen for sale:

Ammo, the currency for a new millenium!
-Rob

Corley5

Guns???  What guns???  I ain't got no stinking guns.  I just collect live ammo ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodman

I do'nt know where you guys live but here in Mass. only the good guys register there guns.   :)
Jim Cripanuk

Frank_Pender

Did some of you fellas leave some of your unattended amo in  a Douglas  Fir I sawed two days ago.    Someone place a jacketed round in a tree and my main saw blade found it without any trouble.  :-/  These trees were out in the midst of a 400 acre forest. :-[  It ruined 12 teeth. :'(  
Frank Pender

J Beyer

I just hope that the feds DO NOT come up with a law saying that a person needs to be licensed as an ammo manufacturer to buy reloading supplies.  Right now I would be screwed with over 1000 live trap shooting loads, made by myself.  Email me personally to talk about my recipe for trap loads.

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Bibbyman

Son Chris joined the Marines right out of high school and was based out of Camp Pindelton, CA.  As Chris is an avid hunter and liked to target shoot, he thought he'd get to do some of both on his days off.  

I was out there in San Diego when we went into a couple of gun shops looking for a copy California hunting regulations.  Our requests were met with puzzlement and we were told there is no hunting in southern California.  Even though you can drive 20 miles out of town and be in National Forest land or over the mountain range and be in miles and miles of uninhabited desert.

Same answer for target shooting.  One by one the populated areas had squeezed out the gun clubs and target ranges.  Any time someone heard a gun go off out in the country,  they would call the law in to investigate - even if the person shooting was doing it on his own property well away from others.  

Then why have a gunshop?  They were doing a thriving business in paramilitary style guns.  They didn't carry any hunting,  target or collector guns. I'm not sure what to think about that. ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!