iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Price of red cedar rough sawn

Started by Jerry, November 15, 2010, 10:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Was wondering what rough sawn red cedar was going for now. Have been sawing a good bit of it the last couple of weeks. I read a lot on the forum just don't post much,but enjoy reading quite a bit. I have a LT40 manual with a 28hp Kohler gas engine. Went to the 25 anaversy at Springfield Mo. and picked it up. I realy like it. I also have a Foley Belsaw sawmill I built an all metal frame for it with 6"x1/4" I beams don't use it much anymore since I got the woodmizer.
LT40G28 Manual Woodmizer

carykong

When I post eastern red cedar on Craiglist, I get the most phone calls. Small market demand for cedar in my area is superior to the common species like tulip poplar,oak,and pine.

bandmiller2

Jerry,red cedar is a "nitch" wood at least up here in yankeeville our market is outside furnature or high end closet lining.I don't know the exact price but its much more than oak as its so labor intensive.I'd try to develop a market with high end carpenters and wood workers.I've cut alot but my old partner built specialty patio stuff so we never sold it.Shame you don't use your Belsaw more,I enjoy and use boath band and circular.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cedarman

Locally it will be determined by those selling it in your area.  If you know anyone, call them and ask.   Nationally, from about $1.00 to $1.80 depending on quantity.  This is for wood that has very little wane, very little ingrown bark, and no cracks or rot.  Boards wider than 10" command a premium in most cases.  We sell 12" for $2.50.  Boards longer than 8' also command a premium.
Most of our wood is custom sawn so we set the price for each order based on the difficulty of meeting the specs.
Truckload sells for about $.75 to $.95 for #1 common and better.
Since cedar sells in a niche market, prices can vary considerably from one location to another.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

WDH

I sell it for $2.00/bd-ft, but I don't sell much. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

northwoods1

I don't sell much red cedar what I have is the northern white but my prices are about the same as what Cedarman mentioned. I just gave a fellow a quote yesterday for 4" & 6" wide 1/2" thick 50" long pieces for $1.50 bf. He needs it free of wane both faces but needs a steady supply of 500bf a month so I quoted slightly less than normal. I check out what the lumber yards and big stores get and some stuff I am way cheaper and other stuff I am higher. For instance we have a store here called cedar unlimited which has western red cedar and they get $55 for a 6" x 6" 8' long. But if you want 6 6" wide boards 1" thick 8' long that is $36. I don't know how they arrive at them figures but don't worry about it to much. Like others have said it is a niche market and if you custom saw it then people will come to you because they can't get it anywhere else. Yesterday I was looking at craigslist and found a guy a few hundred mile from me who is selling anything 4" - 12" wide 1" thick 8' -12' long for $1 a board foot. I emailed him and out of curiosity and asked how much 12" wide long stuff does he have and what grade is it, he replied it is all sound tight knots and one clear face, just let him know how much I need and he will custom saw it. Now if I sold 12" boards for $1 bf I would run out of cedar pretty fast that is for sure I ask $2.50 for 8'.  
I'd really like to know what cedar stumpage sells for around the country if anyone would want to share that info I would highly appreciate it. I bid on a job last week and it averaged around $40 a cord straight through but I bid it lump sum and I'm sure my volume estimates were conservative.

paul case

i have been buying erc logs standing for $.20 bd ft. i would give a little more cut and delivered to my mill but no one has brought me any yet. not too many real good ones here in northeast oklahoma.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Cedarman

Paul,  if you are willing to travel to Payne Co, (Stillwater area), we have quite a bit of 8" and larger logs, 8 to 12' long.  PM  okmulch, and he can fix you up.
In ky and in standing cedar is about 10 to 18 cents per board foot.  Delivered to the mill it is 85 to 90 per ton.  40 to 50 cents delivered on the cedar scale.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

backwoods sawyer

My most recent load of cedar logs was $30 ton delivered to the mill. I milled it up into post and sold the whole lot for $0.60 bft. The next load will run a bit more since the logger had to put gravel on the road now that the rains have started. Nevertheless, I have a steady supply for the winter. For a load of #1 saw logs, delivered to the mill, it is running $350 a thousand Scribner scale. That's about the high and the low of it for western red cedar in this area.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

weisyboy

i get $3000/m3 for Australian red cedar boards. 8)

thats about $7 a bf 8)
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Ernie

Quote from: weisyboy on November 19, 2010, 06:08:24 PM
i get $3000/m3 for Australian red cedar boards. 8)

thats about $7 a bf 8)

WOW that's great

Does this tree grow very quickly?  That's more than Tassie Blackwood, does it grow as fast?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

weisyboy

some grows fast but coulor is no good, its the 100 + yer old trees that the money is in, nice deep ritch red coulor, the old fellas round here used to call it red gold.

its not common and hard to get good old trees,

tassie blackwood is just wattel, in qld we fight a constant battle to keep it from taking over grazing land, just pushed and burned.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Thank You Sponsors!