iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A part time portable sawmill business goes full time

Started by pnyberg, November 12, 2010, 05:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnyberg

I announced the start of my part time sawmill business back on February 10th here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42055.0.html

My plan was to work about half the available weekend days, since I still had a full time job, and my own chores to do.  That would mean in general that I could handle about 4 customers a month.

My first customer came in early March.  By mid-summer, I had a waiting list that took me out a month. By the middle of September, I had work lined up through Thanksgiving.  Clearly things were on a positive trajectory.

My wife was impressed. 

As part of a totally unrelated process, she had decided to retire around September of 2011.  There was a discussion that started with the thought that I could quit my 'day job' and take the sawmill business full time at about that same time.  I suggested that the fall was not the best time to make this transition, and it might make more sense to do it at the start of 2011.  What's nine months of paychecks between friends?  She agreed.  :)

So, I've given notice at work that I'll be leaving on December 31st. 

Once again I want to say that none of this would have been possible without the Forestry Forum.  So thanks to Jeff and all the other who help to keep this place up and running, and to all of you who share their knowledge and wisdom in these pages.

Sometime before the end of the year I'll put together a post on what I've learned during my first year of running a portable sawmill.

--Peter
No longer milling

inspectorwoody

Congrats on the big move!  :) Hope all goes well.

You have a very nice, informative website also.

customsawyer

Congrats and wishing you all the best in the future.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

D Hagens

ladylake

Now your biggest expence will be heath insurance.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Banjo picker

I wish you all the best.  Has the web site directed a lot of work your way?  It does look nice.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Bibbyman

Way to go! 

I was going to say you're to young but I did the same thing at 55.  I waited until I was 55 so I could early retire from the company I worked for and keep my insurance plan.  Insurance is still a major expense.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

qbilder

Quote from: pnyberg on November 12, 2010, 05:53:03 PM
My wife was impressed.

That's the key note. If momma's happy, everybody's happy. Nothing like impressing the wife. Life is good. 
God bless our troops

pnyberg

Quote from: ladylake on November 12, 2010, 07:13:03 PM
Now your biggest expence will be heath insurance.   Steve

I do luck out there, as that's covered by my wife, even after she retires.
No longer milling

Knute

Jasperfield

Personal responsibility and liberty go a long way.

Congratulations.

isawlogs

Quote from: pnyberg on November 12, 2010, 05:53:03 PM
So, I've given notice at work that I'll be leaving on December 31st. 
Once again I want to say that none of this would have been possible without the Forestry Forum.  So thanks to Jeff and all the other who help to keep this place up and running, and to all of you who share their knowledge and wisdom in these pages.
--Peter

Sure just go ahead and blame all of us here  ;D

8) 8)
  Congratulations on a new venture. May it turn out to be prosperous and don't forget to take time out to sit and talk some with your customers, some are really really interesting and have a wealth of bagage to share ;)  :P 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

paul case

thats stepping out.  way out. now everyone you know will do everything they can to keep you from your work since you are now self employed and everybody knows that means you dont work so you can do errands for everyone else.
good luck . i am sure you will do well. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bibbyman

Now.. Start counting the times people ask, "How are you enjoying your retirement?". 

I'm sure some of my customers have the idea I'm just sawing to have something to do and, by extension, I don't need to make money doing it or I've got all the time in the world to stand and yack with them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Brucer

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Welcome to the world of full time sawing.
- You'll be working for less than minimum wage.
- You will drag yourself out into the most miserable weather to make a deadline.
- You will learn to be politely rude to people who think talking to you has nothing to do with lost income for you.
- You will find yourself getting annoyed at the boss.
- You will get depressed and wonder why you ever did this.

And then you'll be sawing on a mild spring day with a bright blue sky and not a cloud in sight, and a red-tailed hawk will come winging by just above the mill and you'll think, "Yes! This is why I did it."

Best of luck.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Chuck White

Congratulations Peter.

I'm very happy for you and I'm sure you'll do well!

You also have to keep up with the Forestry Forum too!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Papa1stuff

Congrats Peter ,all this talk makes me wish I was 20 years younger  ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

northwoods1

Quote from: Bibbyman on November 13, 2010, 01:22:51 AM
Now.. Start counting the times people ask, "How are you enjoying your retirement?". 

I'm sure some of my customers have the idea I'm just sawing to have something to do and, by extension, I don't need to make money doing it or I've got all the time in the world to stand and yack with them.

:D a guy really has to watch out for that! I put myself pretty far out from the beaten path and still manage to get a few to many visitors some days that feel like just gabbing. OK to do once in while to many interruptions can sure make it impossible to get much done.

thecfarm

Good luck to you.Sounds like things lined up for you and you did it. You will enjoy your new "job".
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

weisyboy

i have always felt if you don't love what ya doing then dont do it.

if sawing wood makes you happy then go for it, i know i couldn't do anything else.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

JPM

best of skill and luck to you. i hope the pita's will be very small .i had one find me,the first and the last time i'll saw for someone else  :D

WDH

I look forward to following the process as you go full time.  Your previous posts have been very interesting and informative.  You are not just starting a new chapter but rather an whole new book!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Good luck with "new" business venture.  They were also my best ventures.  Retiring and sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wannasaw

Congratulations and good luck/skill on your venture. I hope to do the same one day but I chose the wrong saw for that this time. I won't be running behind an LT28 for a living. Great website.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

fishpharmer

pnyberg, congratulations on the big leap into self employment 8) 8)

Your an inspiration for me.  I could see myself venturing into a similar business. Maybe sooner than later too.

I may have said this before but will mention again, you have a great website. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ahlkey

I have been self-employed for nearly 5 years now doing everything a private business does such as production, sales, marketing, insurance, handle employees, etc....and it still surprises me how often I get that comment "how does it feel to be retired"?   My response is always something like " Well maybe I will go back to work as I do need the rest". 

Peter, best of luck to you in your new FULL-TIME business.

Thank You Sponsors!