iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Winch - Farmi, Tajfun, Wallenstein, Other??

Started by wesdor, November 12, 2010, 04:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

The entry level Farmi is the 290, not the 351 (If they are still making the 290?). I believe the 290 has only one pully, but it's been a while since I've seen one -- my local dealer no longer stocks the 290.

The 290 had other shortcomings as well, including a drive line that put the PTO shaft at a pretty large angle -- it tends to wear out U-joints quicker than the other models. (Though it probably would hold up quite a while for personal use -- someone just hauling in a few cords of firewood per year.)

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

wesdor

Update and follow up questions

I have prices on the Farmi, Tajfun, and Wallenstein.  All are within a few hundred dollars.

One reliable source has told me that the early Wallenstein's were not at all good, were pulled from the market and were replaced with good quality.  Anybody able to confirm that information?

The Tajfun is from an east coast dealer that has been very slow in responding to my requests.  Although the equipment looks good to me, the dealer situation gives me some concern.

That leaves me with the Farmi 351 or the Wallenstein FX 90.

The Farmi is rated to pull 7720 pounds and weighs 430 pounds

The Wallenstein is rated to pull 9000 pounds and weights 795 pounds.

My first thought was that a lighter winch would be a better choice, but after thinking about it, I wonder if the heavier winch would provide more ballast.  Any thoughts about how winch weight effects the machine and safety?

Thanks again for your thoughts and guidance.

Reddog

Are any of the dealers local?

I would look at the lighter weight ones. I would compare the 351 to the FX65. The FX90 seems too large for your tractor.
With 7000# of pull will be hard to not pull your tractor all over. Plus if you carry a snatch block you have 14,000# of continues use winch.

bill m

The Wallenstein FX90 is to heavy for a 37 hp. tractor. A lighter winch will give you more lifting capacity. If the east coast dealer for the Tujfun is the one I am thinking of they are a very good company but you are a little out of the area they normally serve. If you do decide to go with the Tujfun they will treat you very fair.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Peter Drouin

I have a wallenstein 120 with my JD 70 hp works great. and has a removable ball hich. to pull my LT 40 super in to the woods with . the 120 will lock the cable too. lift and drive away. 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

wesdor

As usual the amount of experience here is great.

You answer my question - the FX90 is too heavy.

So that leaves me with a local dealer who has treated me well for several years.  No offense to the east coast dealer but local means a lot to me.  Besides the local price is lower.

I'm leaning heavily to the Farmi 351 but will take one more look at the lower end Wallenstein.

Thanks again for the advice

John Mc

The Farmi 351 is one of the better winches in its size range, IMO.

I was trying to decide between a 351 and a UniForest 35E (almost identical specs). I ended up with the 35E since it was cheaper (especially after you add the protective screen to the Farmi, which is standard on the Uniforest). I've been happy with the Uniforest, and it's working well for me but I'm not giving it very heavy use. If I had it to do over, I'd probably spend the extra for the Farmi.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Hermio

Quote from: Reddog on December 07, 2010, 04:06:05 PM
Are any of the dealers local?

I would look at the lighter weight ones. I would compare the 351 to the FX65. The FX90 seems too large for your tractor.
With 7000# of pull will be hard to not pull your tractor all over. Plus if you carry a snatch block you have 14,000# of continues use winch.

Using a snatch block does not automatically double the pull. It sometimes just changes the direction of pull. You have to run the pulling line back to the tractor or a tree to double the pull, letting the snatchblock pull what you are dragging.

NH-Murph

I have been very happy with my Igland (same as Norse with different stickers) 4501.  It seems to surprise me still at what it will pull.  I picked mine up new for $3250, and the 3501, which would probably be a better fit for the OP's JD can be found for less than $3k.  I couldn't find a better winch for the money, and believe me, I went back and fourth for months on what to buy.  As mentioned before, don't forget a snatch block or 2.

Thank You Sponsors!