iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Printer Ink cartridges

Started by D._Frederick, November 10, 2010, 09:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D._Frederick

I bought a Dell computer and printer a couple years ago and it costs me about $40 every time I need new ink cartridge. I tried to have them refilled at Costco, they charge $7 for black. The problem is Dell has added software that prevents from using re-fill cartridges with out re setting the printer telling it to only print in black. I need to fool with printer for every set of pages I want to print even if I use just filled cartridges.

It seem that every printer maker as added this feature to maximize there profits. If you are having this problem, how are you overcoming it?

Is there any printers being sold that does not have this problem?

Some printer go into self-check mode every time the computer is turned on just to use up ink!

PineNut

I don't know the validity of it but have heard that HP receives approximately 40% of their profit from ink sales. Don't forget that they are selling you 15 to 20 cents of ink for 30 to 40 dollars.

I have used refilled cartridges with Canon printers for a number of years. Of course Canon is clamping down on it but there are still ways. Some cartridges can be reset with an electronic setter (about $15). On other Canons, you can get aftermarket cartridges that are chipped differently. These can be refilled without problems. Takes a little research to find just the correct combinations.

pineywoods

Folks, it ain't quite that simple. On just about all the current printers, when you buy an ink cartridge, you also get a new print head. I bought a cannon that has a separate ink tank for each color, keep the same print head. Ink cartridges were cheap, $5 or $6 each. Looked like a real good deal till the print head went out, ouch !!! Tried the refill route, most of the refill kits use an alcohol based ink that plugs up the head if you don't use it a bunch. There's a reason the printer goes through a test cycle on powerup, it goes through a head cleaning proceedure. without that, you get dried ink on the head and smeared print. if you want hi resolution color printing, you gonna pay the price one way or another.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SwampDonkey

It only happened to me once, but I bought a brand new color HP cartridge and it was either a dud or no ink in it. Once you open one you can't get your money back. $45 for piece of plastic rubbage.  ::) Used to be able to get refilled cartridges at Walmart for my printer, that lasted maybe 6 months and they never brought them back in for my model. The cartridges in this printer also work in many other models. Also, those refilled cart's don't have as much ink put back in, only half. And the tri color cart's have less than half the ink of a black and white cart. Well you can get the 38 ml, versus the standard 19 ml for mine but they sure add on the $$ for that stuff. Black comes with 45 ml. The ink isn't very good from most printers to begin with because it will run it you get a little water on the page. It doesn't run on an advertising flyer. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

I have an HP series printer.  When I need ink, I go to Ebay and buy bunches of it.  A lot cheaper than going to Staples. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

terrifictimbersllc

I have heard that Kodak makes printers one marketing feature being using their ink which costs substantially less than HP's. Intend to look at one of those next time around.   But I go to Staples too for my HP ink.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ron Scott

Yes, an excessive cost. I keep letting HP know about it as they keep asking if we are satisfied with their products whenever we purchase a new cartridge. Some of their more recent printers seem to be a little better on their ink cartridge use, but still high priced.
~Ron

cpstrutt

We bought a Kodak printer about a year ago.  It seems to go through more cartridges than our old HP but the cartridges are about 1/3 the cost of the HPs.

Thank You Sponsors!