iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trouble with a Wadkin Bursgreen 20" thicknesser

Started by Oakcreek, November 10, 2010, 06:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakcreek

Hello Forumers,  Another rookie here I have been benefiting from the information on your forum for a while and finally have had enough trouble or have  become brave enough to submit a post!

Sorry folks this is a long story....I have a Wadkin 20" planer I think a BAO type? It works,  while I was figuring out how to power it, a Company that has proper 3 phase power in it's facility borrowed it ran 500 bf of lumber through it and liked it so much the tried to buy it from me. So I am thinking it could be my setup.

It is a 3 phase machine and I have only single phase at my place so I ordered a Rotary converter from Americian Rotary.  The Rotary converter is a 20 hp. and the motor in the planer is a ten hp. I have a 200 amp service and ran 100amp service to my shop and have the Converter on a dedicated 60 amp breaker.   

My problem is, I start the converter once up to speed, I turn on the planer,  the planer reaches full speed and seems to ready to operate and the starter switch (MTE unit) jumps out shuting off the motor.   After about a minute without touching any reset switches etc. I hit the power switch and it starts repeating the process.  ( One note that when the planer starts the lights in my house drop until it reaches full speed and then all is normal)
:(

I have very little info on the planer, after a number of searches I found a user document on the planer on Daltons website.

Is there anyone out there on the forum who may have a similar machine or have some experience with these symptoms. I 'd appreciate any info.

Den Socling

Perhaps it is an overload in the starter which is kicking the switch. Maybe the voltage is wrong. Converters have a bank of capacitors and you need to add or subtract capacitors until you have the right voltage when the converter is under load. I run a converter here and all kinds of weird things were happening before I got the capacitance right.

I would call the converter manufacturer and describe the problem.

Note: Capacitors hold a charge. Don't shut the converter off and assume that it is safe to grab a terminal.

BTW Welcome into the forum!

Oakcreek

Thanks Den,

I was worried for a while that I did something wrong with the posting people were reading but couldn't respond ( rookie jitters). I was watching the readers meter like it was the score of a hockey game I bet on, I'll sleep tonight!

The advice makes sense 3 phase is a whole new world to me.  I'll will call the manaufacturer tomorrow.  It is so nice to have access to so many experienced people!

oakiemac

Get an amp meter and measure the current draw that you are getting when you start up the planer. Then look and see what the FLA (full load amp) draw is on the motor. It should be stamped on a metal name plate on the motor. If the current that you measured is over what the motor is rated for then the overloads on the motor started should trip the power. If this is what is happening then you have something wrong with the motor.

Let us know what you find.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

low_48

Talk to the phase converter company. They might want you to switch one of the phases. On any output from a phase converter, you get two clean lines from your 220, and one line from the slave motor. They work to balance all three phases, but maybe the starter wants a clean line. Usually, if you switch any two wires, your motor will run the other direction, but ask them if it makes a difference for motor starting. I know just about enough to be "dangerous" with giving advice, but I do run my Yates American on a home made phase converter. My engineer buddy built it, not me!

Oakcreek

Thanks for the info Guys, it's running!

I borrowed some meters from a neighbour and the AMPS are pretty consistent 10 -10-9, the motor was rated to 12FLA.  Americian Rotary indicated that the Voltage and amperage would not be the problem.  I changed the line to the starter motor and it would start the machine.  Further investigation found a small thermal reset switch that connected to the starter, I bypassed it to isolate it and the planer ran fine.  I did a few tests underload as was recommended by American Rotary and everything checked out, and my shops full of shavings!
Not to worry, I am planning on replacing this reset switch once I find a similar ( newer vintage ). 
Now I have some time to work on the shavings collection system!

Thanks Agian for your input!
;D

Thank You Sponsors!