iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pics of a log

Started by northwoods1, November 10, 2010, 06:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

I was cutting on a hardwood job and after I cut this tree off I noticed that the butt of it looked different than most other maple trees. Anyone ever seen log end grain that looks like this? It really caught my eye and that is why I stopped what I was doing and took a closer look. The log is about 16" across. 

pasbuild

Looks like a nice one, same thing on the other end?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

terrifictimbersllc

With a sawmill you get to find out what's inside.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

northwoods1

Quote from: pasbuild on November 10, 2010, 06:45:40 AM
Looks like a nice one, same thing on the other end?

Yes same thing other end, 16' of the tree looked this way.

northwoods1

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 10, 2010, 06:46:05 AM
With a sawmill you get to find out what's inside.

Ha ha, believe me when I saw this log that was about the only thing I could think off until it was actually on the mill and the boards were coming off :D

ahlkey

I have cut a few hard maples over the years that were identical to that pattern.  At first I thought I had something like birdseye or a variation of it but nope it was just a nice pattern. Not sure what causes it but it sure makes for nice table top or anywhere that a unique wood pattern is important.

LOGDOG

My first reaction was "birdseye!". Are you going to mill it or sell it to a buyer?

Meadows Miller

Gday

NW looks like you have Radial Fleck in that log we get it down here in some species of timber like sheoak and the like  ;) It looks real Nice in sawn boards and furniture Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

pasbuild

I have eight bolts 8' to 12' to saw up this week, I only wish they had as much potential as yours.  Have you sliced a cookie to see what you have?
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

tyb525

Last year I cut a sugar maple, 24" on the butt, and produced 4 10' logs, the smallest log was 18" small end. The end grain looked like that.

It had a quilted figure, and some parts had what I would call not-quite-birdseye. It's a nice, light figure. Mine had very distinct bark "swellings" all over it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mad murdock

looks like maybe it could be that nice curly maple pattern you see in old muzzle loader stocks, or on nice guitar or other stringed instrument necks?  The bird's eye I was used to seeing would look like a 5 point star type pattern on the end grain of the log.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

chevytaHOE5674

Looks sort of like Curl to me. Can you feel any curl in the wood if you bump the bark off?

west penn

Looks like a nice log. If it is curly you will be able to see the curl on the hinge where it broke off. the wood will be wavy. it's reall not hard to spot if the curl is there.

isawlogs

Birdseye  !!!!  Wish you where closer. That log is a keeper if you can .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

isawlogs

Well did you saw it up yet ???   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

qbilder

That's birdseye. It's very good birdseye, too. Wanna sell the log as is before you mill it? Or interested in selling the lumber? I use 6/4 birdseye. 
God bless our troops

LOGDOG

NW ... I know the Maple log is the focus here but I just looked again and see that it appears to be sitting on some White cedar logs? Are they nice and solid?

northwoods1

Quote from: isawlogs on November 10, 2010, 07:07:11 PM
Well did you saw it up yet ???   ;D

Yes I did  :) after I had seen that end grain it made me go up and knock a chunk of bark off the log with the poll of my axe and the next pic shows what it looked like. It looked like birdseye to me but the amount of it was ridiculous. It took me a while to decide how to go about about sawing it and I decided to cut the logs short all 48". This was because I could not think of a single end use that would require longer than 4' and it eliminated all the crook in the log allowing me to get the most out of it. I got a variety of pieces from 4/4 to 10/4 and I was trying to bookmatch the best of it. The figure showed best slab sawn. I cut one 1/4 sawn gunstock out of it that I will have to splice with another piece to get a full length stock, doesn't look like much figure now but it should be an interesting pattern when it is reduced to a stock shape. I even went back and dug the stump out, got half a dozen short 8 & 10/4 pieces that were nicely figured. I took a few of those to a friends recently and he ran them through his large sander, without any stain or finish the grain really stands out. Very hard too I can't even come close to denting it with a fingernail, when I run a carving chisel over it the finish is like glass. I do have a lot of cedar that is sound, some that will cut out very wide & clear. The last pic is of one of the larger pieces I have to saw it was 38" on the stump and 156 yrs. old. I just went and looked at a small patch of it yesterday, about 3-4 acres and a farmer wanted to cut it and expand one of his fields. I was suprised to find some of it was very nice, and there was a fair amount of it, I am going to make an effort to buy it to cut this winter. :)

I thought I would post the pics of the log so that if any of you see this kind of end grain take a closer look! :o I look for figured wood all the time with a passion and this tree almost slipped by me.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

isawlogs

I suggest that someone volunteer to take all this off your hands before your eyes get permanent damage from staring at these peices of wood, I am willing to sacrifice myself to do this for your health and well being.

Marcel,  good inrentions go a long way  ;D :)

Marcel

isawlogs

Nice wood , all kidding aside , how did it saw ?  I cut some a while back when I first got my mill and found it almost a difficult task to get any speed at sawing it , mind you we did not have the blades available today  ;)

Marcel

Coon

My wifey wants that wood.  :D  She doesn't know what she would have built with it but she says she wants it.   ;D  I told her that she would have to battle it out with the whole forestry forum army before she'd even be able to put her hands on it.  :D It is very awesome looking wood. Be sure to keep us informed on the projects you use it on.   ;D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

tyb525

WOW! That is incredible stuff. It would bring a fortune if you were to sell it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

And I see some bowls in that stump.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

metalspinner

:o :o

Yeah!  That's awesome. 8) 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!