iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardest wood to make lumber from

Started by morbid fury, November 09, 2010, 05:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morbid fury

OK I now have a large pile of sawdust. I am so happy.
Anyway back to the question. Over the last few weeks I have sawn a few species up here in Maine.
Todat was quartersawn red oak....no knots all clear...hence I am so happy.
I have saw Hemlock, Birch, Maple, Oak, Ash, and the worst to cut of all of them is the Poplar.....it is like cutting taffy. It grabs the blade and makes the mill work harder than any of the wood listed.
What do you guys find is the hardest wood to mill?
If at first you don`t succed, skydiving is not for you.
Thomas 2411
Husky 266xp
Honda 850 sportsman
Thomas log Arch
Happiness is a fresh pile of sawdust

tyb525

Black or Honey Locust, White Oak, Osage Orange.

Oh, what kind of blade are you using? Poplar should cut the easiest.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

morbid fury

Agreed...thats why the mill and the metal detector are best of friends
Thomas 2411
Husky 266xp
Honda 850 sportsman
Thomas log Arch

Meadows Miller

Gday

RED,GREY AND YELLOW BOX Are about the hardest we get down here and I like sawing them   ;)  ;D  there are some other species that are hard going but are not realy cut in any volume  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

TessiersFarm

I just re-sawed (chainsaw and alaskan mill) some pressure treated southern yellow pine yesterday, and man oh man did that stuff cut hard.  I had to stop and touch up the chain every 50 feet or so, I don't know if its the chemicals they treat it with or the wood but if I do it again I'm charging extra.  The other one I don't like is cherry, seams like thats hard on blades.
Stihl E14, 180, 026, 036, 361, 045
Husky 266, 372, 394
Dolmar 111

tyb525

Walnut also seems tough, at least the tough I get.

Tessier, some chemical treatments do dull blades.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Banjo picker

What we call Poplar down South is about the easiest there is...Sweetgum is easy to saw , but twists  pretty bad when drying...If you are talking just sawing, I would pick ash...for what I have sawn...You had better have your ducks in a row...set just right on both sides or it will make the blade dive...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ron Wenrich

Locust and hickory can give you fits.  If you want some real fun, wait until the logs are half frozen.  Species won't matter. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

cutterboy

I agree with Tim. Ash is hard to cut. I think the reason  is that ash is a dry wood. The moisture content of green ash is very low compared with the other species in my area. I think we all know that sawing dried wood is more difficult than green wood. So ash is like sawing wood that is half dried. Hickory can give you fits too, especially hickory with large knots.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

laffs

ash is my lesat favorite also. makes nice lookin boards . you could be sawiing fine one minute and take a 4" dive the next
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kansas

Cottonwood is one of the hardest things we have to cut. The fibers tear; they don't cut cleanly. It depends not only on the log, but on a particular face of that log. We have to run very heavy set on the blades. Once in awhile, we have to give up on a very good looking log. We have the same problem going through the edger with it.

Magicman

Hickory is my all time un-favorite.  Seasoned White Oak next.

Maybe I need to get some of those WM 7° blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

morbid fury

have a pile of white ash...cut down and on the mill in less that 2 hours....no issues at all
Thomas 2411
Husky 266xp
Honda 850 sportsman
Thomas log Arch

tyb525

I've cut several white ash logs and didn't have any problems either.

There was one dead, dry American elm that was the worst sawing log EVER! Not only did the boards come off as bananas, but the blade dived or did something weird almost every other cut. I ended getting two halfway decent boards out of one log. Mind you, these were mostly knot-free too.

backwoods sawyer

I find that all of the local hardwoods mill up very nice as long as they are green, however the butt log of an old Doug-fir can be rather unpredictable, one may mill up just fine and the next one you cannot get a saw thru it straight. Old spruce logs can give you fits as well when the fibers wrap around the gullet of even a fresh saw out of the box. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Chuck White

Probably my "hardest to saw" logs would be small to medium Spruce.

With all of their knots, the blade really wanders sometimes.

When the logs are dry, they're worse.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

ladylake

White ash, saws ok but not very fast. Unless I count 15 big 15 year old white oak, later I found out they were 30 years old. Hard as rock, no bark with cracks about 3" deep to collect dust. I was changing blades every 45 minutes on that job.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

Live Oak. Hardest stuff I ever put a blade in.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Papa1stuff

Live Oak is hard but very pretty lumber!! ;D
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Bert

I'm on a circle mill, but hard maple is my least favorite. Hard, heavy, and lumpy. Cherry is best in my opinion. Poplar saws fast too but the stringy dust sometimes clogs the blower.
Saw you tomorrow!

brdmkr

Quote from: LeeB on November 10, 2010, 06:47:49 AM
Live Oak. Hardest stuff I ever put a blade in.

I've cut live oak when it was green and thought it cut pretty easily.  Once it is dry, it is an intirely different story.  Pecan is the toughest that I have had to deal with.  I sometimes wonder if some woods are easier to saw with a circle blade and others are harder with a band.  For instance, I do not consider SYP easy to saw on my Lucas (It seems to want to bind and gum up).   I prefer sawing about any green hardwood (other than pecan/hickory). 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

crtreedude

Probably the worst stuff we have cut was corteza (think ipe) that came out of an old bridge. Pure heart wood, so hard that it made sparks (no metal). We cut it with a bi-metal blade on a 20 HP Baker's.

What made it particularly painful is that we had to split some of the logs with a chainsaw, they were too wide for the Baker.  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!