iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

b&c oil-summer-winter-does it matter?

Started by cutterboy, November 07, 2010, 09:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Hi all. I've been sawing for 35 years and in the old days I just bought the cheapest bar and chain oil I could find and used it all year round. Several years ago I started using winter weight oil in winter and summer weight the rest of the year.
   Do you guys think it really makes a difference what weight you use? And if so, when should you change from summer to winter weight? I'm a part timer and I'd like to hear what you pros have to say.

Thanks, Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Rocky_J

I would think you would use the winter weight oil when it was too cold to pour the summer weight oil out of the bottle.

Once it's in the saw it doesn't make a lot of difference since the saw engine warms the oil tank. Unless you're cutting in -30 degrees or something ridiculous like that, but then I'm a Florida boy so I don't know squat about cold weather.  8)

I also use the cheapest bar oil I can find (except that Super Tech from Wal Mart, that stuff is nasssssssty).

DonT

I usually switch to winter weight when temperatures are around freezing.Its far easier to pour at -30.

HolmenTree

Here in Canada our Stihl dealers sell their clear Stihl bar oil in 3 different vicosities: light [winter], medium [spring,fall] and heavy [summer]. You can't get any better variety then that.
But then I don't bother spending $15 on those gallons anymore. I only use canola oil for bar oil now, $5 a gallon. Canola can be used right to -30F as long as you don't leave the jug or saw sit outside overnite.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

bill m

Here in Mass we don't see a lot of -30 deg. weather. I mix my winter and summer oil at about 50/50 when the temps start getting about 0 or lower overnight and less than 25 during the day.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

northwoods1

I'll buy winter most of the time and then just mix it with diesel to thin it. Diesel is $2.95 or so here bar and chain is quite a bit more. I used to do the same thing when I bought it in 55 gallon drums for the bar saw on my feller buncher saw head.

cutterboy

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 08, 2010, 07:07:33 AM
Canola can be used right to -30F as long as you don't leave the jug or saw sit outside overnite.

Willard.

-30??!!! :o  Who's going to be outside cutting with a chainsaw at -30???  I've only seen -30 here twice in my life. I have a hard time keeping my hands warm at 15 above. I don't often cut in temps under 15. On those days I sit by the wood stove with a hot pot of coffee. ;D

DonT

We get a number of cold days,add windchill and it is even colder.You get used to it after awhile,dressing in layers works well,and nothing beats good old wool as far I am concerned.Problem with canola in the real cold is it smells like fries cooking throughout the woodlot.Ever tried to work when your hungry all the time.

SwampDonkey

I've cut wood in mighty cold weather and never worried about getting cold. Your just not working hard enough. :D

I'm just glad I'm not a loader operator with no heated cab. I talked to a couple of loggers one time that cleared a hardwood lot one winter. On the north side was 100 acres of open field and the wind blew up there every day. They said that was the coldest spot on earth. I had a good laugh. But, that would be darn cold sitting on an open loader all day.

Here on the farm we always went to work in the woods in the coldest and hottest months. My father wore a ball cap riding an old John Deer tractor for 3 miles in a north wind, and a couple layers of sweaters and never said nothing about being cold in the winter. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fuzzybear

you guys talk about -30 like it's a bad thing. I do it all winter. You NEVER break a sweat.
coldest I've personaly cut in was -53.  You use 2 saws and keep a fire to warm up one saw while the other is freezing up/working.
I've used canola oil for years but not past -10. Then I use summer oil that I get on sale at the end of summer and mix it 50/50 with diesel. It will flow even at -50.   The trick is to keep a fire going and keep the saws and oil close to the fire.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Al_Smith

I've cut below zero degrees but certainly not minus 30 ,good grief .I too have only seen that cold several times in my life time ,don't care to again for that matter .

At any rate back then when I was young,dumb and full of whatever I would use auto tranny fluid or thin the bar oil with kerosine .

If you can keep the oil inside where it's warm it does okay .As for the saw,they start no matter how cold it gets .They aren't like your stubborn automobile that lays down on you in cold weather .

chevytaHOE5674

Use summer weight bar oil year around up here. When we get to the point that it is gelling up and won't flow you just cut it with diesel fuel.

Working at -30*F isn't that bad. You don't sweat and if your working hard enough you don't even need that many layers on to keep warm.

bandmiller2

I like to use winter weight all year,a little extra oil in warm weather dosen't hurt,but summer oil in the cold takes time to flow meanwile wearing your bar and chain.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

clww

Not that it gets really cold around here in the winter when I'm cutting (maybe 10 degrees F.), but it does get hot in the summer (95 degrees plus). I have used the same B&C oil for 30 years.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

cutterboy

My god! You Canadians are a tough lot. And you guys on the Keweenaw as well.

Fuzzybear, I can't even imagine being outside at 53 below zero. You must be really careful when you take a pee. :D  I mean, frost bite could set in fast at that temp. :D :D :D
  But seriously, I think it would be dangerous to be out in those temps. But I guess if you live up there in the cold you learn to deal with it.

I started this thread because I was wondering when and if I should switch to winter weight bar and chain oil. After reading all your replies I'm thinking it doesn't really mater what I use if I'm cutting in temps above 15.

Thanks everybody for your replies.   Ralph

Ianab

:D :D :D

We just got back from the Cook Islands. One evening it got down to about 21C (70F). All the locals were busting out the woollen hats and long pants as it was so cold!!!

Even here, when it gets down below freezing we we try and find inside jobs  ;D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Well, I can't understand it. New Zealand produces lots of wool. But you fella's would rather freeze than wear it. Or worst, stay home. ::) :D

And here, I've yet to make a little journey down to the wool mill here and get some wool blankets. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Well around here you need to have lots of whiskers to keep you warm in the coldest of the winter.  :D  The wife hates it when I keep the whiskers growin'  :D  I just keep tellin' her that spring is only a few short months away.  ;) 

The cold is not too bad to work in if you dress in layers.  The worst thing is if it is windy.  In those cases you simply have to use clothing that blocks the wind as your outside layer.  I use wool as my first layer because it wicks the sweat away from the body and is what makes you cold.

I done ordered me some new woolies today.  Hope they will fit.  ;D  Maybe I will have to even model them for the forumites when they get here.  They come in a nice green color.  :D 

cutterboy,  in these parts we have to use a tree when we pee.  It's no fun pithing into the wind.  Frostbite on willie ain't no fun believe me.  ;)  Out on the prairies you just gotta doo what ya gotta do. 

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Coon on November 11, 2010, 01:15:58 AM

I done ordered me some new woolies today.  Hope they will fit.  ;D  Maybe I will have to even model them for the forumites when they get here.  They come in a nice green color.  :D

What! No Stanfield's in SK?  :-X In Prince Rupert you could walk into Zellers and they had several shelves full. And that place isn't even what you would call cold, but wet wet wet. ;D  You can't wear Stanfield's out. :)

HolmenTree

I still find the heavy gray Stanfields one piece wool combinations up at Flin Flon, Manitoba. The miners wear them underground and it doesn't even get cold down there. Alot of Maritimers in Flin Flon though so that may explain the preference for Stanfields made in the east coast. Also the maritime based Helly Hansen clothing line is getting popular too.
In warmer winter weather I wear the white wool Stanfields which are a little thinner material. Then in the spring and fall I wear the 2 piece woolies from Stanfields for easier layering.
Willard.

SwampDonkey

You know, not that many years ago, the white Standfield one piece suit of wool was a lot heavier knit than it is now. But, that gray stuff is heavier and wears for years. ;D

HolmenTree

Those Stanfields most be darn good underwear. I have a 1994 Madsen's cataloque from Centralia, Washington [the authority in pro loggers equipment] and they sell Stanfield underwear.

Willard.

Al_Smith

On this side track concerning wool undergarments one should keep in mind these are made from what's called "fine wooled sheep" ,not the scratching wool they use for carpets .Merino or Rambulete [can't spell ] are the prefered choices .The synthetics are nice but nothing so far has the abilty to both provide warmth ,absorb moisture or retain heat while damp than the coat mother nature gave to the lowly old sheep .

thecfarm

I use whatever I get my hands on for oil.I might be using light weight in the summer and heavy in the winter. Whatever I can buy when it's on sale.I probably have 20-30 gallons of it in the tractor shed.I have no idea the weight if any of it. All I know is it seems to do the job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Quote from: thecfarm on November 12, 2010, 09:00:13 AM
I use whatever I get my hands on for oil.I might be using light weight in the summer and heavy in the winter. Whatever I can buy when it's on sale.I probably have 20-30 gallons of it in the tractor shed.I have no idea the weight if any of it. All I know is it seems to do the job.

I like your reasoning...keep it simple...buy it cheap...use whatever you got. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!