iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Down the loggin' trail with the ole' '91 LT30

Started by Slingshot, November 07, 2010, 12:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingshot

I posted in another thread about finding this 1991 LT30G18 not far from home with
only 180 hours on it. The original owner kept it parked in an open sided shed with
the head covered but let the bed weather a little. The mill runs and saws great.

Here is a cedar log I worked on with it:  ( I had just put new drive belts on it so belt covers are off.)

And a short video of sawing the cant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4NR587nDws

BCtimber

ladylake

That mill looks like new, send me some of those logs.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Don K

Nice mill and fine cedar. I like cedar but it is getting rare around the house. Get about 30 or 40 miles north of me in the black belt region and it grows like a weed.

I might mention and you may usually do it but didn't in the video, kill the blade drive at the end of a cut before traveling back. It extends blade life and if you bump the cant or log on back travel the resulting scratching and growling of a blade coming off the rollers is much quieter. I am not speaking from experience. ::) :D :D

Enjoy sawing with your new mill.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

All that mill needed was a home and someone to love it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Nice looking mill.  Looks almost new, in fact it is new if you discounted the sittin' around time.

Beautiful cedar.  Wish we had some around here.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Slingshot

I usually do idle down at the end of a cut, but left it spinning more on this cedar, (If you
noticed, I reached up to raise the clutch lever).
   And around here in this part of Kentucky, cedar IS a weed. Let a field sit for a while and soon
it will be covered with little cedars :)

Chuck White

I guess we should get some seedlings and plant them in this area.  smiley_sidelightbulb
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

And then it would become an invasive species and someone would be spending your tax dollars to rid them.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

There's some low-land back behind my house that I've been thinking of trying to acquire.  An excellent place for cedar.

There are farm fields on two sides, my yard on one side and a brook on the fourth side, so I don't see the cedar spreading unless seeds are transported by the birds.

cutterboy

Charles, nice mill and nice cedar log. I've never sawed cedar but would love to.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Slingshot

Used the WM shingle-lapsider jig today that I got with this mill
and made some cedar lapsiding.  Still need to do some tweaking
on the adjustments and make a scale for dropping the saw the right
amount but it works OK........

Flip the lever on the right up for one cut and down for the next cut:

And let 'er saw:

LOGDOG

Looking good there Charles. The mill and the cedar both look great. A client of mine just hauled 4 heaping loads of that cedar into my place for me to mill. Believe it or not, they were getting ready to burn it when he intercepted it. Some of these logs are 20" + in diameter. That would have been a crying shame. So he got it free. Looking at your pics makes me want to get out and mill that stuff on the double. Looks like you're enjoying your new mill. Congratulations!

Magicman

That siding jig looks like a cat's meow.   ;)   And, you look like you are having fun.   :)

LOGDOG

You know, I remember my second exposure to a WoodMizer, I was about 12 I'm going to say. It was at an auction up in Northern MN and there was an LT30 being auctioned and he had a lap siding jig that went with it. The owner put a nice fat cedar log on there for us and canted it up and then put the lap siding jig on and started cutting that lapsiding. I caught the fever bigtime when I saw that. My imagination was running wild with all of the possible things I could do if I had a mill. It wasn't in the cards right then at that age, but 5 years later I had my first Woodmizer. Brings back good memories to see this.

Magicman

Slingshot

Don't know about that.  :) The guy I bought it from said when He bought the jig he slid
it under an out-building and never used it. I helped him pull it out. Still looked new except
the pipe clamp screws were a little rusty, but still turned. Works slick as a whistle  8).
This cedar IS fun to saw.

Thank You Sponsors!