iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ Boardwalk band sharpener

Started by Handy Andy, November 06, 2010, 08:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Handy Andy

Was looking at the EZ website, they have a sharpener for 375$.  Does anyone have one of these?  How about some discussion.  Price looks really right, be nice to be able to just sharpen a band and run it again.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Jeff

There has been discussion several times, recently in fact.  Search  boardwalk sharpener
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

yep i have one. i bought it when i bought my mill from him. mine now has the cbn wheel on it which i would recomend. its high but to get a good grinder wheel from oregon will cost 1/3 as much and they wear down. the cbn wheel stays the same andi am certian will last much longer. it will take some practice to get good at it but it does work and you can get 6 to 8 sharpenings out of a blade. i have picked up a single tooth setter that helps too.after a couple of sharpenings the bands do loose their set and wont cut as good.
i forget,jim what kind of mill do you have?
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sdunston

I use one like that made by another company. You have to remember that it is just for a quick touch-up of the face it will not do a profile. Ialso have a setter. This is a good way the pre-sample if you want to step up and go with a CBN set-up.I'am almost ready to take the plunge :D
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Handy Andy

Paul, I have a Cook MP32.  Was thinkin I visited about one of these with somebody.

Handy Andy

Took Jeff's advice and searched the boardwalk sharpener.  Found Larry's video, and now I'm really interested in his system. See Grizzly still has that slow speed grinder for 89$, with the water tray.  Would that grinder work to sharpen? I also have another grinder that might work, has room on the stand to put a support, looks like the top of the support should be level with the center of the stone, so it would grind the band square. Looks like it takes some practice, but possible. Sure would like to figure out how to shape the stone and just how to hold the band to the stone.

tyb525

Handy, I have a sharpener similar to Paul's, and it is not a freehand sharpener. It has depth stops, that way each tooth is sharpened the same amount, and square. I would never recommend trying to freehand sharpen a blade. That EZ Boardwalk sharpener is about as cheap and simple as you want to get, seeing how it doesn't grind the whole profile.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

paul case

after watching the video of the wm cbn sharpener i see no reason someone couldnt easily make a manual sharpener that would do the same thing very easily.
there that ought to get pineywoods to thinking. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

pineywoods

Quote from: paul case on November 08, 2010, 09:43:33 AM
after watching the video of the wm cbn sharpener i see no reason someone couldnt easily make a manual sharpener that would do the same thing very easily.
there that ought to get pineywoods to thinking. pc

Pineywoods has already been thinking  ;D Mostly about how to convert my old wore out drag sharpener to cbn. A different cam would be required but that's easy enough. The biggest problem would be mounting a much larger motor. No way would the wimpy stock motor handle a 1 inch wide grinder wheel. Bibby's "magnet in a baggie" would take care of filtering the filings out of the oil. The existing pump and lube system would probably handle a light oil ok. I have been using a small amount of water soluable
oil mixed in the lube water for years. Poolman says he uses a diamond grinding wheel off a wet tile saw, I will definitely be looking into trying that..Them cbn wheels are kinda rich for my pocketbook..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!