iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple

Started by DextorDee, November 19, 2003, 10:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DextorDee

Cut my first Maple ,don't know what kind jus know its Maple.
Didn't have to saw it down it was a blow over from a few months back. Started at the top got a couple of 10-12" dia.
pieces 7ft long or so. Haul em back to the mill ,loaded one on the mill with the tractor ,ok I'll jus pick this end up and slide it on to the back stops.. BAD BAD idea :o bout the time I lift up it rolls the wrong way  :o that puts my finger between the frame of the mill and the LOG. :'( :-[  Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. I hope not. :-X :-X
Up all nite Sat . and 12 stitches later and learning how to type without using my index fanger later. ???
Anyway I am now a member of the that was STUPID club >:(
  Now if I can get these pics posted I had a question??maybe two..
  Anybody know what kind of Maple we have in N. GA. also what causes the slivers on the edge of the board?

it worked hip hip  8)

hmm don't guess ya can Id by the pics , ::)
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

D._Frederick

Dee,
twelve stitch, that smarts!  Hope that you didn't damage the joint so that you will have a stiff finger.

dail_h

Nawf GA mose likely red maple. It strings likely on account a cause
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

sawwood

That Maple sure looks like Ambrose. Its a fungus that
 feeds off the sugar in Maple. What plans do you have
 for it. Sure would make nice furtinure. Larry Copas had
 a maple tree beside his barn and it was hollow in the
 middle so he cut it down. Here are some of the photos
 that show what it looked like.

Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

rebocardo

I believe that maple is called sweet gum!

If it was a 5 pointed leaf,

but, has little points along the edges, it is sweetgum. Reason I say this is because your wood looks like a sweet gum tree I just cut up.

I had cut up one earlier, thought I had a maple, but, then cut up another "maple" though this time it had the seed burrs. So ... I knew it was not maple.

DextorDee

yessiree D, it smarted somthing fierce :o still does.
Dail_h, could be Red Maple ,guessing yall have the same trees up thar in NC.
Strings likely on account o cause  ::)I hate when that on account a cause thang happens >:(
I heard dat before I been all the way up thar to Borfort,Morehead City,Hawkers Island and and I forgot where else :-[ are you close to them places ?purty country
sawwood, not sure what I'm gonna do with it,I'm open for ideas
Beings it was a blow down and I was getting bored sawing Pine I decided to give it a try.
Seems to saw pretty easy coarse I ain't sawed enuff to tell much about it..
Only sawed Pine and Pecan
Be nice if I could sell it to pay the doctor bill ,have no idea what thats gonna be  ??? ???

rebocardo, Must admit beings ya mentioned it, the wood does look alot like Sweetgum .
purty sure its maple

Anyway I'll be sawing a little slower for a while :)
Ken
KI4BMW
North East Georgia

Tom

The strings on the side of the board have been attributed to a dulling blade by many. (I favor this explanation)  I've found that it happens regardless of the sharpness of the blade.  It seems to happen in softer woods more frequently.   The wood is not severed as the tooth exits the cant and the outside fraction of an inch breaks loose from the cant rather than be turned into sawdust. The wood just succumbs to the pressure.   I get it all of the time.  Once upon a time I was concerned about it and came just short of losing sleep.  Now I accept it and go on about my business.  

Its cause may be increased by a dulling blade or feed speed or blade speed or type of wood, but, it's nothing that I woujld spend too much time on to try to remedy.  I've also noticed that it happens more frequently with a heavy set. :)

Stephen_Wiley

Dextor D.,

The leaf you have shown is A. rubrum (Red Maple) ....it is possible it is a hybrid crossed with A. saccharum (Silver Maple) as the bark tends to appear more like the Silver.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

smwwoody

Well if you are planning on selling it as grade lumber it is called Soft Maple.  but it has stained from laying
in log form too long.  as grade lumber the stain makes it very low value.  but find the right market for it and the stain adds value.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Thank You Sponsors!