iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you do with your slabs?

Started by cutterboy, November 04, 2010, 05:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

I wonder if there is some way to make bark-on slab siding, but treat it somehow so the bark stays on and bugs don't eat it? Well, probably there is no practical way.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Some of this will be used for deer stand siding.  The rest for a bonfire.

Cedar, cypress, and some cherry slabs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Around here, Handicrafters would run you down for that load Magic.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

Actually you are right.  It's a matter of getting hooked up with the Handcrafters.  The first load actually went to a local Florist. 

This one held scraps and thicker stuff to be used as siding.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

I had a fellow use some for raised garden beds and he claims that he never had any slugs (snails) get into his plants this year, He claims the bark and the rough surface detours them. We have alot of slugs in this area due to wet climate and come to think of it you dont see slugs in fir trees. So before you spend a fortune on slug bait you might want to look for a local sawmill and get some slabs there cheap!   
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

r.man

My thinking is that most sawyers slab as light as possible to minimize waste but if a heavier slab is a saleable product then a decision would have to be made. Is the heavy slab worth more than the low grade, fairly undesirable board that is lost in it plus the thin slab and if it is a problem getting rid of slabs should that be considered in the equation as well. I suppose that each situation and possibly species will produce its own unique answer but I also think that considering slabs a waste product because they always have been is a mistake. Things change. The people that change with them are innovators and those that don't are......gone.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

cutterboy

Quote from: r.man on November 06, 2010, 07:29:37 PM
I also think that considering slabs a waste product because they always have been is a mistake. Things change. The people that change with them are innovators and those that don't are......gone.

Very well said r.man, I couldn't agree with you more.  Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

campy

November is garlic planting time in TN, USA.

So I laid them about 6 inches apart and planted the garlic in between.

They will keep weeds down and moisture in.

Next wood chips over the spaces in the slabs.

Sawdust could be used too.

The fungi in the wood are good for the plants.

captain_crunch

M_Man
I can ship some to you if ya need some more ;D ;D
I cut what i can for kindlineg and give away the rest and burn what don't leave but seems a waste to see all them btus go up in smoke
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Magicman

Maybe it would be better if we just forget the darn slabs, meet at the Big Texan Steakhouse, have a steak and wonder what all of the rich folks are doing.

As I said, all good threads eventually turn to good food.   food3

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Magicman

Or a couple of slabs of Jerry's ribs.   

Jerry's ribs.

More of Jerry's ribs.

OK, or even more of Jerry's ribs.  My kind of "slabs".    food6

paul case

those were ribs cooked by jerry werent they?

slabs for slabs sounds better than cash for clunkers to me. nothing goes to the crusher that way.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

wannasaw

Dog hunting camps like the pine slabs here for making a short lived hot fire in a barrel or truck rim, then it's off to the hunt at sun up without leaving an all day fire in camp. That could lead up to talking about food. 8)
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

barbender

I burn mine in our OWB when the temps are mild, they disappear pretty quick. If I sawed daily with the woodmizer I'd never keep up with the slab pile though.
Too many irons in the fire

cutterboy

Quote from: campy on November 06, 2010, 10:46:27 PM
November is garlic planting time in TN, USA.

So I laid them about 6 inches apart and planted the garlic in between.

They will keep weeds down and moisture in.

Next wood chips over the spaces in the slabs.

Sawdust could be used too.

The fungi in the wood are good for the plants.

Hey Campy, That's a very interesting idea. I've mulched with hay and grass clippings and leaves and newspaper, but never with slabs. You've got me thinking. smiley_idea

cutterboy

Quote from: Okrafarmer on November 07, 2010, 09:08:25 AM
Anybody for a slab of bacon?

We wouldn't have trouble getting rid of that kind of slab. :D :D ;D

We wouldn't have trouble getting rid of a slab of Jerry's ribs either. Oh my my my my, they sure look good. Oh my my my my.

Thank You Sponsors!