Sponsors:

yew wood logs?

Started by oregonsawer, October 31, 2010, 03:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonsawer

I have received some Yew wood logs.
Don't know what to do with them.
Any advice?
How to saw or how much the wood is worth?

Thank you.

redbeard

What are the diameters? I wouldn't be in hurry they will keep, it is nice stuff there are several species some folks seek out the bark for medicinal uses so save all the parts, I got 3.00 bf for this type a pacific yew alot of red in it

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

islandlogger

Yes let's hear the diameters of what you got. I salvage a Pacific Yew several years back, one of the biggest I have seen round here, 28" at the butt.  I milled it into alot of 1x stock, guy bought it off me for trim wood @ $6.00 a BF (he offered the price, I didn't refuse!!) each piece has different color variations, purples, pinks, reds, whites, beutifull stuff and would LOVE to get my hands on more of it (and give that high roller guy a call again lol)...

luck

islandlogger

redbeard

Wow that is a big one was that from the san jauns? We still have a few on Whidbey but there 8"-10" the one in pic was a 12"
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

SwampDonkey

I've seen some of it on the Queen Charlotte Islands and it was usually a rare find and never seen anything bigger than 6". On the forum here, I have seen the odd post over the years for some yew under the wanted section. It's the densest softwood around. When someone is after it, it is usually a specialty product they are making from it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ely

bowyers usually like the wood to make self bows out of.

northwoods1

Quote from: ely on November 01, 2010, 09:08:48 AM
bowyers usually like the wood to make self bows out of.

Yes, I'll bet if you had some that was suitable for bow making there would be a lot of bowmakers who would like to make your acquaintance.  :)

islandlogger

Redbeard  yes that was a big one, havn't seen one that size before or since round here so I was lucky, they normally are the size you stated though I do know of one that is pushing 17"  The big one I salvaged was a blowdown about 25 feet back from a beach, I only found it because I saw the tip pushing out on the sand and investigated, I approached the landowner about it and he said I was welcome to it! Funny thing is, his property borderlines the large TNC land here and well the TNC said it was THEIR tree and the landowner said it was HIS tree and by that time I already HAD the tree! The TNC wanted to fine me (would have been my first and only logging violation) but it all turned into a big boundry line dispute and I got forgotten lol never heard any more about it and so I sold it off ...ka ching.....

islandlogger

backwoods sawyer

You have to watch out for shake in the yew wood or all you will be making is chopsticks, which by the way do turn out very nice. If you are finding them in the 8"-14" range that are sound, then you are doing good. I like to keep a handful of logs that I can put on the mill as needed. However, I also like to keep a stack that are milled up that the customer can look thru. I have had customers want them as thick as 4" to make salad forks, spoons, bowls, duck calls. Finding the sound clear bow blanks that pick up a bit of sap can be a bit more of a challenge.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

oregonsawer

These logs are 10to12" ,one is 16" but it dosen't look sound.
Thank you guys for the info it give me some to go.

Busy Beaver Lumber

I am originally from New York City and the name of that wood almost lends itself to a good linguistic joke such as :

"Hey, yew boys got any wood?" or "I am going to make yew and offer you can't refuse for that wood"
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

paul case

thats not yew wood its my wood?  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

captain_crunch

In this part of Oregon it is hard to find one over 12 in that is not hollow years back most of the bigger ones were BLACK MARKTED to Orient as Toga logs
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

backwoods sawyer

They were also used as corner fence post. I get a few request for smaller logs to be used as fence post, mainly from the old timers.  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!