iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

038 vs a 2171

Started by smith2bj, October 30, 2010, 10:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smith2bj

I have heard people talk about the Stihl 038 and I was curious how it compared to the Jonsered 2171.  Is this a saw I should look at picking up if I come across one or not? Looking for some input.

sawguy21

The 038 was very popular in it's day but is a heavy beast. I spent too much time replacing AV mounts to like them. The 2171 is basically a red Husky 372, I'll get flamed for this but IMHO a much better saw. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

:D "Heavy " is relative I suppose .The 038 is considered by many to be one of Stihls finest endeavers .Of that series the magnum is more desirable .

These saws still fetch a fairly good price if they are in good condition .The weak link is most likely the top AV mount .It will tear under stressed conditions, usually an up cut .In doing so it eventually tears the intake boot .

I personaly own three of this series ,an AV which is a tad over 60 cc's and two magnums .One stock which has seen over twenty years of service for a tree company and one that looks nearly new which is modified .

Rocky_J

The 038 was the forerunner to the 044. The 044 was lighter and a little bit stronger, although it was the same cc as the 038 Magnum. It also had a much better air filter design. The crappy air filter was the biggest shortcoming of the 038.

The 044 and Husky 372/Jonny Red 2171 are comparable models with about the same displacement and weight. I prefer the 372 although plenty of people prefer the 044 (MS440). The MS440 has been replaced with the MS441 which is heavier (EPA compliance).

There is a fair amount of weight difference between the 038 Magnum and the Husky 372. If you run them side by side you will most likely prefer the Husky due to the weight. I have owned both, I bought a brand new 038 Magnum about 25 years ago and used it for 12 years. Today I own four 372s. The 038 was great back in the day but it is a 30-35 year old design.

Al_Smith

It just kind of depends on what want to do with the thing and how much you want to spend .The 372 Huskys have plenty of power but unfortunately in the area I live there is no dealer support regarding parts availibilty .

The 038's (Magnum)you can get parts at any dealer because although they are not sold in this country any more the model 380 still is made off shore .

The 038's are definatley "old school " design .Nylon gear operated oil pump like the 028-42 and 048 .In addition a lot of after market parts are available .They are relatively easy to modify if that is your desire .

Bottom line is that both the Stihl and Husqvarna would be a desireable saw so it's more a matter of preference .

Brucer

I run a 441 and a 2171 side-by-side (sometimes literally). Same displacement, same chain, same bar length. The 441 is heavier (I'm guessing it's comparable to the 038). So ...

In the log yard, where I'm only bucking logs, I prefer the Stihl (mainly because the 441 uses a lot less fuel).

In the bush where I'm mainly falling and limbing, I prefer the Jonsereds because of the lighter weight.

Otherwise, not much difference. They both do either job well.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

HolmenTree

smith2bj you are in Michigan so you probably have some cold winters. From my experiences cutting in freezing temps is the 038 freezes up [carb icing] real easy even with the special order "winter kit" installed on it. The 044 was even worse because it put out more rpm and sucked in more cold air and snow. Stihl had to put a 044 "Artic" model out with electric heated carb to solve this problem.
The 2171 would be a good choice for the winter, like the Husky 372 they come with a winter kit when bought new [here in Canada anyways]. The air injection is shuttered off with the winter kit for proper operation in cold snow conditions. My 372 ran flawless last winter in -30F and lots of snow on the ground.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Brucer

Willard's made a good point.

My log yard is shut down in the winter so I've not had to use the Stihl in really cold temperatures.

The 2171 is what I use for any winter sawing. It has the cold weather kit but I've never had to install it -- probably 'cause when it gets that cold out I stay in.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Al_Smith

Well now this idea of  sawing wood when the temperature is cold enough to freeze the business off a brass monkey doesn't affect many people .To work under those conditions you either have to be needy or greedy  :D

HolmenTree

Good point Al I was waiting for a reaction to my last -30 post.
But actually the Stihl's iced up easier when it was just a little below freezing temperatures with lots of humidity. Loggers on the west coast had icing problems in high altitudes and it was no where near -30. Stihl was forced to introduce the "Artic" models after their saws were putting out more rpm worsening the freeze up problems.

Willard.

Reddog

YMMV,
But I have not had any trouble with any of my Stihl's freezing up at any time of year here in Mi. That includes an early model 044.
The only reason I had looked at an arctic was for the heated grips. Never bought one.
But for the most part any more I stop at -10F.

HolmenTree

The trouble came when snow sucked past the gap in the 2 piece top covers creating ice in the carbs venturi. Even with the rewind housing partially covered and the winter kit air filter cover on icing up was a problem while falling trees with stumps close to the ground in snow. With Stihls thermal insulating rubber boot intake maniflod, not enough engine heat was getting back to the carb even with the cover divider window open.
If your just cutting at the firewood pile and keep the saw in a warm garage then you might not have a problem
The only Stihl at the time that never froze up while logging  was my 064, it had a well designed winter kit. Those old Jonsereds and Huskies [ 630-670, 266] had the carbs bolted solid to the cylinder and lots of heat went back to the carbs for trouble free winter use through those 2 long studs.

Willard.

Reddog

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 04, 2010, 04:49:41 PM
If your just cutting at the firewood pile and keep the saw in a warm garage then you might not have a problem
Willard.

Felling and bucking for mine. Through them down in the snow to move stuff around, leave it running so you can find it. never used the winter shield kit. No warm garage here.
Just luck of the draw I guess. :)

Al_Smith

We haven't seen that twenty below stuff for years and nor has Mich .unless you live in the U-P up near the big lake .Now granted since the 60's we have had our moments but they are few ,than heavens .

Now every so often it takes a notion to get colder that the mammerty glands of a dead witch but that is fleeting .

Funny ,couple years back and cold I decided to attack a pile of late cold red oak .I threw everything I had at it including a 125 Mac with no avail .Then ,dumb me finally figured it was frozen wood .Never dealt with it before ,don't care to in the future .Might as well have been cutting concrete .

Reddog

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 04, 2010, 09:14:01 PM
We haven't seen that twenty below stuff for years and nor has Mich

???

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29338.0.html  We where happy at the first of March it was only in single digits to do this work. That year had a few -30 days.

Al_Smith

Well perhaps but it was the excepton not the norm .Even in Mich ,cold as can get ,it doesn't stay long.Sit by the fire ,take a cup ,chase the kids mamma around .It will warm up .  8)

No kidding though ,I remember the cold  winters and being out in them, history now . ;)

Mad Professor

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 04, 2010, 07:46:06 AM
Well now this idea of  sawing wood when the temperature is cold enough to freeze the business off a brass monkey doesn't affect many people .To work under those conditions you either have to be needy or greedy  :D

An ex boss had a saying: "If you are cold, you are not working hard enough".

In most cases, it was true.

Thank You Sponsors!