iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lost a magnetic sign today

Started by terrifictimbersllc, October 30, 2010, 08:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

Half way to my job today I noticed my driver side magnetic sign was gone.   >:( >:( >:(      >:( >:( >:( >:(     >:( >:( >:(   It is about 16 high by 24 wide and a new one will be about $60.  Happened once before.   Surprising to me no one found it and called me.   Maybe I"ll put masking tape on the back with a reward on it.    >:( >:( >:(

Anyone got a tip for me on this?  Some packing tape on the front?   Please don't tell me to paint my truck I can't because of zoning.   >:( >:( >:(     >:( >:( >:(      >:( >:( >:(

At least it was a very good job and a beautiful day.   >:( >:( >:(
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Okrafarmer

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 30, 2010, 08:50:13 PMAnyone got a tip for me on this?  Please don't tell me to paint my truck I can't because of zoning.   >:( >:( >:(     >:( >:( >:(      >:( >:( >:(

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

easymoney

what does zoning have to do with it? do you live in one of those exclusive neighborhood that does not allow you to own a work truck?

Okrafarmer

I took it that's what he means. America, land of freedom. Breaks my heart.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Tom

If your name and number are on the sign, you might get it back.  Regardless, it's a piece of advertising that is floating around out there somewhere.  All it has to do is get you a $60 job. :)

I know it's tough to loose stuff like that.  When I first started, I lost the fender and the power-side door off of my LT-40.  I thought the world had come to an end.  As it turned out, I found that there was a lot more money in forging ahead than worrying about the small change.

Perhaps you could tie a nylon string to the sign and find a place to tie the other end on the truck, maybe a mirror or a door handle.  The noise should alert you that it came off.   Wouldn't it be a surprise if you found the string had been cut?  There are low-lifes out there that will steal anything.

weisyboy

get rid of it,

iv got them on my ute they havelifted  the paint off under them.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Captain

Dennis, do you always leave them on? Never saw them on Friday...

Captain

weisyboy

maby you saw the side that was missing?

how did you go lifting the mill on mate?
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

terrifictimbersllc

No I don't leave them on that's why they're magnetic.  Put them on when going out for business and take them off when I get home.   Already got the wood-mizer, cant have another commercial vehicle.  

Captain was very generous and outfitted his large frame with the 8-30 head.    I loaded it on and took it off again but he helped a little. Now I know what it feels like.  Can be done but for routine use would want a low trailer.   the 10-30 would weigh another 100 pounds.

Maybe epoxy on a little stud at the top front corner and tie it to the mirror with 50# mono.  Can't lift the leading edge that's where things go south (sorry, bad) thanks tom
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

bill m

Have the doors painted and get blank signs to match the door color. Stop and put them on just before you get to your street.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Banjo picker

The Natchez trace runs through this county in north Mississippi.  You can't run a unit with anything on the side that would refer to it as commericial.  Kind of unhandy if you need to go to Tupelo from here.  Leaving them on for very long at a time will ruin your paint job...I have lost a couple over the years...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

easymoney

natches trace runs through my county. i have heard that if you get stopped with any tools  in your truck you can get a ticket. i guess a chainsaw and axe would be a no-no no commercial vehicles are allowed. you can tow a boat on the trace but not a race car. if your vehicle breaks down  on the trace the wrecker has to ask for permission before he can come on the trace to tow you.

Chuck White

Hmmm.........Never heard of "the trace" !

Must be kind of like some of the parkways down in NYC.  Can't have a commercial vehicle or tow a trailer on any of them.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: bill m on October 31, 2010, 08:23:25 AM
Have the doors painted and get blank signs to match the door color. Stop and put them on just before you get to your street.

I like that! 

terrifictimbersllc

I drive to southwestern CT a fair amount where Google is always suggesting the Merritt Parkway.  No commercial vehicles so i don't take it with the Wood-Mizer.

sigidi

Wow - no commercial vehicle thing just sounds amazing to me, couldn't imagine us being regulated like that... ya not even allowed tools in the vehicle!!! What The???? wow!!!
Always willing to help - Allan

customsawyer

I have a hard time getting my head around that thought as well. I have a bunch that I could share on the subject but I will refrain out of respect for this forum. :-X
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

TT mayby you could have a hinged flipdown sign on the truck racks, when not in business mode have a cutesy saying like save the whales or eat more possum on it .Any way to add more magnet power to the sign.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 01, 2010, 07:09:40 AM
TT mayby you could have a hinged flipdown sign on the truck racks, when not in business mode have a cutesy saying like save the whales or eat more possum on it .Any way to add more magnet power to the sign.Frank C.
"Save the trees"  or "Sawyers are Green" ?

JSNH

Put a super strong NEO magnet on top of the sign. They are avaliable in sizes so big they can crush your fingers between two of them. One from the inside of a junked computer hard drive would be bing enough to prevent the wind from taking the sign off.

pnyberg

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 31, 2010, 12:00:48 PM
I drive to southwestern CT a fair amount where Google is always suggesting the Merritt Parkway.  No commercial vehicles so i don't take it with the Wood-Mizer.  Have come back on it though when leaving mill overnight (and taking signs off my truck which is half the work now)  ::) ::) ::)

I have the same problem when taking the mill into Fairfield County.  With Google Maps, you can drag the route to another highway, but there's no way to tell my GPS to find another way. 

I find the wording on restrictions on the Merritt a bit ambiguous.  They do say that commercial vehicles are prohibited.  They also say that vehicles with combination plates are OK as long as they have a gross weight of under 7500 lbs.  I've risked using the Merritt without incident even though I have painted lettering on the doors and tailgate.  My plan if I got stopped was to say that I took commercial to mean commercial plates, and I have combo plates. 

The regs are here: http://www.ct.gov/dot/cwp/view.asp?A=2137&Q=294976

The mill is definitely a no-go though.

--Peter
No longer milling

Hobby_Saw

Sounds like you need magnetic signs the color of your truck, with no writing! :D

Busy Beaver Lumber

Terrific Timber

My wife and I own a sign shop. We make the same type of magnetic signs you just lost. I will offer some tips and suggestions.

There are five main reasons that those signs will take flight off of vehicles:
1. They were not stored flat when not in use and developed a curve or tendency for the edges to curl up. Once and edge curves up and the air get under it...bye bye sign. One of the best places to store the signs when not in use it to stick them to a freezer or refrigerator door in your garage when not in use
2. The door or the back of the sign were not perfectly clean. Best way to ensure this is to clean both surfaces with alcohol. Even a small amount of dust or road grime will greatly decrese the ability of the magnet to stick, especialy at higher speeds.
3. The door had a good coating of wax. Kind of a no win situation. You wax the vehicle to protect the paint, but then when you put the magnetic sign on the wax makes it easier to fly off.
4. Doors with a crease or sharp, well defined contour bend in the panel and magnetic signs do not mix well. The magnetic sign is not capable of bending at such a sharp angle and even the smallest gap will greatly increase the chance of the sign lifting off the car or truck door. Only apply them to dead flat surfaces or to ones the bend smoothly and gradually
5. Lastly, you probably were driving faster than 50 mph when the sign took off. Unfortunately magnetic signs are well suited for around town at slower speeds, but not well suited for highway usage and speeds over 50 mph

I would suggest you price around and find a cheaper sign shop because I can tell you that we make a pair of signs for about half what you said you paid for that pair and any good sign shop would keep your pattern on file and be willing to make you one replacement if you ever were in need of just one.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

terrifictimbersllc

Probably 5) I was going pleasantly along at 65mph.  8)  I keep them sandwiched between 3/4 ply in a carrier I made.  Truck has no wax on it.   ::) ::)  Seems pretty clean.
Maybe not put them on till I get off the interstate.   I've had calls but no jobs yet from the signs anyway.   They do cost $65 each to replace, just a phone call they have the illustrator file I sent.  They're about 16 by 24 and are made from two layers of vinyl to give the 2 different colors, one layer cut somehow to give the designs I made on it.  Would be better if cheaper but seem to be worth it to me based on what they are.  I'll get a picture.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Man, I have to raise our prices. We sell them single color for $45 a pair and Multi color, up to 4 colors for $60 a pair. I think our blanks are 12 x 24
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!