iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

leveling track

Started by fivedogs, October 30, 2010, 07:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fivedogs

i currently have a hudson 228  mounted on a slab  with some hemlock  2x8  bolted to the slab with the track bolted to the hemlock  using  wood shims to level  i want to find a better way to level and  keep level without  starting over from scratch   should i use a  level system with threaded rod  set into the hemlock   or some other way  anyone have some pics of a good  system   thanks  for any help  fivedogs

r.man

Is your pad shifting because what you described should remain stable.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

fivedogs

the shims   have degraded  swelled  with the weather etc  causing the track to go out of level and square  should i use metal shims  replace the wooden ones with newwooden  shims ? i think the  slab is stable  just looking for a more  stable and permanent way of adjusting  instead of using  wooden shims  thanks fivedogs

redbeard

You could try the composite shims, Is the hemlock pressure treated? 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

fivedogs

replaced  shims with new cedar shims   today and saw cut   great and track stayed level all day  but   i think i will try the composite  ones  after i get some of this work done Thanks for the advice,  fivedogs

5quarter

5dogs---

Weld a 1/2" bolt to the frame at each corner and where the track sections join. run a bolt through them to a steel plate attached to the hemlock. once the mill is fully supported on the bolts and leveled, lag screw it to the blocking. Alternitively, you can also use ashphalt shingles for leveling shims. they are completely weatherproof and as far as bI can tell, do not compress. I have 10' track sections and level at 0', 10' and 20'. I also block support at 5' and 15' to ensure no flex in the track.

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

bandmiller2

Fivedogs,you would go along ways twords stability with a roof over your mill that will reduce alot of the wood moving with moisture problems,besides make it more comfy to operate.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fivedogs

Thanks for all the advice guys  i am working on building over the mill (finally  and never thought to use shingles  i think i will  try  the leveling system with the lags  sounds  like a great idea   so thanks to you all   love the forum great place  to go to learn or when i get stuck on something  Fivedogs

mandolin

I also have a Hud-son 228 and had a lot of track problems. I finally poured a 28 inch by 24 foot concrete slab with concrete L-bolts about every two feet. Then my brother made me a bunch of tie down clamps out of 2 inch angle iron. A friend of mine who is a machinist cut oval shaped holes in the clamps. The clamps fit over the bolts and rest on the track base. By using metal shims and tightening the clamps, by way of lock washers and nuts on the concrete bolts, I got my track perfectly straight and level. I can saw a 22 foot log on my 228. I also built a log deck and a nice shed over my mill.
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

fivedogs

got any pics mandolin would love to see them

Thank You Sponsors!