iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions on Husky 359

Started by Treebeard, November 18, 2003, 07:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treebeard

I'm thinking about buying a Husky 359 with a 20" bar. It will be used to cut oak, pine and manzanita. The oaks and pines run between 18 and 30 inches in diameter. Most of them are "cooked" on the outside from the recent fire here.

Is this enough saw for my purposes? I'll be cutting several dozen larges oaks and pines and hundreds of manzanitas.

Would appreciate any comments.

SasquatchMan

Hi Treebeard, welcome to the forum.

I would give you a qualified yes as an answer - that 359 has very similar performance to a Stihl 290 - output is better for the weight though.  I have a 290 and have been really impressed with what 57cc size of saw will do.

The question isn't whether you can cut that stuff with a 359 - it's how fast you want to cut it.  The 365 gives a significant upgrade in horsepower for about 3/4 lb weight difference, so that might be a good choice too.

Around here, the answer always seems to be "Husky 372", but this comes from guys for whom speed = $$.  Surely a 372 will rip a 359 a new one, but gosh, that's a big heavy saw - it should!

You might compare specs/feel of the Stihl 280 and 360, which both perform in the same area as the 359.  I would think the 280 a little less saw, the 360 a little more than the 359, but I'm sure others will fill you in on that with subsequent posts.

Good luck with your cleanup.

Senior Member?  That's funny.

Treebeard

Thanks for the input SasquatchMan. I'm not so much interested in speed as I am in reliability and durability. I've had several saws in the past (Homelite, McCullough, Craftsman), but wanted to get a higher grade this time. Sounds like the choice is either Stihl or Husky. I'll check into the Stihl saws you mentioned.

Thanks also for your words of encouragement about the cleanup. Fortunately, unlike most of my neighbors, I won't be cleaning up the remnants of my house which survived only due to a neighbor who set backfires around it before the main fire hit. But I do have 65 acres of charcoal now. Sure improved the view!

TJACK

Treebeard,

I have a 359, which use to cut firewood with over the last two years.  I am very happy and impressed with this saw.  Dispite also having a 372, I opt for the 359 some days on wood under 14".  The response above says it all.  It comes down to what do you want to spend.  For felling the size of tree you are talking about I would use my 372, but the 359 will do the job.

TJACK

SasquatchMan

Tree, I suspect the Stihl 360 would be in the same league as the Husky 365.  The rap on these units seems to be that Husky has better vibe damping and better air filtration.  You're talking about cutting a lot of trees, and filthy trees to boot, so I would think you might lean toward the Huskies.  

For price, the Stihl 290/310/390 series offers lots of saw for a little less money than Stihl usually wants.  I've heard that 390s absolutely cut circles around the Husky 55r and 353 for the similar bucks.  Those Stihls are heavy though, and have plastic where more expensive saws have alloy...

At the end of the day, a guy should buy from a dealer who can offer parts and service.  Sounds like you're probably gonna go through a lot of air filters, if you're cutting burnt/dead stuff, so it might be worth seeing if "heavy duty" filters are available for the Husky - I know Stihl offers paper mesh and fuzzy fiber filters (which are better).

Treebeard

TJack and SasquatchMan:

Sounds like I should go for the Husky 359 because it will do the job for the amount of money I want to spend and will be better suited to the dirty conditions I will be cutting in. Now I have to find a dealer that has what I want at the right price.

Most of the larger trees that I will be cutting are already on the ground so I'll just be cutting them into rounds for splitting. My neighbor and his crew spent a whole night working until dawn setting backfires and cutting down large dead "beetle" trees that were all around my house. So, all I have to do is cut them up and split them. I'll only be using this saw on weekends when I go up there and not everyday like a professional would be.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise with me.

SasquatchMan

Expertise indeed!  You can go through to page 3 and find my posts from about a month ago about me buying my first saw!

Jonsered 2159 is the same (identical) saw as the Husky 359 - apparently Jreds are cheaper than huskies in some parts, so that might offer you the best all around deal.

Treebeard

SasquatchMan:

Well, for a novice you know quite a bit about chainsaws. Guess you really did your research before buying.

That's interesting about the Jonsered saws being almost identical to the Huskies. I'll look into it. I don't want to buy more saw than I need, but it will have to be able to cut all day long, or as long as my old back lasts.

Are Jonsereds made by the same company? Haven't seen any around here, but this ain't exactly logging country.

I've seen a few Husky 359s offered with 24" bars. Do you think that would be an option worth having? Used to have a wicked McCullough about 20 years ago that had at least that long of a bar. With the right chain it would rip through dead oak and manzanita. Manzanita is so hard when it's dry that sparks fly when you cut. That saw was a humdinger, but as dangerous and as cantankerous as they get. When it worked it was great. When it wouldn't, that was it for a couple of hours until it cooled down. Real pain when you're trying to get work done.

But I was thinking a 20" bar would be easier on the saw in the long run.

Thanks again

SasquatchMan

Jonsereds come out of the same factory as Huskies - I've heard from a guy who saw the plant.  Same saw.  But as JRed is a little less well known, you can pick em up a little cheaper.  (Actually around me, there's only one Jred dealer and the prices were no better than Husky at all)

There seem to be two camps in cutting - the folks (North American) who run monster bars and cut everything down in a single sweep, so to speak, and the folks (Scandinavian) who run monster saws with a 16" bar and use all sorts of plunge techniques (which they can get away with safely because the short bar is so much more controllable.  

You'll have to ask your dealer whether that saw will produce enough oil for a 24" bar if you want to go that big.

David_c

treebeard if you are going to be using a 24" bar i would go to the 372 and for just over a pound more weight trust me you wont be sorry. i would also stay away from the 365 as it is just a waterd down 372 my dealer wont sell them for just that reason. but the 359 should do you fine. you might also want to take a look at the 357 heard good things about them. good luck and dont foget safty gear.

SasquatchMan

See Treebeard?  You can run but you can't hide from having someone (David P, that is!) tell you to buy a 372.  I suspect that these guys are taking money under the table from Husky!  

Need a small saw for pruning?  Husky 372.
Need a saw for firewood?  Husky 372.
Need to carve a decoy?  Husky 372.

David, Jonsered's website indicates that their version of the 365 (cs2165) has "more raw power but a quieter temperament" than the 372 (cs2172).  What do you suppose that means?

rebocardo

I have a 365 and it does okay. It has an oiling problem I am trying to get fixed. It could have more power, but, it is light compared to the other saws. Plus, it fit into my price range and credit card, which was the most important thing. I shopped by the saw that was the best value for a 28 inch bar.

The thing I would like to address is the burnt wood. I cut an oak that got hit by lightening and the inside was burnt out. Cutting into this really bogged down the saw and on my 18" Poulan it totally clogged the saw and stalled it out like a pair of safety chaps would. The wet burnt wood comes off in wet curls and jams around the sprocket.

I found out why the Poulan clogged so easy, its dogs are not as big as the Husky. So, it sat closer to the log, which prevents the curls from cleaning out properly. Holding it back when making the cuts worked much better.

So, I would look at the saw that is the easiest to clean when it gets jammed and the one with the cheapest chain and bar.
Because the charcoal wood will really eat chains and clog the bar. Easier if you have a spare bar and chain to pop right on.

You might consider the saw that has a wider gauge chain available  were the burnt wood will be easier to clean out from under the chain when it compacts down hard.

Then figure on getting a big dog and minus its width from the saw and bar tip sprocket to get your real cut. A 24 inch bar would give you about a 21 inch max. cut.

Just my experience from cutting a burnt tree and then thinking about acres of them. Sorry for your tree loss, glad it was not you or your house.

qatanlison

Jonsered and Husqvarna are both made by Husqvarna factory, Jonsered put other hoods and covers on their saws which make them feel different from Husky - But as stated above, it's the same saw.
We scandinavians use short bars 'cos our timber isn't that big. 13-15" bars are the standard length in the business here and to fall timber at 30-40" isn't a problem. Long bars are actually frowned upon 'cos it shows lack of technique...
Personally I think it sure takes some technique to fall a big tree with a big bar, so I don't share that opinion all the way...

/Ola

qatanlison

Also, no one mentioned the 362XP wich is the successor of the awesome 262XP as an alternative for the 359. The XP engine has a more aggresive, fast accelerating character than the non XP, which is a plus when limbing. It has the same HP as the 365 and the same weight, but it'll out-cut it without doubt. It also has the small bar-mount, like the 346XP, 357XP - cheaper bars. It'll run both 3/8 and .325 chain.

Woodhog

I have a Jonserett 2159 which I think is exactly the same saw in Red vs Orange colour.
I use it for my main felling and limbing saw.
It came with a 15 inch bar, this seemed very poor to limb with
due to the shape of the saw.
I then put a 20 inch bar on it, I noted a decrease in revs with the 20 inch chain.
I cut maximum 24 inch spruce with it and it seems just adequate, I quite often think it is a bit under powered and I should be using the next engine size up.
It has been very reliable for one year with quite a bit of use, when it was new the dealer had to make some adjustments or remove something to do with pollution control as it wouldnt idle properly the way it came from the factory.
My next saw will be one size larger.

SasquatchMan

If Woodhog is correct, about the 359 not quite having the power you might need, Treebeard, but your budget is limited, I wonder if you should look at a saw like the Stihl 390.  These aren't quite as expensive because they aren't built with the same quality components as the pro stihls, but they have a very good reputation of being good value nonetheless.  The 390 has 4.6 hp and weighs 13 pounds, so it's a biggish cutter... I have the 390's little brother, the 290 (same weight, less hp!) and I really like it.

IndyIan

Treebeard,
I just bought a 372 last year and love it.  If your going to be cutting alot of 18-30" oak into rounds you won't regret getting more power, maybe even more than a 372...

If you are going to have to carry the saw around alot or do lots of small limbing then a lighter saw would be nice.  The ultimate combo is probably a 346xp and a 385xp but if you've got a smaller off brand saw you could use that for limbing.  Sometimes I use my Dad's 35cc Mac.

I would talk to your neighbor that did the fire break, he could give a good idea of an appropriate size saw for your application.  

Ian

PS.  Also make sure you get the right filter, the winter, silk mesh type is probably not going to do well in you conditions.  Get the summer one.

David_c

hey sas i only recomended the 372 becuase he is talking about a 24" bar plus the size of his trees. plus i think the 372 is just an awsome saw jhmo. i also recomened the 357 which is suppoesed to be a great saw. dont know anything about the johnsereds.

SasquatchMan

Ahm jest a pullin on yer chain, David.  :)

David_c

firtol88

How's that 359 doing TJACK?
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

Thank You Sponsors!