iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Minimizing warp in boards from leaning trees

Started by Okrafarmer, October 29, 2010, 11:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

We cut down some cherry trees today and there will be some lumber out of them.

You can't see everything real well there.

One of the fairly straight pieces was a sizable leader growing at an angle, maybe 10-20* from perpendicular. If I sawmill this leader (about 10-12" diameter), what way should I lay it on the mill to cut it to minimize warping while drying? I marked which way was up on the log so I will be able to use that reference point while milling. Would I be best off to look for quartersawing and eliminating the pith (kind of hard to qs a smaller log like this) or what?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

northwoods1

I wouldn't worry about it too much okra, that isn't a very big limb or it wasn't under to much tension. If I am worried about tension I just go for the 1/4 sawn but with a cherry I like the slab sawn grain. Just take it down equally and slab saw that cherry, pile and sticker it well, cherry needs to be dried carefully. Then find someone who can make something out of it, small cherry is OK it can be pieced together.  :)

Okrafarmer

Right beside the pith I may get 8-10" wide boards out of this log. There are some bigger ones there, too. I am really looking forward to milling this set of logs.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Tom

Try this link: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,683.msg7397/topicseen.html#msg7397

There are a lot of technique suggestions in the older posts on the forum.  Search for terms like saw stress, saw check, tension, reaction wood, etc.

If the log is straight and you are looking for the reaction wood, look at the position of the pith.  The pith will be located on the side with the least growth.  The wide grain will be the bottom of the log, or the side that was exposed to the sun, while the narrow grains will be the the top of the log or the side that was exposed to the rest of the forest.   Saw a pattern such as not to mix the two types of wood.

You may find some help in the knowledge base too.  Look under Forum Extras for Knowledge base and you may be amazed at the accumulation of Forum articles that have already been listed.

Thank You Sponsors!