iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yesterday's job

Started by nas, October 28, 2010, 11:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

Cut something new yesterday.  Any guesses what it is? ???

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Jeff

Looks like it could be Northern White Cedar
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Aroostooksawyer

Maybe Staghorn sumac but she is a very big one,if it is sumac.

Jeff

I'd say sumac is a better guess than mine
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Coon

My guess is that it is wood.   :D  :D  Nah, I really ain't got a clue but it does look interesting indeed.  Interesting snow white sap wood....
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

tyb525

Looks like a sumac, or ailanthus.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Holmes

Looks like sumac to me . Holmes
Think like a farmer.

nas

Sumac it is.  Had to cut this pile of it.  Probably got a whole 100bf out of it ;D

The store I cut it for will dry it, plane it to ¾" and sell it for intarsia art and other hobby pieces.  It was lots of fun trying to clamp all those little pieces!

I would cut a couple of flitches off the top, then turn it 180° and clamp it on this

It is a small piece of blade under the washers of the clamp backstop.  It really worked great to keep the log from slipping out.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

red oaks lumber

it's nice to see someone else thats cuts small pieces of firewood!
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

redbeard

Great idea on the broken band blade!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Okrafarmer

Quote from: nas on October 28, 2010, 02:35:28 PM
Sumac it is.  Had to cut this pile of it.  Probably got a whole 100bf out of it ;D

Nick

Did you mean 100 board inches?

Glad to know I'm not the only one to do this kind of monkeying around, and that it can actually pay off. I'd like to have a buyer like that. For my holly, for instance.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

barbender

I think we can all appreciate the broken band clamp setup.  ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Quote from: nas on October 28, 2010, 02:35:28 PM

It is a small piece of blade under the washers of the clamp backstop.  It really worked great to keep the log from slipping out.

Nick

Nick, you ought to add the blade trick to Useful Sawmill Mods, here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.0.html

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LOGDOG

Thank You Sponsors!