iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company brand winch

Started by jonnywood, October 28, 2010, 09:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnywood

just wanted to know if anyone had one, how they work, are worh buying. just looking for a low cost way of moving logs. the winch i am looking at is $400 @9000lb
what i look to do with a winch is skid logs i would think less than 50 feet and roll load them when i can.
thanks for any info
  JJ

Jeff

Clearly, the Forestry Forum software automatically tells you what it thinks of that company.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

jonnywood

i guess the added subject junk tool store says it all. never shoped there so now im glad i asked.

where is a good place to buy a winch?

Jeff

I've never bought a big one there, but a couple smaller ones at tractor supply
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

jonnywood
What other equipment do you have for logging?

Welcome to the forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_S.

I learned the expensive, hard way that you get what you pay for. If you go with a brand name like Milemaker, Warn or Ramsey, you will rarely go wrong.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

scrout

For $400 you should be able to find a used Warn 8274 upright.
That is an 8000 lb model, nice and fast when unloaded.
Any of the planetary designs can be painfully slow unless you get a two speed.
Plus you can still get parts and they are fairly bullet proof.

jonnywood

i have a pickup trailor chainsaw or 2 is it.
thanks for the welcom.

in my fist post and from the reading here i see log suply is the most important part.
so i thought i would look into collecting logs

thanks campy for showing me your place and fielding lots of my questions.

Larry

I've been thinking a lot about a winch.  Plans are to buy another big gooseneck to haul large log loads.

My experience with electric winches has been that they are great for a few pulls.  After that they start to overheat (dependent on load) or the battery gives up.  For loading a dozen log load, I'm thinking about a Mile Marker hydraulic.  Even better would be a pto winch driven by a small gas motor.  Maybe one of the old Tulsa winches...they never die.

Warn seems to be the name in electric winches and they have a 8,000 pound model that would be adequate and not to high priced.  Sam's Club has a 10,000 pound no-name winch for around the $400 mark.  My buddy has used one for over a year junkin with no problems.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

petefrom bearswamp

Hi all,
Is all of their stuff junk or just the store brand?
I have never bought there, but they seem to have a lot of well known brand names.
The shipping costs always scared me off as I can get stuff at comparable prices at TSC and other stores locally.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Mooseherder

Pete,
It has more to do with what is right in this world and what is wrong.
That company doesn't deserve to be thought of as a respectable merchant.
To put it in a nutshell.  One of our sponsors here had their copyright and patent product stolen, reproduced and even included in the infringment was the marketing of a certain picture that belonged to the owner.
I can buy everything they sell somewhere else.

mandolin

I bought a 12,000 pound winch from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and mounted it on the front of my tractor. The brand name is Vortex. I use it when I am logging and also some around the mill. So far, I haven't had any trouble with it.
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

jonnywood

thanks for the input
mandolin how many logs do you pull with it
for my use speed would not be that big of a deal and i couldent see me loading more than 10 ever from one place.
at least for now i am looking for easy loading of yard trees

Mooseherder

smiley_turkey_hide

Bro. Noble

Re: northern tool Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company:AKA JUNK AND CRAP STORE:AKA JUNK AND CRAP STORE brand winch
Quote from: Mooseherder on October 28, 2010, 07:35:06 PM
Pete,
It has more to do with what is right in this world and what is wrong.
That company doesn't deserve to be thought of as a respectable merchant.
To put it in a nutshell.  One of our sponsors here had their copyright and patent product stolen, reproduced and even included in the infringment was the marketing of a certain picture that belonged to the owner.
I can buy everything they sell somewhere else.

They are a whole lot more than just sponsors.  They are long time members and friends and were treated very unfairly.  When that low down company hurts our friends, they hurt all of the FF family.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

John Mc

If you don't have a tractor to put a PTO winch on, have you considered a portable capstan winch or cable winch powered by a small gas engine? Bailey's sells a variety. Check out this link:
Bailey's winches

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

jonnywood

isent the small gas engine or capstan winch lots more dangerous? like the one that is powered by a chainsaw.

beenthere

Shouldn't be more dangerous.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Tom the Sawyer

Bought a MileMarker 8000 lb. 12V winch from 4wheelparts.com in June for $300, shipping included.  It had no problem with the largest log I have pulled so far - 5000 lbs.  Doesn't even seem to get warm but most of my pulls are about 20'.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

John Mc

Quote from: jonnywood on October 29, 2010, 06:32:34 PM
isent the small gas engine or capstan winch lots more dangerous? like the one that is powered by a chainsaw.

If the pulling speeds are the same, I would have guessed just the opposite. Electric motors tend to have a whole lot of torque at the low end. If you load down a gas engine too much, it stalls. If you load down an electric motor, it still keeps trying to pull just as hard as it did at full speed. This is one reason most chainsaw chaps are not rated for use with electric chainsaws.

Of course, all bets are off if they are running at different speeds. Most portable electric winches with any pulling power are quite slow (as compared to a tractor PTO winch). I have no idea what the speeds of the portable gas engine powered winches are.

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DanG

If you feel you just gotta shop at a junk store, make it Harbor Freight.  They may or may not be just as crappy as northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company, but at least they haven't offended us directly.  I ordered my Milemarker hydraulic winch from them and it was shipped directly from Milemarker.  I got it for significantly less $$ than the advertised retail price, but it still wasn't cheap at $899.  It has been well worth the investment though, as I haven't found anything it won't move.  I have had to tie the truck off to a tree to keep it from dragging the one-ton dually around.  The winch is powered by the truck's power steering pump.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!