iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When did dimension lumber start?

Started by Brad_bb, October 28, 2010, 12:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I live in an old farm house that is framed with actual 2" lumber.  I'm trying to get an idea of when it could have been built.  It was not built from local trees.  The wood if very dark brown now.  I'm guessing it could be fir.  When did dimensioned lumber start or become prevalent?  My area would have used lumber brought in from elsewhere as there aren't much here for trees.  I'm sure there was oak at one time, long ago, but no pine or fir.  Joliet, IL.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

kderby

I'll bet that the lumber is Douglas Fir also called "Oregon Pine."  The trains supplying the west coast could be loaded with lumber for the back haul to the midwest.  I am not much help on dates.  Is it circle sawn or band sawn?

Some one here can give a description of the beginnnings of balloon frame homes, that is another milestone.  I think balloon framing started in the midwest.  That led to the demise of timber frame dominance.  I do not know the period that occurred. 

Kderby

tyb525

My family's house has full 2" framing, all of the ones I've seen during remodeling, etc., are oak or other hardwood. I know it was cut from our woodlot, most likely. The house is over 100 years old, but it is not balloon framed (as far as I know)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

laffs

think there was  something on the history channel about that, thinking late 40s ,plywood has been around since mid 50s
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Bridgewright

Do you mean stick builidng ?

Hereabouts, it began to be peppered in in the mid 1840's, but did not gain dominance until a good twenty years later.

Of course, joined heavy timber continued to be the choice even after that, for barns, mills and public buildings. (Town halls and churches)

Brad_bb

Rooster

One of the Wisconsin Historical sites near Greenbush has a timber-framed, waterdriven saw mill that was re-created to replicate the one that was used in the mid to late 1800s. It is a muley saw with a single saw blade, but it's not a band saw.

http://wadehouse.wisconsinhistory.org/Explore/Sawmill/Riverview.aspx

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Ianab

Yup, another system before bandsaws and circle mills they used sash sawmills. Basically like a manual pit saw, but in a frame like a sash window. Nothing high tech about it at all and it was usually all wooden. When it wore out, you sawed out another one... The saw marks would look similar to a bandsaw?

You powered it with this if there wasn't a river handy.

It was even portable so you could haul the mill to a new site.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Brad_bb

I cannot say the wood is band sawed, but it certainly is not circular sawn.  I think the house was built after 1925, lets say, but not after 1950.  It's just my guess.  It is red brick on the outside.  So I thought maybe the dimensioned lumber date could be pinned down perhaps.

Bridgewright

The Herrling Sawmill was replicated by Rondout Wooodworking of Saugerties NY, (a company that specializes in millwrighting and preservation work) together with a cadre of hired gun journeyman timberframers, (most of whom were hewers) myself included.

The small scantling sawn stock in the frame was to look like it came off a muley, this effect was created by using a Mizer with a consistent feed, and using sharp blades with one tooth intentionally bent over.

Mooseherder

Our first house was built with full dimensional lumber in 1953.
It was Dade County Pine.

laffs

theres a working sash saw in derry nh its powered by a water wheel.
its a museum they run it on weekends. jim may have seen it,its not far from him
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

jdtuttle

Have a great day

Carpenter

Thank you for posting that jdtuttle.  I found it quite interesting as well. 

Mad Professor

O.K. I'll bite when did a 2 X 4 " become something "lesser" sort of 1 3/4" X 3 X 3/4"?

Is 5/4" 1.25".  If not WHAT is a 2 X 4 "  "  "   Note the quotes

jdtuttle

Yellow Pine Manufacturers Association Grading Rules adopted January 24, 1906:Sizes of Boards 1 inch S1S or S2S to 13/16 inch. Sizes. Dimension shall be worked
to the following: 2 x 4 S1S1E to 1-5/8 x 3-5/8 inches; 2 x 6 S1S1E to 1-5/8 x
5-5/8 inches; 2 x 8 S1S1E to 1-5/8 x 7-1/2 inches; 2 x 10 S1S1E to 1-5/8 x 9-1/2;
2 x 12 S1S1E to 1-5/8 x 11-1/2 inches. Dimension S4S 1/8 inch less than standard
(3)
(4)
size S1S1E.
;)
jim
Have a great day

Jim_Rogers

Mad:
I do remember 2x4's being 1 5/8" x 3 5/8" but I don't remember when they went to 1 1/2" to 3 1/2".......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on November 09, 2010, 08:20:22 AM
Mad:
I do remember 2x4's being 1 5/8" x 3 5/8" but I don't remember when they went to 1 1/2" to 3 1/2".......

Right after I built my house in 1968.  :) :)
Have had to put up with the larger size when adding on since that time.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

beenthere

Quote from: Mad Professor on November 08, 2010, 08:45:28 PM
O.K. I'll bite when did a 2 X 4 " become something "lesser" sort of 1 3/4" X 3 X 3/4"?

Is 5/4" 1.25".  If not WHAT is a 2 X 4 "  "  "   Note the quotes

That info is well documented in the link jdtuttle posted. It is a lengthy, but good read.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John S

I also remember 2x4's as  1 5/8" by 3 5/8' back in the 70's.  I think it changed to
1 1/2" by  3 1/2" sometime in the 80"s.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!