iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which grinding wheel?

Started by terrifictimbersllc, October 27, 2010, 10:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

My grinder (Efco, about 1990) uses 5-3/4" grinding wheels.  Bailey's sells pink Molemab ($11), pink Oregon ($15-20) and higher priced $30 Oregon wheels.    I use mostly 1/8" for 3/8 chain and a little bit thicker for 404 chain cutters  plus a 1/4 " for the depth gauges.

I used the MoleMab wheels but now they're worn out and I need to get new ones.   Wondering what you all prefer and why?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tyb525

Just a quick question, do you dress your wheels? (Not to say you wouldn't know, but some people don't)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

tyb525

Okay, just making sure you weren't someone who didn't do that ;) So that means your wheels really are worn out. I can't help you a whole lot, I use some generic old Bel-Saw wheels from the 70's. They seem to do the job, but I've never tried anything else. I've always wondered about the DinaSaw wheels, I've heard they last a long long time, but they are pricey.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

John R

3/16 wheel works a little better for the 3/8 chain.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

terrifictimbersllc

Maybe I wasn't clear.  I'm just asking about 5-3/4 wheel brands for chain sharpening.   Does everyone just use the least expensive pink wheels or is there a reason to pay twice as much or more for a $30 oregon wheel for example?    I've been sharpening chains with a grinder for 20 years now and have just used the pink wheels.

Captain

I use CBN.  But they're pricey.

Captain

terrifictimbersllc

Use them dry? Where do you get them?

NCFarmboy

Unless you are willing to spring for CBN use the pink Molemab they work great for me.

NCFarmboy
Lots & Lots of Saws

Cut4fun

Noticed when I am using my grinder it is leaving a curled or burr type edge the top plate when grinding rocked out or severe dulled chains to get them even backed up. The burr knocks off as soon as it is test cuts in wood, but I still wonder whats happening and why.

Ideas whats going on? This is even after dressing the stone.

Reddog

The wheel you are using is 1. too hard or 2. to fine of grit. a coarser wheel will leave a rougher finish but on heavy cuts will not roll a burr unless it is loaded up.
I switched wheels on my Maxx because the supplied ones rolled a burr way to easy. I switched to a ruby wheel from madsen's.
Another option is a CBN or ABN wheel. https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/foley/CBN_WHL_PLATED_5-3_4X3_16_7_8A_3700674.prod

Cut4fun

This wheel I am using is super coarse Stihl, just like the super coarse ones Madsen's sales.
I think it ends up being I am taking off to much at one time to even all the cutters the same.

Thank You Sponsors!