iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Moisture Meter?

Started by WoodHacker, October 26, 2010, 05:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodHacker

Thinking about buying a moisture meter for checking wood in my solar kiln and was shocked to see the range of prices.  Wow!

I wouldn't trust the $6 meter and don't think I need the $300 meter.

Which meter do you use or recommend?
Butch

WDH

I have the $400 Wagner pinless meter.  You get what you pay for and there are no free rides.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WoodHacker

My Google-foo must be week today as I did not find the $400 pinless meter.  Kind of makes one wonder how 'pinless' works...
Butch

poolman

I have a Wagner radio wave meter also.I bought it in 94 and I paid 350 for it with shipping.It uses a magnetic Field and it reads 3/4 inches deep in the wood.It is very fast and accurate.When You really need to test a lot of boards a pin meter would be a bad choice.You can buy a pin meter for 30 bucks online.Keep in mind my wagner works to todays standard after many years of use.I hated paying for it but its a life time tool i think.A 9 volt battery lasts a year in it.But if You need to spend little on a pin meter try harbor freight tools and get one made in china.Good luck ,Brian

Knute

I have a Lignomat Mini Ligno E which works well for me.

WoodHacker

Is it true that a pinless meter does not work well on rough sawn lumber?
Butch

poolman

A radio wave meter works on any type of lumber.I am on my second sawmill and have been sawing and testing moisture since 94.I would not have the time for a pin meter.My time is important to me and what i do must be fast. It reads 3/4 inches deep in any type of lumber, in  1 second a board.Try that with pins. Good luck ,Brian

trapper

opinions on deimhorst j-lite woodcraft has for $130 now
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Knute

Delmhorst has been around for a long time. I was going to buy one but was given the Lignomat for a gift, and it has worked real well for me. Looks like the price is about the same as the j-lite.

boman1

I bought one on eBay for 35.00 it works fine for what I use it for.

paul case

mine came off ebay about a year ago and cost $16 and shipping was free and it still works fine. pin type of course.pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!