iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reading material from TFG

Started by addicted, October 26, 2010, 03:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

I was looking at the TFG website for another book on timber framing.  Has anyone purchased the joinery and design books that they sell, and would you recommend them? I was also interested in the  book that has 30 plans. Is this a sales catalogue or are they really plans that you can build from?

Thanks
Rusty

Rooster

Rusty,

I have the Timber Frame Joinery & Design Workbook, and I highly recommend it.  It is full of a lot of info and diagrams.

I do not own the 14 Plans book...I have only seen parts of it on-line.  It is not a sales catalog, but I believe it has working plans for different types of structures.  It would be good if you are just starting out, but if you are anything like me, you might want to use a number design aspects from these plans and design your own frame to fit your needs.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jim_Rogers

Exactly which book are you referring to that has "30" plans? The book I got from the guild online store I thought only had 14? and it costs $30....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ljmathias

I bought the design book but didn't find much useful in it, at least not as useful as what you'll find here on the forestry forum...  just my $10 worth (figured I'd up my price from 2 cents since no one's paying it anyway   ;D)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

addicted

Sorry guys I meant 14 plans for 30$
Rusty

addicted

Rooster
Thanks for your input. What vol. workbook do you have? #1 or #2.
thanks
Rusty

swampfox

Historic American Timber Joinery by Sobon for $10.00 in an incredible value.  Many beautiful hand drawn diagrams of joinery and a wealth of info. 

Rooster

I have revision 3.01, February 1997....179 pages with a larger #3 on the cover.
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

witterbound

I've got the plans book.  The graphics make some of the joinery hard to see, if I remember correctly.  I found it helpful for examples of when various joints were used.  Never did build anything from the book, but most other books show how a joint is cut, or maybe where it is usually used.  When I got to cutting my frame I wasn't sure which joints I should use where.  I think the plan book was kinda helpful to see actual plans of different types of structures to see where the different types of joinery were used in the whole structure.

Thank You Sponsors!