iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gone with the wind.

Started by Bibbyman, October 26, 2010, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Wind speed right now is 28mph gusting to 38..  It's driving me nuts! 

There is no way we can saw in this wind.  The sawdust just chews us up.  Even with doors on our building, the wind will whip around and come in someplace and churn up the sawdust.

I've spent the morning in town getting filters and oil to do maintenance on the Terexes.  Got home and did that. But even that is a struggle.  The wind tends to give me a headache.

Mary's on the road from delivering flooring lumber.  It's got to be miserable out there driving.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Hire an old, retired, useless, visitor to stand on the upwind side of you.  He will break the wind!  ;D

paul case

not so tom,

they just make more.
the wind here was that way yesterday and today is just as bad with a lil cooler air temp. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bibbyman

I got my dose of that kind of wind already.  When I stepped in the oil distributer's office to get some motor oil for the Terexes,  one guy was in there that normally does deliveries.  He jumped on me right off wanting to know how big a log our mill could saw.  After a lot of wind,  his brother-in-law has a bandmill and they'd been given a bunch of cottonwood logs that were too big for market. (he didn't know that).  He'd been slabbing the sides off so they would fit between the rails of and 4 post mill.  He was leading up to asking me to saw them.  I all but told him flat out I wasn't going to mess with them.  I finally got the transaction made with the lady behind the counter and the guy goes off and gets my oil.  The lady behind the counter says, "Don't get him started about religion or politics!"  He gets back with the oil and starts in about the logs again and who he knew back when they were kids, etc. on and on.  His cell phone rings.  I say,  "I got to go."  And I went.

Get home and do some work outside and come in for lunch.  Message on the phone from a crazy lady that had ordered a couple of special size boards over a month ago.  We sawed them and called her to come get them.  She ordered a third board.  We sawed it and called it can called her again.  She's left some convoluted message about not being able to get someone to come out and get the boards.
Sawing since '94

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: Tom on October 26, 2010, 02:40:20 PM
Hire an old, retired, useless, visitor to stand on the upwind side of you.  He will break the wind!  ;D

Good thing you had the word "the" in there.  Otherwise you might want him to stand down wind.   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Winds are gusting to 60 here. We are in the midst of one of the worst wind storms I have ever saw while here in the eastern U.P.  News crawl on the t.v. a couple hours ago was that they were closing school to get the drummond Island kids on the next ferry home before it got any worse, and its suppose to.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mad murdock

Wow! You guys are getting hammered!  I could just imagine what things look like on Gitch-e-gumee right now.  I guess the November storms are coming early by you guys.  Hope you all weather it ok.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

From our weather man...

We are looking at a prolonged high wind event continuing into at least Wednesday evening...perhaps even into most of Thursday.

Sustained wind speeds are expected to be in the 20-30mph range but gusts, at times, will top 60mph.

The Coast Guard is urging people *not to go out on the water with 12'-20' waves possible.

Also, do not attempt to visit any Lighthouses or their piers due to the intense winds and waves.

---------------

Power lines and branches down in northern Mecosta County at 915a.m.
5 miles E/SE of Big Rapids

Wind gusts in the 40mph in many areas this morning.

1st Tornado Warning (in Michigan, anyway) 10:22a.m. for Allegan and VanBuren Counties (SW Michigan) for Rain Wrapped Tornadoes.

Just after 2p.m., a tree fell across the road and hit a car traveling in Sault Ste. Marie near 3 mile and Ridge. Some damage to car.

Peak wind on Mackinac Bridge so far 60mph

73mph (1mph below Hurricane Force) at Port Inland on Lake Michigan on the Schoolcraft/Mackinac County line in the U.P.

65mph at Big Sable Point Lighthouse in Mason County

54mph in Cadillac from a weather spotter

45mph at Frankfort Airport

41mph in Rudyard

---------------

This is a storm that bears some serious attention. We are looking at a solid two, maybe two and one-half days of sustained winds 20-30mph but the gusts will at least be double that, if not more.

This storm is similar in strength to the Armistice Day storm in 1940 where 5 vessels and 66 lives were lost on Lake Michigan alone.

Peak wind gust was 75mph. Telephone and power lines were downed. Roofs were blown off. Trees were uprooted, small buildings were overturned and brick walls were toppled.

This storm is also similar in strength to the Nov. 10-11, 1998 storm where winds of 80-90mph destroyed the hangar at the Frankfort Airport in Benzie County. Six private jets were damaged. In Lake City, a roof was blown off a hardware store onto an adjoining bank. A peak wind gust of 95mph was reported on Mackinac Island!!!

And finally, our Michael Stevens did some research on previous strong storms. If you remember the Blizzard of '78, this storm was the "strongest low pressure system in Michigan history" with a 950mb reading. This current system could drop to around a 955mb reading (over MN or extreme SW Ontario).

A 950mb reading converts to 28.05"

A 955mb reading converts to 28.10"

The center of this storm will move from the Northern Plaines to MN then N/NE into SW Ontario, so Michigan *might not see the true lowest pressure of the storm. However, if the storm moves over Lake Superior or the U.P., it could be very close to that record low pressure.

This is the kind of (prolonged) wind storm that will also create blowing and drifting sand along the Lake Michigan shoreline.

It will remain windy tonight with winds SW 20-30mph with gusts over 50-60mph possible. Partly cloudy skies are expected with a few showers in the U.P. and NW Lower Michigan.

Wednesday will be interesting in many ways.

We will see highs in the upper 40's to lower 50's for much of the E.U.P. and into the 50's across much of the NW half of Lower Michigan and into the lower 60's for Alpena, Atlanta, Mio, West Branch, Mt. Pleasant, etc.

A few showers should develop in the cooler areas mentioned above later in the afternoon and evening hours while some sunshine is expected farther SE. Winds will be SW 20-30mph with gusts topping 60mph very possible.

The winds will shift more W/NW Wednesday night into Thursday and remain on the gusty side. Sustained winds should be 15-30mph with gusts over 50mph. Highs Thursday will only be around 40 north and into the 40's south with scattered showers possibly mixed with snow showers north.

Friday will be much quieter!

-Stay tuned to 9&10 News/FOX 32 News for complete coverage on this midweek storm.

-Meteorologist Jim Lehocky

Jeff

I stepped out and took a quick video clip. I'll post it as soon as it finishes up loading.  Jeez, I about got soaked and never left the screen porch.

Jeff

Chuck White

Whow, that's pretty bad Jeff.

Much worse and you'll be watching tv, wearing a slicker and hip waders.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DR Buck

You guys better tune up the sawmills and sharpen some blades.  I'm thinking there's going to be a lot of urban timber needing to be milled.   :)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

mad murdock

I am sure there will be a lot of "windfall" from this duesy! I hope that people can stay save, especially the guys plying the waters of Superior and Michigan! I have seen 10 ft waves on Superior up by Egg Harbor, I can't imagine what 20 ft seas are like on one of the lakes!  would probably break apart anyone caught in the fray!  I'll stay tuned.  Thanks Jeff for posting the video and the MET synopsis.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WDH

Hey Boss, the pig won't fly in that weather............Hold on and hang in  :).  The weather is crazy.  I am in south Louisiana and the temps were pushing 90 degrees, possible record high today.  Global craziness  ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ahlkey

Winds hit near 55 miles an hour this morning and three trees close to the cabin just broke off like a pretzel?  Tomorrow they are saying the winds could reach 60 miles an hour. Hate to survey the overall damage once the storm passes but I am sure I will have a few more sawlogs to cut and plenty of firewood.   One of the worst wind storms I can remember.

Coon

Hey you guys are getting rain but we are getting snow.  We have blizzard like conditions here.  I'ma upload some pics in a minute. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Coon

These pics don't do the storm any justice of what the actuall conditions are but here goes...

Environment Canada is claiming that this is part of the "noreaster" that some of you are getting right now.  We don't normally get these same weather patterns as the majority of our weather comes from the westerly directions. 

The temps are supposed to drop off to -10 Celcius or so by tomorrow night so we should have some decent skidding conditions on the higher land.  ;D  I guess I had better get the snowmobile and arch ready for some action.  ;D  A foot of snow or better is expected before it cools down.... I think that'll be enough for easy pulling.  :o 

Brad.

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Coon

I think the man up above has dandruff again.  :D

Papa1stuff

1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Coon

Actually I think it just means easier skidding.  ;D

ScottAR

I think I saw a snow snake in the yard...  Do be careful out there... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

SwampDonkey

They've been over exaggerating the weather again on this end. Suppose to be all this rain and we ain't had 1/4" in 3 days. We had some wind last week, but it was dry weather. It's suppose to get into the 60's here for a couple days. The last two days in daylight hours, it never rained a drop while brush cutting, but a shower after work.

Now talking about wind. Every time I go to Woodstock to get groceries and bank and stuff the wind just howls in the parking lots. I asked the gas attendant if the wind ever stops in this town. :D

Coon, just call me if you need a hand sled to go get the groceries. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Swamp I think you better bring one out this way as long as you come with it.  Kinda a package deal..... will need ya to pull it around.  ;D  Remember the prairies are fairly flat and it's uphill both ways.  :D 

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

submarinesailor

Quote from: Dan_Shade on October 26, 2010, 08:17:57 PMwhat's that white stuff?

Dan,

After the winter we had last year, how can you ask such a question.  Or ARE YOU GETTING OLD LIKE THE REST OF US? ;D :o ::) ;D :o ::) ;D :o ::) :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

Coon

No hay burners aloud in town here.... and I'm too cheap to buy a dog licence.  ;)  Guess you get to be the power of the poormans winter taxi there Swamp.  ;D Hope you got a long wheel base as the drifts are already deep.   :D  :D

SwampDonkey

Sleds are meant to ride over the top, not under snow drifts. ;D

Jeff

I guess I'll be going off the air for a while. We lost electricity here now. Wind is still roaring but I just caught the news before the lights went out that they were beginning to calm. I was going to post some video that I took. Icey and I just went for a ride and took but it will have to wait as I want to save my batteries in case I need them.  Saw something I've never saw occur here before. The freighters are stacking up in the Saint Marys river coming down bound from Superior and the Soo locks. All sorts of them anchored out around Lime Island and the other islands waiting out the storm.

Jeff

That wasn't long. Electric is back. They must have shut it down just long enough to get the dead spruce off from the wires I saw just down the road.

Jeff

Short video montage of driving around the block here at the cabin.  Checked a little bay that is usually calm where we swim on North end of Lake Huron. It's hardly ever rough. It was today. Went on in to Detour where its protected more from the current wind direction. Then on to Raber Bay over looking Lime Island. Again, protected from the wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2mwQ_PNpqU

bandmiller2

Storm must have blown itself out just a few light showers and little wind here on the east coast. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bibbyman

Mary and I sawed today.  Wind in the 20s and gusting in the 30s.  No fun but we got in a good day's work.  Tomorrow?  Higher winds and 20° cooler.  Probably won't get much done.
Sawing since '94

Coon

Swamp, this snow is so wet that you can't ride on top of it, you just seem to cut right through to the slush layer that is on the bottom.  Temps are supposed to drop down to -14 Celcius here tonight but will slowly rise through the weekend.  They are claiming that by tuesday there is supposed to be a high of 12 above Celcius during the day.  I am thinking that this snow will mostly be gone by the end of next week cuz Indian Summer is on the way.  ;D  

barbender

It's sure been blowing up here, I've spent the last couple of days reattaching Tyvek :)
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

Still bad hot here in Louisiana and worse in Georgia.  Set a record today in Georgia at my home at 89 degrees.  Bad crazy.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Yessir, too DanG hot still.

sandhills

It's been blowing bad here the last two days, the grain elevator I've been hauling corn to sits on top of what has to be the windiest wide open hill in the county.  they keep track of the wind speed there yesterday it hit 73mph and today the top was 74.  He said it stayed between 50 and 60 for a long time today.  I beleive him because I got out my truck on one trip, it truly was hard to stand up straight.  Hope we're not sending any of this your way Jeff, sounds like you folks could use a break.

Ironwood

WOW,................ it has been beautiful here, mild for October and sunny and warm. Been going gang busters getting outside work done before the winter weather comes.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

We did get 2/10 during the day yesterday and another 2/10 last night. Cleared out here and going to be mild. Tomorrow night dipping to 29F but still nice weather ahead. Still some shine in that old moon, since full phase on Saturday. ;D

bugdust

Not a lot of wind in WV, and thank goodness for the rain! Seems each year about this time forest fires "mysteriously begin" for no apparant reason. The rain last week slowed them down, but the rain yesterday did the job. Thank you Lord! Sure sorry for you guys around us because it looks like some really got hammered.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Bibbyman

I hope we get some real rain here soon too.  Deer season has started and people tend to build camp fires and such.  Also people think they need to burn leaves.  The woods are far too dry and now the wind up, there could be some wild fires.
Sawing since '94

northwoods1

It got quite windy here too, just got my power back on it went out early tuesday morning. Was a lot better off then many other folks due to the good old trusty woodstove, large assortment of kerosene lamps, and generator to keep the freezer and fridge going. My weather station here said 27.22 hg for the barometric pressure which is the lowest I have ever seen it read. I couldn't believe the noise the wind made it was just steady all day all night for 48 hrs. Was pretty sad as I walked back in the woods today to see what the damage was, found I lost one the biggest trees on the property here a massive old white spruce. Now its leaning at a 45 degree angle into some cedar pole timber. Lots of other damage, trees down all over a little bit of everything.

Thank You Sponsors!