iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID my mill

Started by farmlife, October 25, 2010, 09:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmlife

hey guys I have a very old circle mill sitting on wood. 3 track sections 14ft each. sawbox has flatbelts and no id plate.carrage has 3 dogs on it. Every part on the mill has a S then the part number? Simmons mill?It is located in the piedmont of nc. The old man I bought it from said it came from bell branch mill. A old watermill in iredell county nc. you stand beside the saw box and the carage moves from right to left if you are standing athe hand control.

sandhills

Welcome to the forum farmlife, can't help you out on the id, actually I'm in the same spot you're in as far as figuring out what I have.  You came to the right place though someone here will be able to fill you in.

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

bandmiller2

Welcome Farmlife,yours is a common problem,their were some national brands of circular mills but most were local,seems every town had a small foundry years ago.Many of the local mills were just copies,show us some pictures if you can figure it out.Usally the best way is to ask locals in your area, especially old sawyers.Most mill are a mixture of parts anyhow and pieces from outher brands can be mixed in.Your its daddy now and its your duty to restore it. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday

First off Welcome to The Forum Farm life you have come to the rite place Mate  ;) :) :) 8) 8) 8)

With your mill it looks like you might have a Meadows Standard as they have always cast S or D and then the serial onto components as they have a Standard and Deluxe model avv on all three sizes of mills Id like to see some pics to make sure  though Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

farmlife

all right guys im going to try and get my wife to upload a few photos. untill then i have some more info. The planer/ molder that was with it is a salem 00 made in salem nc. It became Winston salem in 1913. the first mill was made in 1877 at salem foundry. If anyone has more info let me know.

Thank You Sponsors!