iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new order

Started by woodmills1, October 25, 2010, 09:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

285  1x6x16 oak horse fence   8)

anyone UPS more 16 foot logs :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

paul case

thats a good order,aint it? dont feel bad i would have to go logging too.i lost an order once when i told them i would have to go logging first since i didnt have the logs at the mill. i guess they thought it would take too long. logging is usually about twice as fast as sawing an order for me. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Bibbyman

I hope you priced them high enough.  Getting that many good 16' oak logs to fill an order like that would be a problem for us.  You'll likely produce at least as many board feet of "other stuff" that's always a problem.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

I have 16 smaller and 2 larger 16 footers on hand(kudos to the blue ox)  I picked up a stick at 16 today that will give maybe 20 to 30 pieces once I de tramp metal it(read 2 blades gone)

I have all my tree guys on notice for 16 foot oak and DanG if they ain't callin and tryin

but I bet the last 3 sticks I cut in my own woods

yes yes yes a great order, just so happens I benna real busy besides, notice how few posts this summer

the fence company didn't call all summer now this

ahhhh    Iffin it wassa easy they wudda alla boughtin da mil and bea doin it
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

and Bibby I am lucky enough to have another who will take any 8 foot 1x6 I make  so the leftovers will be only edgings, made into stickers and 1x5,4,3

can never have too many stickers but OH the time they take to make

I sell the 16 foot at 10 bucks if they mix in some 8 foot, for all 16 it is 12 bucks each

wannasaw

may be a newbie ???, but, what kind of oak are we talking about?
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

beenthere

woodmills1
How much defect is allowed in your fence board "grade" ?
Loose knots, splits, decay, knot size, holes, end splits, ??  Any limitations?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

northwoods1

Holy smokes $12 per piece, you could find a mountain of scrub/pin/black oak logs around these parts for cheap it all goes for pallets. Even if it cuts out long, large diameter, sound, relatively knot free logs most sawmills won't even look at it or pay hardly anything.

Bibbyman

Quote from: northwoods1 on October 26, 2010, 06:17:05 AM
Holy smokes $12 per piece, you could find a mountain of scrub/pin/black oak logs around these parts for cheap it all goes for pallets. Even if it cuts out long, large diameter, sound, relatively knot free logs most sawmills won't even look at it or pay hardly anything.

We find pin oak not worth bringing on the lot at any price.  Black oak a little better if butt cut and straight but most everyone has gray rotten spot in them somewhere and often an ant farm.

Our best bets for 16' stuff are post and burr oak butt cuts.  After that, white oak top logs then red oak top logs. (we seldom get butt cut white or red oak logs). 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

northwoods1

Quote from: Bibbyman on October 26, 2010, 07:17:01 AM
Quote from: northwoods1 on October 26, 2010, 06:17:05 AM

We find pin oak not worth bringing on the lot at any price.  Black oak a little better if butt cut and straight but most everyone has gray rotten spot in them somewhere and often an ant farm.

Our best bets for 16' stuff are post and burr oak butt cuts.  After that, white oak top logs then red oak top logs. (we seldom get butt cut white or red oak logs). 

I don't know bibby, in certain parts of the country around here there are large areas of sandy ground covered with mostly what we call "scrub" oak. It gets big. I don't know if there is really much of a difference or not between scrub, black, pin and these types of Oak, but I can tell you for certain that sometimes this type of wood can produce some nice looking logs. Few knots, perfectly sound, no rot, long straight, large diameters (24"-36").... I don't know but I've seen one heck of a lot of logs from this type of oak that looked to me like they would have made darned good horse fencing!! Speaking as someone who has built a fair amount of it :D Why won't you buy pin oak because of low quality or?

woodmills1

most of the time the fence company takes a mix of 16 and 8 foot pieces
and they pay me for all I cut that are strong/sound

this job is all 16 foot and I will cull out any pieces that don't "look" good even if they are sound

Most of the logs are northern red butt logs, with a few white and black

when the red is good it is truley beautiful, while the black tends towars more small knots

bandmiller2

Mr. Woodmills,did you ask those folks if their going to use full 16' many times they only want 8' but think they'll save money with 16' which makes procurement and handling much harder for you. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

laffs

it sounds like a nice order. i could use one of those a week
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

bill m

I could supply you with all of the 16 ft. Red Oak you need off of the job I am cutting now or even off of my next job I will be starting the first of Dec.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Kansas

If you want quality, its going to cost. And long stuff costs more. That's 1.50 a board foot at 12 dollars each. That is not out of line at all if you are giving them a good product.
Had 6 semi loads of bur oak logs come in yesterday. Including three loads that came in after dark. We aren't exactly set up to unload in the dark. But we got it done.  More than we need, but the quality was outstanding for trailer deck or beam type of logs. On these loads were 30 20 ft logs , plus a few longer. We bought all these logs just to get the 20 ft ones.  We paid 80 cents a bd foot for those 20 ft logs, quite a bit less for the shorter logs.  Most all of the 20 ft logs  included the butt log. We have a lot of them sold as beams. We get 2.20 a bd foot for that length. The key to selling that is, we have the logs on hand, ready to go. Maybe in other parts of the country you can run more of a "just in time" type inventory system. I don't have that luxury. When I can get good logs, I have to do it.

woodmills1

first the fence company is a long term customer
a well run family based local business that has tried hard over the years to keep the employees paid, and 2 of the principals live on my street

they asked me If I could complete the order, while explaining that the customer is picky, wants only 16 foot to cut down on gaps, and he will be staining each piece himself.  (I know thats a bad Idea for green oak, but they/he have been through this before

picking up 6 more logs in manchester(far for me) tomorrow and looking at 6 more in dunstable friday

moving and cleaning around the mill fri after and then have at it

new box of 7's on the way

Papa1stuff

Woodmills,have you tryed the 4* blades on oak ,I have and they seem to work better than the 7* at least for me!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

laffs

to bad you couldnt get some sort of deal on all that stuff along 101 that  was damaged by the ice storm dont know how much oak there is  but theres a ton of hardwood.lots out towards peterborogh area
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

boman1

I just finished cutting 80 oak 14'
8x10 and 80 16' 8x10 ...they may need 160 more. I hope so. The side lumber for the 16' is 2" for board road customer . We've had very little rain so we are getting some really good hardwood right now.

woodmills1

107 pieces done 6.5 hrs cut and move time, hadda do other things

some of my old logs are not getting the pieces I thought due to the white bits I wont put in this order

but              many logs left   still having at it

DanG wish everyone needed harse fence

got 740 bd ft from one new woodmizer 7 degree blade

and no metal hit yet

Peter Drouin

107 pieces in 6.5 hrs not bad :D :D  are the blades 55 1.25? :) :) :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

woodmills1

half done and looking at 2 more logs tomorrow

way busy picking up mountains of pine also

woodmills1

job done  check in hand................very sweet

31 pieces from the last log after removing heavy metal

3 trashed blades from metal, 2 others will be fine with a sharpen

some 30 hrs in without counting the last clean up still needing to be done

Thank You Sponsors!