iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Want to know what to plant on half acre next to house.

Started by ncguy444, October 25, 2010, 10:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncguy444

Hey all. I live in Ohio but own timberland in the carolinas. I am more familiar with practices there than here. I have about a half acre that has good soil and is on about a 7-10 percent slope. I am tired of mowing it.  I also want to make some good critter habitat and want to grow some timber. A few questions. What type of timber should I plant?? I was thinking of going half black walnut and half black cherry. I am getting the trees from the West Virginia Nursery. They have 2 year old walnut and some 1 year old cherry. I was thinking of spacing initially 8 foot by 10 foot and planting them together in alternate rows. Is this a good idea. Thanks,

Phorester

Black walnut secretes Juglone, a chemical that kills most neighboring trees and other shrubs and garden crops. This is called an alleopathic response.  Several plants have that to some degree.  Wouldn't begin killing them right after planting, but would in 8 - 10 years or so.  Between walnut and cherry, I'd go with either one or the other.  Also, wilting cherry leaves will kill livestock, if that's a concern. The wilting process creates cyanic acid, which is the main ingerdient in cyanide. Green leaves are no problem, dead leaves are no problem (which livestock wouldn't eat anyway).  Just when they are wilting.

ncguy444

Quote from: Phorester on October 25, 2010, 01:06:04 PM

Black walnut secretes Juglone, a chemical that kills most neighboring trees and other shrubs and garden crops. This is called an alleopathic response.  Several plants have that to some degree.  Wouldn't begin killing them right after planting, but would in 8 - 10 years or so.  Between walnut and cherry, I'd go with either one or the other.  Also, wilting cherry leaves will kill livestock, if that's a concern. The wilting process creates cyanic acid, which is the main ingerdient in cyanide. Green leaves are no problem, dead leaves are no problem (which livestock wouldn't eat anyway).  Just when they are wilting.

Thank you for the reply. That is why i want to plant Cherry also is because of the juglone released from the walnuts. They would be the interior trees to be walnurt and the cherry would be closer to the edges. I have grape plants on one side and my raised bed garden is on the other. I would keep the walnut at least 50 foot on center from either or. Will the cherry and walnut grow good together? I heard it is better to plant different tree species that are somewhat similar to help each other grow faster and stronger. Thanks

Phorester

The roots on any tree will eventually spread out farther than the branch spread above ground.  So if you planted black walnuts, when their crown spread gets to be, say, 20 feet out from the trunk, the roots could be spread underground 30 feet out from the trunk. That's where the Juglone will be. I'd think on only 1/2 an acre of ground that there is not enough room for black walnut trees and any other plants. 

ncguy444

Quote from: Phorester on October 25, 2010, 09:27:40 PM

The roots on any tree will eventually spread out farther than the branch spread above ground.  So if you planted black walnuts, when their crown spread gets to be, say, 20 feet out from the trunk, the roots could be spread underground 30 feet out from the trunk. That's where the Juglone will be. I'd think on only 1/2 an acre of ground that there is not enough room for black walnut trees and any other plants. 

Last question then and thanks so far for the help. What tree then as far as future timber value, wildlife benefit, qrowth ect would you plant. I was thinking either, cherry, walnut, white oak or eastern white pine. Thanks

Ron Wenrich

Walnut has been an important furniture species for centuries.  Cherry has been for quite some time, and maintains a pretty decent market position.  White oak comes and goes in the market, as does sugar maple.  They still return good value.  White pine doesn't command the price, and a lot of that has to do with no veneer value.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

I'd say cherry, walnut, or white oak as well since the properties of these species will always be in high demand as long as people are still using wood.

Look around your area at the natural stands and see what species are doing best on that slope and aspect (aspect is the direction that the slope is facing, i.e. north, south, east, west.  Most species do best on a preferred aspect, like pine on the south facing slope and hardwood on the north facing slope, but this is only a general rule.  The more shade tolerant species do better on the north.  Cherry and walnut are shade intolerant, and would work fine on either, but best on a south aspect.)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!