iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Laser leveling

Started by northwoods1, October 25, 2010, 07:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Seems like having a laser on the mill for leveling would really be helpful, is it and what can anyone tell me about them? How are they mounted on the mill, can you see a line clearly on the entire length of the log, how much do they cost $$, are the worth it? Regards, tc

Chuck White

I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard, lasers loose a lot of their brilliance when they're used outdoors.

Probably the more expensive ones (stronger beam) would be very useful, even in daylight.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

vadimo

If any laser, then green laser. Is more stronger.

D Hagens

I use lasers a lot in construction and my experience is that it all comes down to money and what you're using the lasers for.
For example a cheap laser will work great inside with the lights down low but when their on you can't see anything.
They make lasers for outside use, two of them for instance. The cheaper version you need to wear glasses to see the line and even at that you can't always see the line perfectly. The second one which costs you can see the line without glasses but you pay big money for it and if you can justify it then it's worth it.
I have a self-levelling continuous rotating level that I use for T-bar and it's the best time saving tool that I've ever bought. The price was well over $5000.00 but it's paid for itself many times over.

laffs

id like to have one but  im to cheap to buy one right now.
the mill i worked in we had them on everything and they worked great, they also had a dial on the head rig as a backup.
from what ive seen on the net their pricey. around 1200. im not sure how youd mount one.
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

John Bartley

I bought a cheap ($10) laser level at the local hardware. I took the LED out of it, wired it up to a 9v battery and toggle switch, then mounted it on a sliding jig that clips on and off the rails of the mill. I mark one end, level the other end to where I want to cut (bark, heart, etc.), and lock in the dogs. Then I can set the laser point where I want the band to travel, and set the cut height. It works every time... The level is really just an electronic measuring device without a scale, and it's as simple and cheap as can be. I'll try to get photos for you...

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

bandmiller2

Lasers can be a big help,I would say if your mill  has a roof over it try it with a reasonably cheap or makeshift laser if your mobile and out in the sun forget it.I have a real mill laser on my circular mill,bought from a member here,and its a joy to use especially for edging boards on the mill. The laser is mounted on the roof rafters and is isolated from mill vibration.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Birk-man

Hi Frank,

Can you give more details?  Brand?  Model #?  Cost?  Pictures!

Birkman

bandmiller2

Birkman, I 'll have to look to find a name it came without box or instructions.One of our members works on commercial sawmills and bought three for a job used one,sold me one, and he's keeping one.Paid 150.00 with the power supply.Its a strong laser but even it tends to wash out when the sun is shining in on the log.Sorry me and posting pictures don't get along.Frank C.

Jeff

If you are wanting to use a laser to level a bandmill. I think thats a waste. If you want to use one to find your line of cut, now that's beneficial.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

I can use my cellphone to level

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bandmiller2

Birkman,climbed up to look at the laser in the rafters.Its a Lumberline laser model L-30 made in Yacolt Wa. checked their web site couldn't find a price,but its the most powerfull laser they make.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!