iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need advice on job

Started by wannasaw, October 23, 2010, 08:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannasaw

Messed around and got the biggest job since taking delivery on LT28 in april. Have sawed about 12000 ft. part time since, mostly all pine and some cedar but this looks to me like white cypress and will be aprox. 6-8000 ft. I haven't even had 1 pc. of cypress on the mill so I was wondering what if any differences to expect from the pine and cedar that I have been sawing. most all of this will be 1" siding and the owner said I could take my time. Should we eliminate the pine sol in the water. Any input would be helpful as this is one of those high profile jobs thats happening on a hunt camp and can't afford to lose thirty or so prospective customers at once. That's how I got the job to start with,someone else lost it. Thanks ahead.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

customsawyer

If the cypress is fresh there will be more than enough water in the log and there is no need for pinsol. The cypress bark will give you the most trouble as it is stringy and if it is laying down by your feed chain you can get it bound in a sprocket. The wood will cut like butter and the amount of wood you can get from one blade is amazing as long as the logs are clean. If the logs have any size to them with the swelled butts you will want to learn to cut from the big end. I will be in Hazelhurst all next week if you want to swing by I can show you what I am talking about. The only other thing I can think of is that the small fingers that hang down in the saw dust chute will catch the wet saw dust and it will plug your chute from time to time.
poolman you beat me to the punch on  the reply. In regards to your question about white cypress, I would say that most all the cypress you cut down that way would be white cypress. We have some cypress that grows in small wet areas that is called red cypress or pond cypress by the locals and the bark is a little different, it is also more likely to have rot in it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Bald cypress and pond cypress are the only two.  Pond cypress is very slow growing and not usually large enough to saw for lumber.  The old growth bald cypress had heartwood that was very rot resistant.  It was called Tidewater Red in the trade.  I suspect that the term "red cypress" refers to cypress with heartwood, and that "white cypress" is regular old bald cypress that does not have much heartwood.  Cypress is very long lived, and it take a long time for heartwood development.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sigidi

Can't give much advice to ya on those American timbers wannasaw, but congrats and good luck with it hey!
Always willing to help - Allan

Peter Drouin

Good luck and cut out the fingers in the shute I did and had no trouble at all 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

wannasaw

Thanks for the input guys! It's invaluable because I talk to alot of folks that are more than likely defining the trees by local terms that were handed down to them. I'm thinking from reading the posts that this must be bald cypress that is not all that old. I myself proclaim stupidity from the start. Locals have told me that there's a red and white cypress and I only know that in the walkthrough there were no red hearts in any of these logs. 8"-22". The inclusions are minimal at the base maybe 4" where you could call em 28" logs but no, 22" at most, but the trees are tall and fairly uniform Most recently an elderly knowledgable guy who's family has built several cypress houses brought lightning struck pine logs for us to saw and in passing conversation said that "red cypress would hold up under weather laid horizontal and white would not. He said "white was fine for vertical apps".  Anyhow at least I know blades will go further and we can saw faster than the old pine. Looking forward to a good time and and will produde some pics, Lord willing. And goodbye to the pine sol, yahoo!
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

WDH

Yes, I bet red and white cypress are local terms for bald cypress with and without well developed heartwood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wannasaw

Yea WDH talked to some more guys at work today and think the older bald cypress produces the red hearts. Thanks for the input and I know if I don't produce pics the whole DANG thing never happened.

Thank You Sponsors!