iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatzit? (Shaving horse)

Started by Dave Shepard, October 23, 2010, 05:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

What's the pile of parts on the rosin paper going to be? The corn is in and there's a nip in the air, so it's time to work on something inside.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pigman

A very narrow table. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dave Shepard

This is more of a contraption than a piece of furniture.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

D Hagens

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on October 23, 2010, 07:10:56 PM
shaving horse?

I've been sitting here for the last few minutes racking my brain for that word! :D :D

Dave Shepard

Nah, it's a Schnitzelbank. :D

I started it this afternoon. I roughed out everything on the table saw, then planed all the parts. I'll start the joinery next week. I'll have more pics then.

pigman

I knew it was a drawing horse, but I just couldn't remember the correct name. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

northwoods1

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 23, 2010, 07:33:25 PM
Nah, it's a Schnitzelbank. :D

I started it this afternoon. I roughed out everything on the table saw, then planed all the parts. I'll start the joinery next week. I'll have more pics then.

I swear I looked at the pieces and thought to myself I don't know but I could make a schnitzlebunk out of those pieces :D I should post pics of the one I made. I handforged a pin so the clamping part could be adjustable. I also put some holes in the seat and handforged some dogs that can be used in them to hold chair parts for morticing. I always get envious when I see pics of a shop like yours mine is tiny and packed with stuff no room to move :D

Dave Shepard

I'd like to see some pics of your shaving horse. I was thinking of adding some auxiliary clamping apparatus to mine too, as I don't have a real workbench yet, just the sawhorses with the boards across them. I'm eyeing up some more of that SYP that we have. It's from an old timber that is 12"x14"x50', and over 100 years old. The wood is really nice to work, and would make a nice proper woodworking bench. Even with 6,000 sq. ft., our shop still gets packed.  :-\

northwoods1

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 24, 2010, 10:08:58 AM
I'd like to see some pics of your shaving horse. I was thinking of adding some auxiliary clamping apparatus to mine too, as I don't have a real workbench yet, just the sawhorses with the boards across them. I'm eyeing up some more of that SYP that we have. It's from an old timber that is 12"x14"x50', and over 100 years old. The wood is really nice to work, and would make a nice proper woodworking bench. Even with 6,000 sq. ft., our shop still gets packed.  :-\

Yes, I have some old Fir timbers that I used some of for the seat and main parts of mine, I think the seat is about 3" thick 1' or so wide. I used white oak for the clamping portion. I'll take a few pics we have a rainy day here after 3 weeks of nice weather.

terrifictimbersllc

I remember a Mickey Mouse record from late 50's when I was 5 or 6.   "Is das nicht ein Schnitzelbank? Ya das ist ein Schnitzelbank!!"   Not sure what Mickey had to do with it but the end of the record went "M....I...C....K....E....Y......M....O....U....S....E......Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse, forever let us hold our banner high....Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company.....M..I...C......(see you real soon).....K ....E....Y..(why?   because we like you!!!)   M...O ....U....S...E.....

Jeff you can put this in the now I feel better post with the beetle rant.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

I found those lyrics in a Google search as well. Must be a German folk song.

Phorester

In my shop it'd turn out to be mostly sawdust, shavings and the afore-mentioned kindling.

Brad_bb

Here's mine

That song was in the 1954 movie, Stalag 17.  I had no idea what Schnitzelbank was until someone told me this past weekend.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

SwampDonkey

I've seen them here, but it's been years ago. Dad always used a draw knife to split ash saplings for barrel hoops, fixing old barrels.

Your bench is nice Brad.  :) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

northwoods1

Here is some pics of mine, I built it cause I wanted to make chairs which I never got around to doing yet ::) but it sure is handy to have when I need to put handle on an axe, hammer or whatever. 

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Only one little nit pick gentlemen. You need a nice padded seat.  ;D :)

Dave Shepard

Sometimes the operator comes already equipped with that. ::)

WH_Conley

I resemble that remark.
Bill

SwampDonkey

I didn't want to insult anyone. But, my boney but would be sore after an hour or so. ;D :D

Dave Shepard

I don't have any pics to update, but I've been working on the shaving horse a little bit here and there. I've decided to put the rear legs on a sliding dovetail batten. This is very similar to the batten in the Landis Workbench book where I got the plans for the horse. I did make a little change, in that I tapered the dovetail, so that if it loosens up, I can tap it in a little further, or knock it out to take down the bench for transport. I'll try to get some pics soon.

Thank You Sponsors!