iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rookie question - boring straight holes

Started by Preserved, October 23, 2010, 12:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Preserved

Hi Everyone,

My name is jeff and this is my first post here. I'm gearing up for my first project which is a variation of the Sobon shed.

One lingering concern I have is boring holes for my mortises. I've got a stout 1/2 drill, and will be buying a self feeding bit like this one: http://www.tools-plus.com/milwaukee-48-25-2001.html

I've got a book by Ted Benson and he shows guys boring holes by eye. I'm less confident than that. Any tricks or tips to help to drill a hole perpendicular to the beam? Is it as difficult as I'm thinking?

As much as I'd like, a boring machine or chain morticer is not an option right now.

Thanks!

Stephen1

I've seen people glue a small bubble level on the back or top of the drill, good if your by yourself. the other choice is to have someone keep an eye on the drill as you drill.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Jim_Rogers

In this story I show a jig I made for myself:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13238.0.html

You may be able to make a similar jig and use it to keep your drill bit straight.

The whole disadvantage to using such drill bits is keeping them straight.

And that is the advantage to using a boring machine.

Hope that helps.

(PS. we have a machine for sale for $165 and it's the lowest priced machine we've had in a long time).

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Preserved

Jim,

Is there a picture of that Snell machine somewhere? I couldn't find one for L4?  Is it in good working order? I'll also need a bit correct?

Alexis

Try to stay as far as possible of the drill and you can bore straight enough. The closer you are, the harder it is to see if you are drilling straight.

Alexis

terrifictimbersllc

I have drilled in a little ways then checked the angle with a square. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

northwoods1

I have a boring machine in decent working condition that I'd sell real cheap call it a bargain blowout price, $50+ship I can send pics. regards, tc

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: northwoods1 on October 24, 2010, 08:06:48 AM

I have a boring machine in decent working condition that I'd sell real cheap call it a bargain blowout price, $50+ship I can send pics. regards, tc

If jeff (Preserved) doesn't take you up on that machine, we'd buy it off you and restore it and offer it for sale.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Preserved

Quote from: northwoods1 on October 24, 2010, 08:06:48 AM

TC,

I'm very interested. Sent you a PM and an email (email bounced).

Thank You Sponsors!