iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken-Fried Steak

Started by pappy19, October 22, 2010, 10:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy19

Here's another version of chicken fried steak, cowboy style from the chuck wagon boys in Texas.

Cowboy Chicken-Fried Steak

1  8-ounce rib-eye steak for each cowboy. Recommend about ½" thick.
1 bowl of flour; about 3 cups, 2 heaping tablespoons baking powder, spices (salt, pepper, cayenne or chili powder, ground cumin, 1 tablespoon sugar)
1 bowl of eggs, about 4
1 skillet of lard(or solid Crisco) about 2-3" deep and get it hot to 350

Tenderize meat with butcher knife or pound with mallet. Cut off extra fat around the edges. Slice once up to the middle of the steak or it will curl. Let the steaks sit out for at least 2 hours at room temperature. Season with spices, dust with flour, dip in egg, then flour again. When golden brown, turn once until blood appears and other side is golden brown. Remove from grease and stand on end to drain the grease.

GRAVY

You'll need a gallon of milk, the leftover flour, plus salt and pepper. Dump all but about 1 cup of the lard from the skillet-and don't let it catch fire!! With a large three-tong fork, quickly mix in about a cup of your seasoned flour. Keep the fork moving until you have a nice light brown paste. Now pour in about a quarter of the milk into the skillet and mix the hell out of it. Add salt and pepper to taste and keep adding milk. Mix well until the gravy boils good. Pour over steak, biscuits, spuds or what-have-you.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Texas Ranger

In Texas, you don't have to tenderize a rib-eye, CFS is usually of a lessor cut of beef, hence, the tenderizing.  Rib eye is for the pit.  With a cold long neck. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pappy19

I've had a few ribeyes that could have use some tenderizing. If you have never had a ribeye CFS, then maybe you should try it.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

WH_Conley

I have never met a Ribeye that lasted long enough to be tenderized. : ::)
Bill

D Hagens

When I first met my wife the only way she knew how to tenderize meat was by running it over with a backhoe. :D

Btw pappy19 that sounds like  good recipe. 8)

sawguy21

DW is a big fan of CFS but I am honestly not that crazy about it. It's o.k. but I won't order it in a restaurant.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!