iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wasted cuts?

Started by paul case, October 22, 2010, 09:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

What does one look for to spot a stressed log where the check will grow and split the board as it is being sawn?  One where trying to saw around outside first, beyond the check, isn't a good idea?   Mr. Magic your 31" cherry above must have been pretty stable. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

Another way you can do it is to put the check on a 45 degree angle from the blade and keep the check on the corner the board that way you can trim the defect out of every board. This works best if you have hyd. to turn the log and a edger to trim the little bit of check off of the side of the board. Not every board will have check in it but you can remove it from the log and the lumber this way.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Larry

I think I would have put the check at 45 degrees.  The value in cherry is flat sawn high grade boards and your not gonna get many with the check vertical/horizontal.  Grade sawing that cherry would have taken a lot more time...always a choice.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on November 09, 2010, 05:50:59 AM
Mr. Magic your 31" cherry above must have been pretty stable. 

Stable and very old.  That old gal was over 300 years.

In the above logs and with most Cherry and Walnut, 45° sawing will greatly reduce the number of 12" board that come from the log.

The amount of defect is the same in the log no matter how you saw it.  You can't change that.  Decisions have to be made with each log sawed; where do you want that defect to appear in your lumber, what dimension lumber do you want, what does the customer want.

The majority of my customers want the maximum number of wide boards, hence the reason for orienting the log as illustrated above.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Not saying what you did was wrong MM just giving another option on the check that was in pic. The rest of the log and the customer desires must always be taken into consideration.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

I saw end-checked logs, especially Black Cherry the same way as MM.

My opening cut will have the check parallel with the blade or at 90°, and I will open all 4 sides, but the boards will come off the cant when the check is parallel with the blade.
That will leave the defect in 1 or 2 boards in the middle of the cant.

As MM said, most customers want "wide" cherry lumber.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

wannasaw

well thanks to all for the ADDvice! These logs are green and the check damage isn't severe but a 4" split up could be a 4" to the 10th later.  We'll get it better right next weekend!  MM that is dastardly check you show. I was adding up the boards you saved thinking  "that's why they keep calling him back" YOU THE MAN!
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Magicman

Quote from: customsawyer on November 09, 2010, 08:55:20 AMNot saying what you did was wrong MM just giving another option on the check that was in pic. The rest of the log and the customer desires must always be taken into consideration.

Oh, I don't think that either of us were being augmentative.  New sawyers and us old folks too, need different perspectives on log set up proceedures.  I'll try to do some pictures sawing a log with a severe surface defect or a big old knot turned to the 45° position.  At times, that is the absolute best way to set up. 

I had several "opportunities" today sawing some big old butt flair Cypress.  It didn't have any heart check, but it did present some challenges.  One butt was 34" and the other was 38".  They were about 130 years old.

38" butt cut Cypress.

From the other end.

Bibby'ed down and ready to open the first face.

I hope to finish the Cypress tomorrow and start on the White Oak.  Looks like he also may have a few more Cherry and Sassafras logs.  He said a "couple of days".   ::)  I may still be there next week.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

At least you didn't have to waste time loading a new log for a while, MM! That's some fun looking wood you have there. The cypresses in my yard are maybe 18-20" and I don't think I ever saw a 31" cherry tree but maybe twice around here, and both were quite curved.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Rancher

If a customer is standing there and I am cutting his logs I will be just as chintzy as he (or she) wants me to be. I may suggest what is best as far as a split log but let them make the final decision. For myself there are no wasted cuts on a ranch. If it looks like it might make a board of some size I can use then it will be so. If not, it's firewood.

Dave
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

Peter Drouin

Yes Dave Yes get all you can I do. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!