iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When to Mill (green) Log for D Type Design, at the Time of Cutting or When Dry

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 21, 2010, 01:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I have asked this question as part of different posts but never answered.

When I'm cutting 6 X 8 D Type Logs from a green Log, do I wait until the 6 x 8 has had time to dry properly prior to sizing for D type log ?

Can I Process the D (6 x 8 ) Log with the 410 Moulding Head and then, stack the fully processed (green) log to dry ?

Does anyone know the ... Rough Cutting Size for the ~ 6 X 8 D Type that would be processed with the 410 Moulder ?

I have been guessing at -- 6 1/4  X  8 3/8 to 8 1/2 but don't know. I'm planning on buying the 410 at the end of November. I might be cutting some 6 x 8 logs next week and would like to know the correct rough size.  I could call Norwood but thought someone may own the 410 and know what size to rough cut for 6 X 8's.

Thank's

Avery   
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Jim_Rogers

Whenever I cut timbers for timber frames that will be sized in a four sided planer mill near me they request 1/4" oversize on each side, as that is what their mill will take off in one pass on each face of the timber.

You may need to call them and ask to be sure.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thehardway

If you are doing a finish cut before they are fully dry you had better watch closely for spiral gran in the tree/log.  SYP has a tendency to twist while drying if there is any spiral to it.   If you let it dry before milling some of this can be minimized.  I believe I was told 28 days of cribbed air dry is the minimum that is required by preservers to eliminate some of the worst but even then it is pretty common.    It's amazing how much power these things have when they decide to twist.  Best to use trees without spiral.  Gum is even worse.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

laffs

we used to mill some 6x8s for log cabin manfacturers and milled them to true 6x8 . im not positive but i would think they milled them to 5 1/2 x 7 1/4 that way the could use box store 2x6 for door jambs  and window frames.
Brent
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

Thank You Sponsors!