iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mississippi Muzzleloader Season

Started by fishpharmer, October 21, 2010, 11:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

Since there has been alot of interest in muzzleloaders on this forum I am going to share a little secret about Mississippi primitive weapons regulations.....

"PRIMITIVE WEAPONS
"Primitive firearms" for the purpose of hunting deer, are defined as single or double barreled muzzle-loading rifles of at least .38 caliber; single shot, breech loading, cartridge rifles (.35 caliber or larger) and replicas, reproductions or reintroductions of those type rifles; and single or double-barreled muzzle-loading, shotguns with single ball or slug. All muzzle-loading Primitive Firearms must use black powder or a black powder substitute with either percussion caps or #209 shotgun primers or flintlock ignition. Breech loading single shot rifles must have exposed hammers and use metallic cartridges.  Cartridges may be loaded either with black powder or modern smokeless powder. Scopes of any magnification are allowed on primitive weapons."

I copied that info directly from http://home.mdwfp.com/ContentManagement/Html/htmldownload.aspx?id=13

In MS the .45/70 is the "primitive weapon" of choice, with a nice high powered scope, of course. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Texas Ranger

Seems like my 1871 Mauser in .43 would not qualify, bolt action, no hammer.  Shame.  Had a rolling block that would have worked, but sold it, should have kept it, would not have been sued by the ammo manufacture company that made repro ammo.  Hmm, got a 7 mm rolling block, that'l do it!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

isawlogs

Since there has been alot of interest in muzzleloaders on this forum I am going to share a little secret about Mississippi Québec primitive weapons regulations.....( thanks Fish for writing all that nice intro . )  :)

Black powder and modern powder firearm  Note 2 Note 3

Caribou / moose    Note 1

Muzzle-loading or breech-loading rifles or shotgun without a casing, of a 12.7 mm (.50) calibre or greater: ball-loaded

White-tailled deer,black bear

Muzzle-loading or breech-loading rifles or shotguns, with-out a casing, of a 11 mm (.45) calibre or greater: ball or buckshot must be 7.6 mm (1 buck or SG or .30) in diameter or greater

Note 1 : Hunting for caribou with a shotgun is prohibited.

Note 2 : To hunt white-tailed deer or black bear during the season reserved for muzzle-loading firearms, bows and crossbows, the expression �muzzle-loading firearm� designates muzzle-loading single-barrel shotguns and rifles, of a calibre equal to or greater than 11 millimetres (.45), used with one bullet at a time. The same rule applies for muzzle-loading firearms used during the white-tailed deer hunting season with a shotgun in zone 7.

Note 3 : To hunt moose during the season reserved for muzzle-loading firearms, bows and crossbows, the expression �muzzle-loading firearm� designates muzzle-loading single-barrel shotguns and rifles, of a calibre equal to or greater than 12.7 millimetres (.50), used with one bullet at a time. This hunting season only exists in zones 1 and 10 (east), in zecs Dumoine, Kipawa, Maganasipi and Restigo.

I hunt in two zones here , 10 west where I am heading today this is at my dads and 5 est is here on the farm.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Radar67

Fish, I am not a fan of the new laws on primitive weapons here. To me, primitive is a muzzle load only type firearm (the in-lines are really pushing the boundaries in my opinion), bows, spears, knives, rocks, and such. I guess that's just me, but the mountain men of yesteryear didn't have all this new fangled stuff to hunt with.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Banjo picker

James maybe some of the law makes think like I do that deer , at least around here, need to be changed from game statis to varmet...I use to plant rye grass for my horses , but the deer just come in there in droves and cut it down....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dnalley

texas ranger,  that 7 mm won't qualify.......35 cal at least.  (i think?)

ely

my 45/70 wont qualify either, it has no exposed hammer.

ARKANSAWYER

primitive weapons regulations.   Then in Mississippi I could use my 1873 Springfield 45/70 but then I can use it here in modern gun.
  While I am not a real fan of the in-lines, it is along the lines of bowhunters felt back in the 80's when compound bows came out.  But it did allow lots of hunters with training wheels on their bows take up archery hunting.  That was a good thing.  Crossbows followed and that was good too, as I know several people with shoulder problems who can now bow hunt.
  I do how ever think that in Muzzle Loading Season that is all that should be allowed. (that is what it is called in Arkansas)  I do not believe that scopes should be allowed nor sabot bullets.  If they did not have it in the 1700's then it should not be allowed now.  Some of the in-lines with their scopes and sabot bullets shoot as well as my .270 Win.  They can use their in-lines just take off the scopes and use a patch and ball or cast bullet.
  Just nothing primitive about a 3x9 scope.
ARKANSAWYER

treefarmer87

would my 1874 sharps 45/70 with a malcolm scope qualify 8)? i need to post pics of it on here
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

WH_Conley

I don't if it would qualify, we still need pics though. ;D
Bill

treefarmer87

ill take some tommorrow, shes a beauty. i got her sighted in out to 400 yds. i killed my biggest buck with it (11 pt 18.5" inside spread)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

fishpharmer

Quote from: treefarmer87 on December 17, 2010, 10:33:59 PM
would my 1874 sharps 45/70 with a malcolm scope qualify 8)? i need to post pics of it on here

It would qualify.  Is it an original Sharps?

Want to see pic of deer too.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

treefarmer87

no, not an original. its a pedersoli. ill have to take a pic of the mount ;)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

fishpharmer

The Pedersoli's are nice guns too.  Looking forward to the pics.

treefarmer87

im getting the pics sent to my email, so ill post them when i get em
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!