iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blown clutch

Started by Mark K, October 20, 2010, 06:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark K

Today started off good, skidded 4 hitches this morning. Was on my 5th trip back in, which is close to 3/4 of a mile to the blow down site, backed up and set my hitch. Started to suck winch in and heard a funny noise coming from the bell housing. Put it in forward gear and everything stopped. Ripped the center out of the clutch. Went to my friends house and grabbed him and his fourwheeler along with tools and comealong and headed in. Pulled tranny in the woods, only took about 45 minutes and 2 trips to the truck. I love the ease of working on old Timberjacks. New clutch will be here tomorrow morning. Interested to here what others have tore apart in the woods.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

mad murdock

my worst breakdown experience was in the 1980's during a cold winter in Northern Wisc.  We had a Franklin 132 Forwarder that busted a planetary about 200 yards from the logging road.  Having to take off the planetary cover, and replace the axle and sungear in minus 30 deg. F temperatures was not fun, not to mention the ice cold oil on your hands.  Should have been a 45 minute job, that easily doubled in time because of froze hands and fingers.  I hated working on equipment in the freezing cold.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Autocar

Sounds like a easy machine to repair , nice to have things come togather once in a while for a fellow. Could of been alot worse  ;D
Bill

Maine372

nothing is fun to take apart out in the woods. i heard of a guy that rebuilt the motor in a 608 TJ buncher in the woods.

the worst i ever worked on was the transmission in a TD6 international crawler with a bulldozer attachment. the lift cylinders on the blade were right in the way and you basically had to stand on your head to reach what you were working on.

Bobus2003

Had it stuck in 2 gears and Tore the Clutch out of my JD440 this past spring.. Only installed and pulled the engine 6 times before it was all said, done and operational.. having the skid steer or Processor helped out alot with pulling the engine.. Did it in the woods, machine was down 3 weeks start to finish and the clutch still isn't right

treefarmer87

thats good, hopefully you will be going again tommorow. when i was cutting 3 weeks ago the bolts that hold the drive shaft in came out on my C5 somehow. it busted a pin hole in the fuel tank and we drained the tank in the woods in some 5 gal buckets. put some jb weld on it and had it going the next day.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

John Woodworth

Mechanicaning in the woods, rain, snow and whatever else that can come along is part of the fun of being in the woods, I've done planetry's  o 540 and 640 JD's, steering clutch on a HD-11, inframed a TD-20 and finals on a Drott buncher out in the woods, part of the time building a road to get access, it's all part of the trade.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

amberwood

just completed a fun engine change in the harvester. CAT 3306 threw a leg out of bed 200m from the landing, up a 20degree slope. I am now practiced in the art of excavators as engine cranes.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

northwoods1

First thing that comes to mind is a rear diff. in a C4D tree farmer and naturally it was a real cold winter with about an honest 4' of snow in the woods, can remember how I carried it out by hand to the landing skidder was a good long ways from it, not something I could do anymore :D , I think the next winter the big nuts holding the tires on began to work off the threads. You would be going along skidding and presto the tire/rim/with chains would fall right off. Put it all back together everything looked good, tire fall off again. Did this about 6 times before I could figure out that the nut was walking off the threads even though they looked good. Gosh it was cold like well below zero -10 to -20... another thing that happened with that was when I tore it apart on the landing I was attempting to pull the tire/rim/chains combo off the axle and it fell over on to me on the frozen hard landing. I landed sitting down with the tire on my legs right up to my waist. There was no way I could move that arrangement by myself I sat there waiting 20 minutes for the other cutter/skidder operator to come in to the landing and help me out if he wouldn't have been there working that day I'd probably still be sitting there with that wheel on top of me! I can remember another few jobs where I was working with a guy that had a bobcat feller buncher (worst machine ever invented for in the woods??? gets my vote!) , I've never felt so sorry for anyone as that guy he was having problems with a transfer case & broke down back in the woods. He had to dig out form under the machine to pull off this huge at least 200# cover and all the work had to be done from below. He would pull it all apart, put it all back together, thing would break again. After 3 times it finally held together. Another time that comes to mind is I was running a 540 b and was way back in some hills naturally it was winter. I had to go around a sharp knob to get to some wood which required me to cut a little into the side of the hill so I could make it without tipping over. There was frost in the ground about 6" solid and I was trying to bust through that with the corner of the blade so I could get to the dirt, got the blade hooked under it put it in first or 2nd lifted on blade and she started grunting then BANG  :o the front axle snapped clean off, but the bad part was when machine fell it landed on the tire/rim and broke the axle housing. That was a fun repair. Winter repairs in the woods are the worst. My neighbor has a timbco sitting back in the hills on some property he owns, it had caught on fire and burnt up pretty good. That thing will be there for the rest of eternity the way I have it figured there is no way to get it out no way to fix it!

Mark K

Still waiting for next day air's to come in. Raining pretty good anyways. As long as I get it going by the weekend I'll be happy. I have a feeling running Heavy bear paws on the front and spikes on the back are killing it. Not much for wheel slip there. Clutch looks fairly decent, just ripped the center right out of it. I think I'm going to pull them off and put my spikes back to the front. Seems like every time I put them paws on I tear something up. I wouldn't of used them if it wasn't for the terrain. I've pulled my ring and pinion, cylinder head and driveshafts before on the landing, always made it out of the woods though. My dad say's breakdowns like this "make life interesting". 
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

sawguy21

I remember changing the fuel pump on a small gas crawler in the dark during a snow storm. By the time I finished the snow was too deep to walk to the truck so I plowed a path to the truck then put the crawler on the landing and walked back. First and last time I operated a crawler. That was a long day.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

northwoods1

Quote from: Mark K on October 21, 2010, 09:38:38 AM
I think I'm going to pull them off and put my spikes back to the front. Seems like every time I put them paws on I tear something up. I wouldn't of used them if it wasn't for the terrain.  My dad say's breakdowns like this "make life interesting". 

I always liked to run double or single diamonds on the front after running those bear paws for a while it is a real revelation to take them off :o you can go so much faster without the bump bump bump bump, diamonds are much smoother. Totally agree about chains being harder on the driveline, without any chains and the tire slipping some it is much easier on it plus less tire wear you have to keep the chains real tight I have found. Have to have a good tightner.

John Woodworth

Norwoods1: Baileys has them in  yheir catalog.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

JohnG28

Sorry to hear about you TJ Mark.  Hope you can get it back up and running soon.  Between this weather we had here lately and problems like this it must be tough to get much done down on that site your at.  Hope your back in business soon before this next stretch of rain heading in.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Mark K

Got the new clutch late yesterday and went down before light this morning. We started putting it back together around 7:30 and finished just before 10. Snowing like crazy on them hills down there. Just got home, to muddy to move but at least I'm back up and running. We'll see what Monday brings. JohnG28- stop down next week before I head further south. There moving me about 30 miles further south. Coming back when ground freezes.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

mad murdock

glad to hear your up and running again.  I had to replace the clutch on my Garrett shortly after I acquired it. It was like working on a pickup truck, it is actually a ford transmission, but has a heavier metal disk on the friction plate than what is used on most pickups.  It was nice to work on a piece of heavy equipment without having to break out the jacks, and big prybars.  I hope the weather treats you well there.  In our region, we are supposed to be in for a wet and snowy winter (according to the Almanac), we will see.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treefarmer87

my C5 has a ford transmission in it
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JohnG28

Glad your back in business Mark.  Ill be in touch this week sometime. 
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Stephen Alford

Its great to have a spare clutch and pressure plate. What has gotten scarce around here is a pilot shaft . Seems to be one of those items that goes missing when it is no longer needed.
   A few years back I was yarding some logs with a dozer and winch mid February and the day was a breezy one. Had lag troubles out in the middle of this potato field. Was working on repairs and the land owner came along and said " why don't you fix that in the shed your going the freeze out here"  I thanked him but said there is no door in his shed big enough to get the dozer inside.  He said "ya got a chainsaw don't you ? "  Some pretty great people out there.   :)

logon

Mark K

I'm gonna send my old clutch and pressure plate out next week to get remand. It'll go on the shelf with the rest of the spare parts. Wasn't really down that long, rained all day Thursday so I really didn't loose a day. All's I need is the weather to straighten around.
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

vtlogger1973

.I remember one time I was logging in deep snow on a fairly steep mountain. I couldnt climb any higher up the hill because of the snow, so I got permission from two different landowners to cross thier property so I could get to the top and build a road down. Spent the best part of the next day paddleing my old 450C through the snow to the top of the mountain. Started down plowing snow and building road when the hydraulics started jumping. I had some tools with me so I dropped the belly pan.  Discovered that the main hose from the pump to thr valve body was blown. Took it off and headed down the mountain. There was no way I could follow the dozer tracks with the skidder(sidehill) so i had to carry a new hose and apail of oil about a quarter of a mile uphill through snow nearly to my waist. After replaceing the hose I  had a hard timme getting the belly pan bolts back in because it  was sprung .  Lying on my back, Igot one bolt started and jammed a stick under the other side trying toline the holes up.  I stuck my finger in the hole to see which way it off when , you guessed it, the stick popped out .  There I was like an animal in atrap. Nearly tore my finger off that time. Was able to get my knees under the pan and lift hard enough to get my mangled finger out. I  learned a very valuable lesson that day.

Ed_K

Did finals & traney on a td6 yrs ago. Clutch on the taylor 3yrs ago then pulled the traney,a fuller 5 speed. All on the landing happily. But the worst was center pins an bushings in woods,even rita was Dang ing that day. Right now the taylor is at the truck garage for axle baskets an wheel seals (state don't like seeing oil on the ground)then it's a rebuild on the 453.Only plus here is I don't have skined fingers.minus is it's been down since june.You would not believe what a 4x4 60hp tractor can do when it's all there is :o
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!