iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got educated

Started by bedway, October 20, 2010, 12:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

My wife told me today that i have a jitney, and what i could do with it. :o I was surprised and impressed!

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

submarinesailor

Bedway,

Is your wife from the Philippines-like mine?  The Philippines is the only place I have seen the term jitney: http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/World/Philippines.html

Bruce

terrifictimbersllc

Neat idea,   use one of those for your portable sawmill business and everyone will know who you are!!

Here in Mystic, Connecticut there is a pizza place called Pizzetta which uses a fire truck for pizza parties,  it has been retrofitted with ovens and beer taps, check it out:

http://www.mobilepizzaunit.com/firetruckgallery01.html
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

pineywoods

The term "jitney" was quite common around large sawmills in the deep south up until the early 50's. Refered to cut-down pickup trucks used to tow lumber carts. They went away when small forklifts became available after ww2. Most of the forklifts were towmotor brand. Even to this day, any small forklift is called a towmotor in many areas.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

beenthere

Growing up in IA, often heard the term "jitney" when referred to something like a model T Ford or some similar older vehicle. A term my grandmother quite often used, and she grew up in the East until she married Gpa who was from IA.

I guess I thought it could be used for anything that didn't have a known name. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Around here, the term JITNEY usually means "old vehicle"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

okie

??? I just looked up the definition, jitney means bus or several passenger vehicle.  ???
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

barbender

So, I'm still lost as to what Bedway meant by it ???
Too many irons in the fire

isawlogs

Dont feel bad , ya aint alone  ;D :D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

bandmiller2

Sub salor Bruce,I thought the PI term was jeepney,spent two years at NAS Cubi point.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Radar67

Around here, Jitney is a grocery store. I figured he had to cook his own supper for something he didn't, or did do.  :D
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

He probably did, as the wife handed him the fry pan. That could leave an impression, depending on how much force was used. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Probibly a catchall term like johnson bar,an old term not usally heard today.Frank C.

r.man

Frank, is a Johnson bar a long socket arm that doesn't ratchet?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

weisyboy

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Meadows Miller

Or a Crow bar that would hurt  smiley_argue01 Violin_smiley ;) :D :D :D :D :D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Tom

mad murdock

I thought a Johnson Bar was the trailer brake lever on most trucks that was attached to the brake control, (manufactured by Johnson Controls)?  That bar in the pic on your post Tom, what would that be used for? Levering and moving Barrels?  I have seen them before, but never used one.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Papa1stuff

Maybe moving a train car!!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

captain_crunch

Strange how many differences in word meaning from one part of this contry from one side to other
Old Timers called a fork lift a  jitney. And Johnson bar is the forward reverse control lever on cat transmission(shuttle shift)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

bandmiller2

Like I said Johnson can mean almost anything,we all have one but usally don't use it to pry up machinery.Steam locos engineers called the  valve lever a johnson bar.Tom I had one of those machinery riggers bars, think I left it at work when I retired.Frank C.

barbender

The only time I've heard the term Johnson bar up here was refering to the lever that works the service brakes on the trailer of a tractor/trailer. The only time I've ever used that lever is when hooking up a trailer to make sure the king pin latched. The '09 Pete I was driving last year didn't have one. It seems tradition dies hard with truck manufacturers, look at how many years they had seperate switches for about every light on the truck, turn signals had to be manually switched off, etc. Some of that is finally starting to disappear, I like to just turn on one switch for the lights,  not going through a checklist like I am firing up an airplane or something. Clearance lights-check. Marker lights-check ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Okrafarmer

I was under the impression that Johnson Bar was a catch-all phrase used to denote any very long lever, usually attached to some piece of equipment, and using the operator's brute force alone to lift something up-- ie, the long handles they used to have on old tractors to raise the cultivators up and down, etc. Many old equipment had these things in the days of horses and steam and early gas power. They used leverage and muscle power alone to get something heavy moved on the machine-- that is to say they were "power" lift-- "Armstrong Power-Lift System." Ok, so Armstrong Power was another one of those phrases, and I think Armstrong and Johnson must have invented a lot of machines together. . . . .  ::) ::) ::)
Anyway, that's the story I was told.

Many of the Johnson bars on the old equipment had spring-loaded squeeze handles that let you set the bar in a locking position, then unlock it to move the bar. I think a lot of old circle mills had them, too.

But I think Johnson Bar is just a term for a lever.

Now as for Jitney. . . . Ok, I was also told that the things in the Philippines are Jeepneys. My wife visited the PI's before we were married. Jitneys I don't know for sure, but I wonder if they are related to the jitterbugs of Maine. Usually cut down pickups outfitted for hauling 4' pulpwood or firewood out of the woods (but not generally down the road).
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

sigidi

So come on bedway... what the missus have to say?
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!