iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Help on Buying SYP Tree's (standing) FL, Price $ Fairly to Seller & Buyer ?

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 19, 2010, 11:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I ran a few add's (locally) and just got a call from a man with about 100 SYP for sale.

He say's the SYP is }  Nice size tree's and 150 tall. He did not know the ____ size across but I will see them tomorrow. I was guessing 18 to 20+ inches for older SYP at the height of 150 ft. .

My Question:  What is the Going Rate $ _  _ _ .  _ _   per Thousand for SYP for standing tree's in FL & South AL ?
I just ordered a Doyle Scale from Bailey's last night and it should be here by Monday.

I plan on cutting the tree's on-site and this works fine for me and the seller too.

Also, he has a few Oak and several Gum. I told him I never cut Gum before, is it good for anything ?  What's Oak & Ash worth as standing tree's  ?

I'm Cutting the SYP for   6  X  8 Traditional  D  Log. I don' have the 410 Moulder Bought Yet. Does anyone know the rough sawed size prior to running it through the 410 Moulder with the the 6 X 8 D Log knife set installed ?

I'm guessing >>  6 1/4"   by   8 3/8"  to  8 1/2" for the rough size from my mill. However, I really need to know the correct size before I mill anything. 

Thank's

Avery 

they fall ing. easure thhe
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Ron Scott

See http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/econ/data/prices/

Also best to contact the local conservation district forester, DNR service forester, extension forester, consulting forester, industrial forester, or local mills serving your areas of interest for most current prices.
~Ron

ellmoe

For small tracts of pine sawlogs (20-50 logs), around here, $10/ton is usually the top price paid. When you figure move in costs, there really is not much room for stumpage on such a small quantity.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

H60 Hawk Pilot

Ellmoe

I think the Timber Owner is aware of that (no interest from big operators) ... from what I could tell in my conversation with him. Also, the tract area (about 25 acres) is tight to work (getting in & out).  It has (1) small drive path way around the outside of the property. I forgot to mention the nice size Oak (20 to 26") and Gum ? Tree's. I don't know anything about Gum, the owner mentioned them.

I will say, the Loplolly are nice size, about 30 tree's are 22 to 25 inches across at 4.5 ft height, about 6 more are a little over 25 inches. 

I had a chart with me  and it gave me a the Tree value  $ 42.00 for a 20 inch. tree.  I was told that pine was bringing (on stump) $ 150.00 per Mbf and $ 25.00 per Ton.

I was Straight Up and told him that I had No Idea of the True Cost of his Tree's. He did not say what he had been  offered. His body language told me that he did want a big operator in there to Rip & Strip. I said, that if we got together on Price, I'd selectively cut the nice size tree's and would not tear the place up.

I'm bringing my small (IHC TD 340) dozer from PA this weekend. My dad bought the 340 brand new in 1966. The little dozer has a winch on the back & 6 way blade, does a nice job for it's size. I asked the owner if I could log the property over a period of time and that was fine with him. Also, I can mill the logs on the spot and haul only the lumber out. I was wondering about the ends of the tall  Loplolly, would I sell them for paper wood, would it be worth my trouble. I see trucks all the time around here hauling the pine on bunk trailers. I have a Mack tandem with Prentice loader & bunk set up.  It would cost me $ 1,500. get the Mack down here & license cost too. I could use it around my mill but it's real use is for >> hauling paper wood. The Mack transport cost is most likely a wash ... money wise with the hauling cost to FL. 

I never cut tall pine like this, how (%) many tree's will bust up when they fall. I was guessing that 10% or so would splinter up when they hit with the tall length (over 100 ft high) of them. 

This timber is only 15 miles from my house and that' a big plus. This man is 72 and sort of set in his ways , I'm 62 and about the same way. We connected (so to speak) during my visit there ad just wanted the place thinned out.  I counted about  200 nice size tree's with the hard wood. He's Agreed to... Mark & Scale 50 tree's at a time & pay for them, cut them and do the next  50 tree batch from there.

I did not mean to go into a lot of detail but wanted to outline my intention's to get Advice on Everything.

I have walked through timber with my dad and we bought a lot of standing timber in the 60's to 70's.  I know that all tree's are not winner's. To price low enough to make this  small tract  worth while.  I need enough lumber to build a log home  and would have twice what I need . If I bought 200 tree's, I 'd have (est.) about $ 5,000.00 in the Tree's. I'd have another $ 1,500.00 in > Gas, Oil, & Equipment Wear & Tear.  I did not figure my time & son's labor time. Guessing... 600,000 b f with 10% cutting loss.

How Far Out am I.... on the Costing Break Down on this Timber ?

Thank You

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

WDH

Loblolly will not break and splinter upon felling.  The value of the tops as pulpwood is fairly low and would not be worth the trouble to try and recover, especially if you had to spend $1500 to get set up.  The stumpage values that I gave you on another thread are the going rates for a full scale commercial harvest with full scale logging equipment (Skidders, fellerbuncher, loaders, etc.).  Cutting trees off a small lot that would not support a full scale timber harvest would not command an equivalent price, and you should deserve a discount since the landowner does not have a better alternative.  If you are happy with paying the prevailing stumpage price for a full scale commercial harvest, then go for it.  Otherwise, discounting the price is a fair alternative.  Good luck.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

H60 Hawk Pilot

WDH

Thank You for Your Advice.

That's a Mighty Handsome Blood Hound There.

I'm thinking about the $$ middle of the road deal with this gentleman. The going price for a Commerical Operator to come in and some discounting back to me for select cutting and taking care of his property. He does now seem to be in a big rush to cut this timber. His property is gated and only one way in there.  I was thinking about leaving my mill set up there... on a day to day basis.

We have not established the final $ price. He told me when I was leaving.... he felt we could work together and he'd wait until I called him to back to set the figure's & close the deal between us.

Avery

Thank You Sponsors!